Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Users with login privileges
Operating Systems Linux Users with login privileges Post 302086178 by reborg on Tuesday 22nd of August 2006 07:17:26 PM
Old 08-22-2006
getent passwd ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sysadmin LOGIN msgs for all users

Is there a way, as sysadmin, to put out system msgs, ie scheduled downtime, backup info, etc, whenever users log in? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tracking activities of Users using a particular login.

Hi!! Experts, I have a typical scenario here in which several users have access to a particular login .. say "build". None of the users know the passwd for this login. The name of some of the user have been to .rhosts file. The users can connect only by doing a rlogin to this id and then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
4 Replies

3. AIX

Change users login name

Hi, I need to change some users login name in AIX. With solaris i donīt had problems, i have used "usermod". But in AIX the usermod command donīt have the same behavior. Can someone give me a tip on how to perform these changes? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacewalker
9 Replies

4. Solaris

restricting users privileges and logging their activities

Hello, I'm administrating new installed cluster that runs Legato Networker and Oracle 9. And I want to restrict the use of root to my self and givr the application and DBA the proper and needed privileges to do their duties without hassle in addition I would like to log users activities. my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sh_ksa
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

last login date and time for all users

I need a command that will list all the users and their last login date & time. I was trying the last command and the who command, but can't get exactly what I need. I just need the output to be user name and last login date . Thanks for your help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: igidttam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

users login

Hello everyone I need to send to a file the last command from all users who log in and log out by week or month. My questions are I can do it with the command or I need to do a script ? If the answer is I need to do a script, someone can help me because Im complete new to make a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

No users can login

Dear Forum, I had this case before, all of sudden all users including root can't login. What done is by connecting to console port and resetting root password, "pwunconv" command, reboot server. My question is, how this can happen??? thanks :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: irda
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Passwordless Login between users

Hi Gurus, Wanted to know if there is a way to enable passwordless login between specific users in a Solaris (5.9)server. I copied the public key of first user into the $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys file of the second user. But it didn't work out. Note - Am talking about users in the same... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Disable users to direct login

Hi all, how can I disable direct login to a Solaris system not only for root user but also for other accounts? Looking in google I came to the following: For telnet (/etc/default/login): disable root access> CONSOLE=/dev/console disable generic user> ? For ssh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Evan
5 Replies
sudo_root(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      sudo_root(8)

NAME
sudo_root - How to run administrative commands SYNOPSIS
sudo command sudo -i INTRODUCTION
By default, the password for the user "root" (the system administrator) is locked. This means you cannot login as root or use su. Instead, the installer will set up sudo to allow the user that is created during install to run all administrative commands. This means that in the terminal you can use sudo for commands that require root privileges. All programs in the menu will use a graphical sudo to prompt for a password. When sudo asks for a password, it needs your password, this means that a root password is not needed. To run a command which requires root privileges in a terminal, simply prepend sudo in front of it. To get an interactive root shell, use sudo -i. ALLOWING OTHER USERS TO RUN SUDO
By default, only the user who installed the system is permitted to run sudo. To add more administrators, i. e. users who can run sudo, you have to add these users to the group 'admin' by doing one of the following steps: * In a shell, do sudo adduser username admin * Use the graphical "Users & Groups" program in the "System settings" menu to add the new user to the admin group. BENEFITS OF USING SUDO
The benefits of leaving root disabled by default include the following: * Users do not have to remember an extra password, which they are likely to forget. * The installer is able to ask fewer questions. * It avoids the "I can do anything" interactive login by default - you will be prompted for a password before major changes can happen, which should make you think about the consequences of what you are doing. * Sudo adds a log entry of the command(s) run (in /var/log/auth.log). * Every attacker trying to brute-force their way into your box will know it has an account named root and will try that first. What they do not know is what the usernames of your other users are. * Allows easy transfer for admin rights, in a short term or long term period, by adding and removing users from the admin group, while not compromising the root account. * sudo can be set up with a much more fine-grained security policy. * On systems with more than one administrator using sudo avoids sharing a password amongst them. DOWNSIDES OF USING SUDO
Although for desktops the benefits of using sudo are great, there are possible issues which need to be noted: * Redirecting the output of commands run with sudo can be confusing at first. For instance consider sudo ls > /root/somefile will not work since it is the shell that tries to write to that file. You can use ls | sudo tee /root/somefile to get the behaviour you want. * In a lot of office environments the ONLY local user on a system is root. All other users are imported using NSS techniques such as nss-ldap. To setup a workstation, or fix it, in the case of a network failure where nss-ldap is broken, root is required. This tends to leave the system unusable. An extra local user, or an enabled root password is needed here. GOING BACK TO A TRADITIONAL ROOT ACCOUNT
This is not recommended! To enable the root account (i.e. set a password) use: sudo passwd root Afterwards, edit the sudo configuration with sudo visudo and comment out the line %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL to disable sudo access to members of the admin group. SEE ALSO
sudo(8), https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo February 8, 2006 sudo_root(8)