Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Line works in solo but not in program? Post 302085895 by nortypig on Monday 21st of August 2006 06:05:02 AM
Old 08-21-2006
The default is csh and the program runs sh - c shell and bourne shell

I'm beginning to wonder if I've somehow done something to my shell - one can change shell behaviour? Its just I use vpn to access the uni UNIX account and today I saw the same code operate correctly on the same UNIX environment while not in my account.

Does this make sense to anyone?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

works from cmd-line but not in script

hi I'm trying to query a directory, check it's the right directory, return the results into a text file, put text file into an array and navigate the subdirectories and delete contents. find `pwd` -type d | grep TESTINGDIR > dirList.txt The txt file is created from the cmd-line but not in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: OFFSIHR
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Graphical program no longer works after Solaris 10 upgrade

This is a fairly complex issue. I do not have a lot of knowledge on X11. But here are the things. I am running a program called Synergy off a Solaris server. The server sits in a remote network and can be accessed via NAT. Using Putty, I will enable X11 forwarding and launch Synergy via Putty.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leion
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

s3cmd works on command line not on cron

Ubuntu 9.10 is my linux distro Based on forums they say that the problem is with environment . here is my case: login as user, then sudo -s using this command: s3cmd put file s3://bucket >>worked! now here is the simple script intended for testing: #! /bin/bash env >/tmp/cronjob.log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: qwerty20
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Works on command line but not in script

Hey guys. Hopefully this is an easy one but having reference similar problems on the web I still can't fix it. I am doing a recursive find and replace from a script. Of course I could just run the damn thing from the command line but it's bugging me now and want to get it working. grep -rl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyjstewart
4 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Command works on CMD line but not in batch?

Hi All, This command works when I type it on but when I run the batch file it doesn't..any ideas why? attrib.exe * | find /c /v "" >filecount.txt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Grueben
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

C-program works fine interactively, but not on the SGE server

Greetings, I have a C-program that is made to implement a hidden Markov model on an input file. The program is very memory intensive. I've installed it on my local server where I have an account and it compiles fine. The way they have the server set up is that you can either work... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Works on command line but not in script

OSX 10.9 I am building a script that evaluates the difference between 2 files. Here is a command that does not work transparently. Running this command in Terminal yields great results; however when I put that line in a .sh script, I get the errors shown below. Am I doing something silly? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to understand how the line in perl program works as shell commend

I have a file with two line, one is header, the other actual value: TYPCD|ETID2|ETID|LEG ID|PTYP|PTYP SUB|TRD STATUS|CXL REASON|CACT|CACTNM|ENCD|ENC D NM|TRDR|ASDT|TRDT|MTDT|STDT|LS|SECID|SECID TYP|SECNM|PAR|STCC|MARKET PRICE|DIS MARKET PRICE|MARKET PRICE CURRENCY|SRC OF SETTLEMENT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Works But Need It to Exit Upon Closing Program

Running Xubuntu 16.04 with shell version "GNU bash, version 4.3.48(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)," I have a working script that consistently renames a Chrome window: #!/bin/sh while sleep 1; do xdotool search --name chrome 2>/dev/null | while read id; do xdotool set_window --name... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakefish
21 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [-D binddn] [-P path] [-s shell] [-l] [-q] [-u] [-v] [user] DESCRIPTION
chsh is used to change the user login shell. A normal user may only change the login shell for their own account, the super user may change the login shell for any account. If a shell is not given on the command line, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to use the current value. Enter none to remove the current value. The current value is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. The only restrictions placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the super- user, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change their login shell. This version of chsh is able to change the shell of local, NIS, NIS+ and LDAP accounts , if the permissions allow it. OPTIONS
-D, --binddn binddn Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory. The user will be prompted for a password for simple authentica- tion. -P, --path path The passwd file is located below the specified directory path. chsh will use this files, not /etc/passwd. This is useful for exam- ple on NIS master servers, where you do not want to give all users in the NIS database automatic access to your NIS server and the NIS map is build from special files. -s, --shell Specify your login shell. -l, --list-shells Print the list of shells listed in /etc/shells and exit. -q, --quite Don't be verbose. -u, --usage Print a usage message and exit. --help Print a more verbose help text and exit. -v, --version Print version information and exit. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shells - list of valid login shells SEE ALSO
chfn(1), passwd(5), shells(5) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils February 2004 chsh(1)