Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users iostat output what is that mean Post 302086833 by foongkt5220 on Monday 28th of August 2006 12:12:50 AM
Old 08-28-2006
iostat output what is that mean

Hi all,

i have run iostat -em, and get below result. Can i know what is this output meaning, and how to fix that problem.

iostat -em
---- errors ---
device s/w h/w trn tot
sd7 0 1 0 1
sd8 1 1 0 2
sd9 0 1 0 1
sd10 0 0 0 0
sd13 0 0 0 0
st11 0 0 0 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

iostat -e / -E output explanation

Hi all, hope you are having a nice day, its nice and warm today in Canberra Australia. iostat -e / -E reports soft and hard errors. Any idea what these are exactly? All I hear are I/O's failing and needing to retry, but no cause as to why they fail. My SUN guru tells me its our EMC SAN... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottman
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting output from iostat

So I use Cacti for monitoring IO statistics on my servers, now originally I couldnt monitor Multipath deviced servers as they have alot of /dev/sdxx and /dev/emcpowerxx, I have devised a method of trimming them down to just the actual devices but the issue is the output looks like so. # iostat... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RiSk
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding greatest value in a column using awk from iostat output in linux

Friends, . On linux i have to run iostat command and in each iteration have to print the greatest value in each column. e.g iostat -dt -kx 2 2 | awk ' !/sd/ &&!/%util/ && !/Time/ && !/Linux/ {print $12}' 4.38 0.00 0.00 0.00 What i would like to print is only the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding greatest value in a column using awk from iostat output in linux

Friends, Need some help. On linux i have to run iostat command and in each iteration have to print the greatest value in each column. e.g iostat -dt -kx 2 2 | awk ' !/sd/ &&!/%util/ && !/Time/ && !/Linux/ {print $12}' 4.38 0.00 0.00 0.00 WHhat i would like to... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
15 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

iostat output vs TPC output (array layer)

Hi Guys, I've been having some arguments with my colleagues about one thing. Always my thought was that as as far as disk performance is concern by looking at the output of the iostat command (AIX) you would be able to identify if you have a hot disk and then by moving some files out that disk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
3 Replies

6. AIX

Help with iostat

Hello, I support Oracle 11g on AIX 7.1. Using the command $iostat -D hdisk2 hdisk4 hdisk5 5 I get the following output: hdisk5 xfer: %tm_act bps tps bread bwrtn 44.0 1.4M 178.2 1.4M 14.7K read: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracledba1024
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Unmatched ssd create huge unuseful iostat output

My scheduled collection of statistics is giving very large output because of an high number of ssd device not associated to any disk The iostat -x command is collecting statistics from them and the output is very large. I.g. if a run iostat -x|tail +3|awk '{print $1}'>f0.txt.$$ iostat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sun-mik
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Asvc_t values in iostat output

Noticed that asvc_t values in iostat command outputs are mostly more than 100 in our previous iostat analysis. Also found the following detail from an alternate site IO Bottleneck - Disk performance issue - UnixArena ---- 1. asvc_t average service time of active transactions, in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saraperu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to get the parsed output of "iostat" command

Hi, I have a requirement where parsed output from various linux commands like top, netstat, iostat, etc. will be the input for one javascript with the parsed output from these commands converted to JSON format For "iostat" command, since there are two outputs - one w.r.t CPU utilization and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopivallabha
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to parse iostat command output

Hi, I got the code below is one of the threads from this forum. lineCount=$(iostat | wc -l) numDevices=$(expr $lineCount - 7); iostat $interval -x -t | awk -v awkCpuFile=$cpuFile -v awkDeviceFile=$deviceFile -v awkNumDevices=$numDevices ' BEGIN { print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopivallabha
2 Replies
IOSTAT(1)							Linux User's Manual							 IOSTAT(1)

