Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remotely accessing a server
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remotely accessing a server Post 302085972 by Corona688 on Monday 21st of August 2006 12:49:34 PM
Old 08-21-2006
First question would be, what variety of UNIX are you installing on it? Most Linux distributions come with sshd, so setting up remote access is relatively simple.

Second question is, how remote? If you want people to access it across the internet, you may or may not need to arrange things like port forwarding with your ISP, depending if you're behind a firewall or not, what ports they block, etc. If you just want to give people on a LAN access, you don't need to worry about that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remotely administer/validate UNIX server via Windows machine?

Hi there--I think this is more of a Windows question, but I think many of you might be able to help me out: I have a UNIX web server and a Windows machine. I'm trying to script the following tasks so that they can be run from the Windows machine (via a batch file): 1. Shutdown web services... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sohungry73
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing Unix from Server

I am trying to access my school's unix server. On one of the tutorials they passed out there were instructions on how to dial a modem to connect or something but I think i should be able to connect to it through my school's internet connection. All of my school's computers has access to a unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: UMiami10
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to remotely connect to server using ssh

Hi, I am trying to run the below command in perl but when the perl script is executed it prompts a error message saying " ssh: <username>: Name or service not known ". Not able to understand this as this command runs perfectly on the server prompt. ` ssh <username>@pus4026dev df -k >>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: be2sp1
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remotely installing apache server using Shel scripting

Hi guys, I am trying to install apache server onto a remote machine. I file transferred the .gz file and extracted it on the remote server using shell scripts. Then I used the make and make install commands. Everything worked fine until now. I know that i had to change the httpd.conf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tadi18
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount CD from local laptop to UNIX server remotely

I need some help in emergency. I want to add some software package from Solaris 10 CD remotely to UNIX Sparc machine. I can remotely access into the machine. Question is: how do I insert Solaris 10 CD in my laptop, then mount to UNIX machine remotely and add software package. Please give me the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing windows server

Hello guys, i have a scenario that i need to run some commands on a unix machine and them connect on a windows server machine stop some services and them back to the Unix machine do another commands.. There is a way to do that with shell script? tks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paddock
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

How can i get My parent user name while i am on remotely logged on other server.

Hi please suggest .. how can i get my original user from which logged in to another server. my main current login is $whoami nitin ssh nit01@n01 i m going (redirected)to log in below path.. nit01@n01:/home/n01 -> pwd /home/n01 nit01@n01:/home/n01 -> on this server i want get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitindreamz
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing UNIX hosted web site remotely

Hi everyone- I'm relatively new to UNIX (Primarily Oracle background), wondering if anyone can help me. I did not configure Oracle Database Control (Web-Based admin interface) on the Database Server (HP-UX), however it is running and the URL is configured with an internal IP, which users have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: campbellg
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Accessing Solaris Server

Dear all, We have a Solaris Server at other location. Can we access the Server from remote ....Any software is needed for this ....pl help. Rgds Rj (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exit prompt when starting a weblogic administration server remotely?

Hi, I am trying to start Weblogic Admin server using start-up script (./startWeblogic.sh) from a remote host using a different user. The server starts fine but prompt is stuck, it does not return Background: We have multiple admin servers in different environment and the requirement is all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
4 Replies
xon(1X) 																   xon(1X)

NAME
xon - start an X program on a remote machine SYNOPSIS
xon remote-host [-access] [-debug] [-name window-name] [-nols] [-screen screen-no] [-user user-name] [command...] OPTIONS
Note that the options follow the remote host name (as they do with rlogin). Runs xhost locally to add the remote host to the host access list in the X server. This will not work unless xhost is given permission to modify the access list. Normally, xon disconnects the remote process from stdin, stdout and stderr to eliminate the daemon processes which usually connect them across the network. Specifying the -debug option leaves them connected so that error messages from the remote execution are sent back to the originating host. This specifies a different application name and window title for the default command (xterm). Normally xon passes the -ls option to the remote xterm; this option suspends that behaviour. This changes the screen number of the DISPLAY variable passed to the remote command. By default, xon simply uses rsh/remsh/rcmd to connect to the remote machine using the same user name as on the local machine. This option cause xon to specify an alternative user name. This will not work unless you have authorization to access the remote account, by placing an appropriate entry in the remote users file. DESCRIPTION
The xon program runs the specified command (default xterm -ls) on the remote machine using rsh, remsh, or rcmd. xon passes the DISPLAY, XAUTHORITY and XUSERFILESEARCHPATH environment variables to the remote command. When no command is specified, xon runs 'xterm -ls'. It additionally specifies the application name to be 'xterm-remote-host' and the win- dow title to be 'remote-host'. xon can only work when the remote host will allow you to log in without a password, by having an entry in the file permitting access. BUGS
xon can get easily confused when the remote-host, user-name or various environment variable values contain white space. xon has no way to send the appropriate X authorization information to the remote host. xon(1X)