Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vi single character change
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Vi single character change Post 302087239 by dsravan on Wednesday 30th of August 2006 01:49:00 PM
Old 08-30-2006
One more question

Thanks Vgresh. One more question please.

What does

Quote:
[^_] represent in the code
?

^ signifies starting of the line. But what does _ represent?

I appreciate your reply.

Thanks friend.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

reading a single character in C

Can anyone help me????? My problem is that i want to read only one charcter from keyboard. Each time my program waits to press enter or ^d. I don't want that. As soon as i press a charcter it should proceed to next statement in program without pressing enter or ^d. please help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alodha
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single character wildcard for SED

Could someone tell me the single character wildcard for SED? I have the file below: $ more input2 AAA /A/B/C BBB /D/E/F CCC /G/H/I DDD I want to remove all strings which contain forward slashs "/" to get the below: AAA BBB CCC I tried to do it in SED by the command below but I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to remove single character from a line

Here is a sample code grep '903' -i user.txt | tail -2 | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/B//g' the input file has data as such 903-xxx-xxxxB 903-xxx-xxxxB It is a dialer file i want to remove the "B" any help thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iz3k34l
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change case of single character in pattern

Using UNIX tools, but not using GAWK (NAWK is OK), is there a more elegant way to achieve this: sed ' s/_a/_A/1 s/_b/_B/1 s/_c/_C/1 rest of alpahabet ' I want to change the case of a single character in each string of a text file. The character will be matched by regex '_' and only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - setting fs to equal any single character

Hi Does anyone know how to set any character as the field separator with awk/nawk on a solaris 10 box. I have tried using /./ regex but this doesnt work either and im out of ideas. thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chronics
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backspace to delete a single character

Hi I normally use backspace to delete a single on my local machine in cygwin. Now I am trying cygwin on a virtual machine and when I type 'backspace', instead of a single character being deleted, the entire word gets deleted. How do I change the settings for it? I read somewhere that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
2 Replies

8. Programming

Macro to put single quotes around character

Dear Mates, I am trying to write a macro to replace with its arguments with singles quotes around each argument. #define DECR(a,b,c,d,e) decr('a','b','c','d','e') if the usage is DECR(k,e,y,s,\0) I want it to be replaced with the following decr('k','e','y','s','\0') However it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamil.pamaran
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match character with single quote?

I need to check whether first character of variable is single quote. I tried the below constructions but they are all not working (always return true) if (test `echo "$REGEXP" |cut -c1` != "'"); then echo "TRUE"; fi if (test `echo "$REGEXP" |cut -c1` != '\''); then echo "TRUE"; fi if (test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to repeat a character in a field if it's a single character?

I have a csv dataset like this : C,rs18768 G,rs13785 GA,rs1065 G,rs1801279 T,rs9274407 A,rs730012 I'm thinking of use like awk, sed to covert the dataset to this format: (if it's two character, then keep the same) CC,rs18768 GG,rs13785 GA,rs1065 GG,rs1801279 TT,rs9274407... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nengcheng
7 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)