NAME
iostat - Report Central Processing Unit (CPU) statistics and input/output statistics for devices and partitions. SYNOPSIS
iostat [ -c | -d ] [ -k ] [ -t ] [ -V ] [ -x [ device ] ] [ interval [ count ] ] DESCRIPTION
The iostat command is used for monitoring system input/output device loading by observing the time the devices are active in relation to their average transfer rates. The iostat command generates reports that can be used to change system configuration to better balance the input/output load between physical disks. The first report generated by the iostat command provides statistics concerning the time since the system was booted. Each subsequent report covers the time since the previous report. All statistics are reported each time the iostat command is run. The report consists of a CPU header row followed by a row of CPU statistics. On multiprocessor systems, CPU statistics are calculated system-wide as averages among all processors. A device header row is displayed followed by a line of statistics for each device that is configured. The interval parameter specifies the amount of time in seconds between each report. The first report contains statistics for the time since system startup (boot). Each subsequent report contains statistics collected during the interval since the previous report. The count param- eter can be specified in conjunction with the interval parameter. If the count parameter is specified, the value of count determines the number of reports generated at interval seconds apart. If the interval parameter is specified without the count parameter, the iostat com- mand generates reports continuously. REPORTS
The iostat command generates two types of reports, the CPU Utilization report and the Device Utilization report. CPU Utilization Report The first report generated by the iostat command is the CPU Utilization Report. For multiprocessor systems, the CPU values are global averages among all processors. The report has the following format: %user Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the user level (application). %nice Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the user level with nice priority. %sys Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the system level (kernel). %idle Show the percentage of time that the CPU or CPUs were idle. Device Utilization Report The second report generated by the iostat command is the Device Utilization Report. The device report provides statistics on a per physical device or partition basis. The report may show the following fields, depending on whether -x and -k options are used or not: Device: This column gives the device name, which is displayed as hdiskn with 2.2 kernels, for the nth device. It is displayed as devm-n with newer kernels, where m is the major number of the device, and n a distinctive number. When -x option is used, the device name as listed in the /dev directory is displayed. tps Indicate the number of transfers per second that were issued to the device. A transfer is an I/O request to the device. Mul- tiple logical requests can be combined into a single I/O request to the device. A transfer is of indeterminate size. Blk_read/s Indicate the amount of data read from the drive expressed in a number of blocks per second. Blocks are equivalent to sectors with post 2.4 kernels and therefore have a size of 512 bytes. With older kernels, a block is of indeterminate size. Blk_wrtn/s Indicate the amount of data written to the drive expressed in a number of blocks per second. Blk_read The total number of blocks read. Blk_wrtn The total number of blocks written. kB_read/s Indicate the amount of data read from the drive expressed in kilobytes per second. Data displayed are valid only with kernels 2.4 and later. kB_wrtn/s Indicate the amount of data written to the drive expressed in kilobytes per second. Data displayed are valid only with ker- nels 2.4 and later. kB_read The total number of kilobytes read. Data displayed are valid only with kernels 2.4 and later. kB_wrtn The total number of kilobytes written. Data displayed are valid only with kernels 2.4 and later. rrqm/s The number of read requests merged per second that were issued to the device. wrqm/s The number of write requests merged per second that were issued to the device. r/s The number of read requests that were issued to the device per second. w/s The number of write requests that were issued to the device per second. rsec/s The number of sectors read from the device per second. wsec/s The number of sectors written to the device per second. rkB/s The number of kilobytes read from the device per second. wkB/s The number of kilobytes written to the device per second. avgrq-sz The average size (in sectors) of the requests that were issued to the device. avgqu-sz The average queue length of the requests that were issued to the device. await The average time (in milliseconds) for I/O requests issued to the device to be served. svctm The average service time (in milliseconds) for I/O requests that were issued to the device. %util Percentage of CPU time during which I/O requests were issued to the device. OPTIONS
-c The -c option is exclusive of the -d option and displays only the cpu usage report. -d The -d option is exclusive of the -c option and displays only the device utilization report. -k Display statistics in kilobytes per second instead of blocks per second. Data displayed are valid only with kernels 2.4 and later. -t Print the time for each report displayed. -V Print version number and usage then exit. -x device Display extended statistics. If no device is given on the command line, then extended statistics are displayed for every device reg- istered in the /proc/partitions file. Please note that Linux kernel needs to be patched for this option to work. ENVIRONMENT
The iostat command takes into account the following environment variable: S_TIME_FORMAT If this variable exists and its value is ISO then the current locale will be ignored when printing the date in the report header. The iostat command will use the ISO format (YYYY-MM-DD) instead. EXAMPLES
iostat Display a single history since boot report for all CPU and Devices. iostat -d 2 Display a continuous device report at two second intervals. iostat -d 2 6 Display six reports at two second intervals for all devices. BUGS
/proc filesystem must be mounted for iostat to work. FILE
/proc/stat contains system statisitics. /proc/partitions contains statistics for the devices. AUTHOR
Sebastien Godard <sebastien.godard@wanadoo.fr> SEE ALSO
vmstat(8), sar(1), mpstat(1) http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sebastien.godard/ Linux JANUARY 2002 IOSTAT(1)