Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Inserting character in every line Post 302086610 by rein on Friday 25th of August 2006 07:54:29 AM
Old 08-25-2006
For example if you want the character at the beginning of each line:

sed 's/^/character/g' file1 > file2

or if you want to substitue a specific character replace ^ with that character.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a character in a data file

Can some one tell me how I can insert a "|" (pipe) at the 15th column throughout a file? examples: to insert at begining of line i use :g/^/s//\|/ to insert at ene of line i use :g/$/s//\|/ how can i insert at the 15th column position. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting a character between string

i have a file contains like this: i want to create a script that will insert a comma "." after the 10th character so it would be look like this thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakid
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Inserting a line before the line which matches the patter

Hi Is there any command where we can insert a line "2|||" before every line starting with "3|" my input is as follows 1|ETG|12345 3|79.58|||GBP|| 1|ETG|12345 3|79.58|||GBP|| 1|ETG|12345 2|EN_GB||Electrogalvanize 0.5 m2 ( Renault ) 1|ETG|12345 3|88.51|||GBP|| desired output... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi131
10 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting newline in front of multi-character string

I'm working with a large file with multiple records, each record begins with ISA. The issue is, sometimes ISA is at the start of the line, sometimes it's in the middle of the line. So before I can csplit my main file into multiple records, I have to get each record header onto its own line. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] SED - Bash - Inserting multi Tab character in the command

Hello. I am using : sed -i -e '/§name_script§/a#'"${MY_TAB11}"'# \ #'"${MY_TAB1}"'The Standard way'"${MY_TAB7}"'# \ #'"${MY_TAB1}"'==============='"${MY_TAB7}"'# \ ' "$CUR_FILE" Is there a better way to define "MY_TAB7","MY_TAB11" in other way than : MY_TAB1=$'\t' MY_TAB2=${MY_TAB1}$'\t'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting a specific line and inserting a new line after commented line.

Hello All, I have following file contents cat file #line=aaaaaa #line=bbbbbb #line=cccccc #line=dddddd line=eeeeee #comment=11111 #comment=22222 #comment=33333 #comment=44444 comment=55555 Testing script Good Luck! I would like to comment line line=eeeeee and insert a new line... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Inserting non printable character(s) in string variable

Hello. I have a string variable named L_TEMP to test a very simple filter. L_TEMP="50AwL.|KWp9jk" I want to insert a non printable character between K and W. I have try this : linux-g65k:~ # a='50AwL.|K' linux-g65k:~ # b='Wp9jk' linux-g65k:~ # L_TEMP="$a$'\x07'$b" linux-g65k:~ # echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a header with special character

Hi, I am trying to insert header row with a special character delimiter with Unicode u0109 into a file with ‘echo’, header looks like below echo –e “header1\u0109header\u0109header3\u0109header4” It just inserting as it is in the quotes but not the special character, Please suggest if am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oom
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a non printable character in a file

For some testing I want to insert a non printable character in a file. How to do it? I inserted ctrl-v ctrl-k through vi. But I do not think it is a proper non printable character. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
3 Replies
OSACOMPILE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					     OSACOMPILE(1)

NAME
osacompile -- compile AppleScripts and other OSA language scripts SYNOPSIS
osacompile [-l language] [-e command] [-o name] [-d] [-r type:id] [-t type] [-c creator] [-x] [-s] [-u] [-a arch] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
osacompile compiles the given files, or standard input if none are listed, into a single output script. Files may be plain text or other compiled scripts. The options are as follows: -l language Override the language for any plain text files. Normally, plain text files are compiled as AppleScript. -e command Enter one line of a script. Script commands given via -e are prepended to the normal source, if any. Multiple -e options may be given to build up a multi-line script. Because most scripts use characters that are special to many shell programs (e.g., AppleScript uses single and double quote marks, ``('', ``)'', and ``*''), the command will have to be correctly quoted and escaped to get it past the shell intact. -o name Place the output in the file name. If -o is not specified, the resulting script is placed in the file ``a.scpt''. The value of -o partly determines the output file format; see below. -x Save the resulting script as execute-only. The following options are only relevant when creating a new bundled applet or droplet: -s Stay-open applet. -u Use startup screen. -a arch Create the applet or droplet for the specified target architecture arch. The allowable values are ``ppc'', ``i386'', and ``x86_64''. The default is to create a universal binary. The following options control the packaging of the output file. You should only need them for compatibility with classic Mac OS or for cus- tom file formats. -d Place the resulting script in the data fork of the output file. This is the default. -r type:id Place the resulting script in the resource fork of the output file, in the specified resource. -t type Set the output file type to type, where type is a four-character code. If this option is not specified, the creator code will not be set. -c creator Set the output file creator to creator, where creator is a four-character code. If this option is not specified, the creator code will not be set. If no options are specified, osacompile produces a Mac OS X format script file: data fork only, with no type or creator code. If the -o option is specified and the file does not already exist, osacompile uses the filename extension to determine what type of file to create. If the filename ends with ``.app'', it creates a bundled applet or droplet. If the filename ends with ``.scptd'', it creates a bun- dled compiled script. Otherwise, it creates a flat file with the script data placed according to the values of the -d and -r options. EXAMPLES
To produce a script compatible with classic Mac OS: osacompile -r scpt:128 -t osas -c ToyS example.applescript SEE ALSO
osascript(1), osalang(1) Mac OS X November 12, 2008 Mac OS X