Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mail delivered successfully?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mail delivered successfully? Post 302086055 by cbkihong on Tuesday 22nd of August 2006 12:22:41 AM
Old 08-22-2006
As Corona688 said, the only way is to poll the postmaster mailbox for bounce messages. As mail are sent from a queue and sent asynchronously, your script will only know that it is accepted for delivery by sendmail, that puts the mail into the queue, but it doesn't mean it can be sent. Worse still, if the recipient machine has problems, even though a mail has been received by the receiving server it may not actually deliver the message.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Successfully Installed Solaris 8 after all.

Hello There, Aftar all i successfully installed Solaris 8 on my Primary Slave 2nd Hard disk. Here what i did. I kept my first hard disk (Windows Me) on primary Master and put my new 2nd hard disk on Primary Slave, CDROM is on Secondary slave. When i install solaris8 it ask me two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
0 Replies

2. AIX

Alert on successfully logins

Hi, How difficult would it be to configure an alert on AIX that will inform me every time someone logs into the system? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing a log file of delivered mails

Hi, I have a program which creates some report and sends it to the users. There are around 15000 users . I guess because of this huge number the mail exchange server is unable to deliver all the mails. So i want to create a log to see who are all the user to whom the report was delivered. I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnagendr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script has been executed successfully or not??

Guys, How can we know whether a script has been executed successfully or not ? We dont have any log directories, and we are not given a chance to modify the script. Could someone help me out with this Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot successfully execute .sh: su - <name> -c

Hi All, First time poster, I hope I have the basics covered. I am trying to execute a .sh but finding I am getting inconsistent results. A fresh set of eyes would be great. I am using Solaris 10 zones. So I am trying to execute a script but I am getting different results between... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: att01
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail not getting delivered to user

Hi, There is a unix box in production from which mails will be sent to user/group. From this box, many mails will be sent. But only for one mail which is sent from the box, it is showing a message like "Deferred: 421 Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.4675 ready at Service not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to inform the target that a file was delivered to the FTP directory?

Hi, I have a FTP server and a directory location where i will be FTPing the flat file. My requirement is After the flat file was generated to the location, i need to write some trigger file or something to inform them that the file was delivered to them. Please let me know how i can do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Did my script execute successfully ?

Hi, I have two scripts viz and I am running them in background. I wish to know if both the scripts completed execution successfully. So this is what I have done /tmp/commet/bin/connectdb1.sh & condb1=$? /tmp/commet/bin/connectdb2.sh & condb2=$? However, I am getting error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Mail not getting delivered

Hi I seem to have a problem in my solaris 10server, when I type mailx the following pop up: mailx mailx version 5.0 Type ? for help. "/var/mail//moneta": 109 messages 1 new 109 unread U100 Mail Delivery Subs Thu Sep 17 04:34 133/5631 Warning: could not send m U101 moneta ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
2 Replies
mail.local(1M)                                            System Administration Commands                                            mail.local(1M)

NAME
mail.local - store mail in a mailbox SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mail.local [-f sender] [-d] recipient DESCRIPTION
mail.local reads the standard input up to an end-of-file and appends it to each user's mail file (mailbox). This program is intended to be used by sendmail(1M) as a mail delivery agent for local mail. It is not a user interface agent. Messages are appended to the user's mail file in the /var/mail directory. The user must be a valid user name. Each delivered mail message in the mailbox is preceded by a "Unix From line" with the following format: From sender_address time_stamp The sender_address is extracted from the SMTP envelope address (the envelope address is specified with the -f option). A trailing blank line is also added to the end of each message. The mail files are locked with a .lock file while mail is appended. The mail files are created with mode 660, owner is set to recipient, and group is set to mail. If the ``biff'' service is returned by get- servbyname(3SOCKET), the biff server is notified of delivered mail. This program also computes the Content-Length: header which will be used by the mailbox reader to mark the message boundary. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -f sender Specifies the "envelope from address" of the message. This flag is technically optional, but should be used. -d Specifies the recipient of the message. This flag is also optional and is supported here for backward compatibility. That is, mail.local recipient is the same as mail.local -d recipient. -l Turn on LMTP mode. -r from Specify the sender's name (for backward compatibility). -7 Do not advertise 8BITMIME support in LMTP mode. -b Return a permanent error instead of a temporary error if a mailbox exceeds quota. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: recipient The recipient of the mail message. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
TZ Used to set the appropriate time zone on the timestamp. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/tmp/local.XXXXXX temporary files /tmp/lochd.XXXXXX temporary files /var/mail/user_name user's mail file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mail(1), comsat(1M), sendmail(1M), getservbyname(3SOCKET), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 11 Apr 1997 mail.local(1M)