Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: question about getopts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting question about getopts Post 302085788 by ahtat99 on Saturday 19th of August 2006 09:59:47 PM
Old 08-19-2006
question about getopts

hello there I am back with more questions (sorry it is been quite a while since I had done scripting). I had tried the search function to search for the threads that might have an answer to my question, but I could not find it, so I had decided to post it.

I had created the scripts below in ksh (assume the ksh file name is abc.ksh)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
var1=' '
var2=' '

while getopts ":aSmilie" opt
do
case $opt in
a) var1=$OPTARG;;
b) var2=$OPTARG;;
\?) echo "Invalid argument"; exit 1;;
esac
done
shift 'expr ${OPTIND} - 1'

echo "Statement"

I ran the codes
Server temp-> abc.ksh -a some_value -b other_value

It works perfect, but if I ran the code with out the command line option
Server temp-> abc.ksh some_value other_value
Statement

I thought if there are no -a or -b option is given, getopts would automatically faults out and abc.ksh would just display "Invalid Argument" and exit. Did I not doing this section of scripts correctly or I am just plain missing something?

Thank you for your time

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in getopts

hey need help with getopts again. i am using getopts to read my command line options and arguments. i can manage to do for options that have only one argument e.g srcipt_name -f 3 i am able to use getopts to do this but i am having problems two accept more than two agruments e.g.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: problems
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts question!!!

is there a better way to check if all args are set??? while getopts h:p:u: opt do case "$opt" in h) host="$OPTARG";; p) port="$OPTARG";; u) user="$OPTARG";; \?) echo >&2 \ "usage: $0 -h host -p port -u user" exit 1;; esac done ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andy2000
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts help

Hi i have part of the scripts below ,getopt for -h or ? not working for me. can anybody tell me if this sytax right or wrong. #!/usr/bin/ksh program=$(basename $0) ##################################################################################### function usageerr { RC=1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GrepMe
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts question

could anyone please tell me what this will automatically set my variable all=True.... #!/bin/sh all=FALSE while getopts a: option do case "option" in a) all=TRUE;; /?) echo "...... " exit 1;; esac done if then echo "true" else echo "false" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: k2k
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts question

I am trying to set up prompts when you don't enter the right information or dont enter the information at all, when executing a script. Below is the question that i am asking and i am not sure how to set up the if statements to make sure that the user enters the name, cpu's, memory and ip. I was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookieuxixsa
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about getopts

I am trying to use the finction getopts in script. From what I understand this can be an example for using: while getopt "p:rvt:" do case p) echo "$OPTARG" ;; r) echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

? used in getopts

Suppose I have a code below . while getopts a: opt do case $opt in a) app_name="$OPTARG";; *) echo "$opt is an invalid option"; exit 1;; ?) echo "The value of $OPTARG is an invalid option"; exit 1;; esac done Could anyone please tell me in which case my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maitree
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopts help

Hi All, I am writing a script to pass the getopts argument to the function which I have. But it as soon as I execute the script, the argument is taking it as blank. I tried using multiple way to check but its not working. Can someone please let me know what wrong in this code. function1()... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidh_arth85
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using getopts

Hi. Can somebody please show me an example of how to use getopts to assign a variable if it's been passed into the script but to set a default if no value has been passed in? And also how to handle a param with multiple values ... so a sub parse (can I use a function for this?)? Here's my code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user052009
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question about getopts optional argument [args...]

There are many places where I can see the syntax description for optargs, which, usually boils down to this: getopts OPTSTRING VARNAME where: OPTSTRING tells getopts which options to expect and where to expect arguments VARNAME tells getopts which shell-variable to use for option reporting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharkura
2 Replies
STATS_CDF_BETA(3)							 1							 STATS_CDF_BETA(3)

stats_cdf_beta - CDF function for BETA Distribution. Calculates any one parameter of the beta distribution given values for the others.

SYNOPSIS
float stats_cdf_beta (float $par1, float $par2, float $par3, int $which) DESCRIPTION
Method Cumulative distribution function (P) is calculated directly by code associated with the following reference. DiDinato, A. R. and Morris, A. H. Algorithm 708: Significant Digit Computation of the Incomplete Beta Function Ratios. ACM Trans. Math. Softw. 18 (1993), 360-373. Computation of other parameters involve a search for a value that produces the desired value of P. The search relies on the mono- tonicity of P with the other parameter. Note The beta density is proportional to t^(A-1) * (1-t)^(B-1) Arguments P -- The integral from 0 to X of the chi-square distribution. Input range: [0, 1]. Q -- 1-P. Input range: [0, 1]. P + Q = 1.0. X -- Upper limit of integration of beta density. Input range: [0,1]. Search range: [0,1] Y -- 1-X. Input range: [0,1]. Search range: [0,1] X + Y = 1.0. A -- The first parame- ter of the beta density. Input range: (0, +infinity). Search range: [1D-100,1D100] B -- The second parameter of the beta density. Input range: (0, +infinity). Search range: [1D-100,1D100] STATUS -- 0 if calculation completed correctly -I if input parameter number I is out of range 1 if answer appears to be lower than lowest search bound 2 if answer appears to be higher than greatest search bound 3 if P + Q .ne. 1 4 if X + Y .ne. 1 BOUND -- Undefined if STATUS is 0 Bound exceeded by parameter number I if STATUS is negative. Lower search bound if STATUS is 1. Upper search bound if STATUS is 2. PARAMETERS
o $par1 - o $par2 - o $par3 - o $which - Integer indicating which of the next four argument values is to be calculated from the others. Legal range: 1..4 which = 1 : Calculate P and Q from X,Y,A and B which = 2 : Calculate X and Y from P,Q,A and B which = 3 : Calculate A from P,Q,X,Y and B which = 4 : Calculate B from P,Q,X,Y and A RETURN VALUES
STATUS -- 0 if calculation completed correctly -I if input parameter number I is out of range 1 if answer appears to be lower than lowest search bound 2 if answer appears to be higher than greatest search bound 3 if P + Q .ne. 1 4 if X + Y .ne. 1 PHP Documentation Group STATS_CDF_BETA(3)