Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: read a list one at a time
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read a list one at a time Post 302086809 by blowtorch on Sunday 27th of August 2006 09:45:24 PM
Old 08-27-2006
Hi nortypig,
If I could suggest a couple of improvements in the code:
Code:
user=`cut -d" " -f$count file.txt`

This does exactly what you are doing, just more efficiently.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal Hungup at the time of read

Hi, There are two scripts. The second script is called from the first one. These will create two processes on unix. In the second script, there is a read statement in the while loop. Under unexpected conditions, at the time of reading response from the user, if the terminal hungup happens,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pkusumam
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read max of 10 file at a time?

Hi All, Please advise . Welcome more suggestions. For examples, I have 1000 file with prefix x??? In fact, I want to convert them to x???.txt with max 10 files at a time. As such, I will need to call another script to read from those 10 *txt files and sleep 5000 to convert the next 10 again.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cedrichiu
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read/process a .gz file, one line at a time?

Hello I'm stuck trying to solve this KSH issue and I'm hoping someone out there can offer some suggestions. I want to read lots of large .gz files one line at a time in order to compare its Error entries with a list of known errors. I can't simply do "foreach ERROR do gzcat *.gz |grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayscripter
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read two files at a time.

Hi friends, It's urgent. I am facing a problem. I want to read two files at a time, i mean line by line. My requirement is like , pls here find below while read line1fromfile1;do echo $line1fromfile1| .. echo $line1fromfile2---How i will do this done< file 1 can anyone... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File read time

hi, how to check the file latest read time.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read two lines at time from a file

Hello community, what I need to do is read 2 rows at time from a file. I have this simple solution: File to read: LINE1 LINE2 LINE3 LINE4 LINE5 LINE6 LINE7 LINE8Read routine:#!/bin/ksh sed '1,3d' /out.txt | while read line; do read line2 echo $line $line2 doneResult:LINE1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read multiple lines at a time from file

Hello All, I have a file like below.... dn: cn=user1,ou=org,o=org cn=user1 uid=user1 cn=user2,ou=org,o=org cn=user2 uid=user2 cn=user3,ou=org,o=org cn=user3 cn=user33 uid=user3 cn=user4,ou=org,o=org cn=user4 uid=user4 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
6 Replies

9. IP Networking

Read() time out in socket programming

Hi, When can the read() system call gives timeout error when the same connection worked for writing data to the other end of the socket, while the next call with read() gives timeout error? Can anyone please explain when this kind of situation appears? Thanks, Sanzee (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read one row at time using shell script?

Hello Team, I need information on how to read one row at time using shell script. For example i have below data. service-description servername warning critical mountpoint disk-usage-tmp generic-service test1 80 90 /tmp disk-usage-var ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghpradeep
6 Replies
head(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   head(1)

NAME
head - give first few lines SYNOPSIS
count] [file ...] Obsolescent: [file ...] DESCRIPTION
prints on standard output the first count lines of each of the specified files, or of the standard input. If count is omitted it defaults to 10. If multiple files are specified, outputs before each file a line of this form: file Options The quantity of output is measured in bytes. The number of units of output. This option is provided for backward compatibility (see below) and is mutually exclusive of all other options. The quantity of output is measured in lines; this is the default. The number of lines (default) or bytes output. count is an unsigned decimal integer. If (or is not given, the default quantity is 10. This option provides the same func- tionality as the option, but in a more standard way. Use of the option is recommended where portability between systems is important. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of text within file as single and/or multi-byte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
The length of the input lines is limited to bytes. SEE ALSO
tail(1), cat(1), more(1), pg(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
head(1)