Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Clean Text File
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Clean Text File Post 302086530 by kris01752 on Thursday 24th of August 2006 02:24:45 PM
Old 08-24-2006
Clean Text File

HI,
I have a file which comes from crystal reports in the below format.
I need to clean the file so that i will only have the columns(deptid,empid,ename,sal) and the data below the column names.
There is a bug in the repoting tool( we only see page1-1 for every department).The rundate change dynamically and the number of departments changes dynamically.

Rpt 001 - Employee Master RunDate:08/03/2006
Parameter
Employee: ALL
Sal: ALL

deptid empid ename sal

100 1 Thomas 2000
100 2 Brian 7000

Page -1 of 1

Parameter

deptid empid ename sal

200 1 Thomas 2000
200 4 Brian 7000

Page -1 of 1

Parameter

deptid empid ename sal

300 4 Thomas 2000
300 5 Brian 7000

Page -1 of 1

Can some one help me in writing the script

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clean file in single action

What one finds challenging another finds simple... (HPUX B.11.11) I have a text file named something like 12345.dst that could look like this: DOG CAT NONE TEST CAT What I want to end up with is 12345.dst looking like this: CAT DOG TEST removing "NONE" should it be there and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djp
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clean File

BeginDate 07/01/06 End: 07/31/06 Cust: A02991 - Burnham 0002000 5,829,773 145.3 0009701 4,043,850 267.3 2005000 286,785.13 100.0 BeginDate 07/01/06 End: 07/31/06 Cust: A01239 - East Track PSE Index A 0009902 317,356.82 890.2 0020021 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris01752
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Clean directories by reading from file

I have a file in following format directory1=/out/log purgedays1=4 extn1=log,out,txt directory2=/clean/log purgedays2=4 extn2=log,out now i need need to create a script that reads this file and cleans all the files with the given extn from the given directory. The catch here is that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_payne1234
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to clean up file system

Hi, Has anyone ever encountered the following scenario: I am working on a SUN server with solaris 10 installed and veritas managing the filesystem. One of the file systems has become full: df -kh /ossrc/dbdumps Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeidel
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to clean up file systems

As you will verify, I am a really naive user of AIX 5.1. As such I wonder if you could possibly let me know of a command or procedure I could use to automatically, globally and safely, remove all useless files from my machine. I'm not referring to my own files because I perfectly know which of them... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjchr
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

noob question - is awk the tool to clean dirty text files?

Hi, nevermind. I think I've found the answer. It appears I was looking for index, match, sub, and gsub. I want to write a shell script that will clean the html out of a bunch of files and format the data for import into excel. Awk seems like a powerful tool, but it seems oriented to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogert909
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

clean passwd file based on db table (master)

The purpose of this script is to scan the /etc/passwd file one line at a time comparing the usernames to the usernames found in a database table. I will later locked every account which is not in the database table. I have export the userlist from the database in a file (/tmp/userlist). It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Banks187
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clean console output routed to a file

A friend routed some console output to a file for me. The problem is he used backspace and escape sequences all over the place. Using vi to view the file makes it difficult to read. Is there a program that will process the backspaces and remove the escape sequences? e.g., bash-3.00$ pwd^ (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddyq
5 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Regular expression (regex) clean up text

Hi, Server - MEDIAWIKI - MYSQL - CENTOS 5 - PHP5 I have a database import of close to a million pages into my wiki, mediawiki site, the format that were left with is not pretty, and I need to find a way to clean this up and present it nicely... I think regex is the best option as I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] help clean up file movement script

Hello Group, Once again another script hacked together from a few sources to try and suit my needs. This is to go through a /temp directory and for each ls entry ask which Dir of three I want it sorted. The script works but there are a few behaviors that are odd so I figured I'd ask for help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpreviti
2 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD