Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file subsection
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users file subsection Post 302085768 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 19th of August 2006 09:25:01 AM
Old 08-19-2006
File overlays? Some old OSes had them. They could create a different "view" of files. I bumped into finnix a while back, which will create a filesystem with overlays for a mounted cd
See http://www.finnix.org/Overlays

However I don't think it is precisely what you want. What you want sounds like at least a specialty filesystem, if not kernel changes... can you tinker with mmap, you can mmap individual pages of a file?

Try a google on unix filesystem overlays. or mmap file overlay

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get value from column subsection

Please help me with this, I want to collect unique tbc values present in the 2nd col when the 1st col says 'collect' ..Order does not matter.. 2nd col is sub sectioned by ; and tb code values are in the form tbc<val1,val2 File1 leave kbl;tbc<A,B;alt<-23 leave kbl;tbc<B,C,D... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie83
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
glutEstablishOverlay(3GLUT)					       GLUT					       glutEstablishOverlay(3GLUT)

NAME
glutEstablishOverlay - establishes an overlay (if possible) for the current window. SYNTAX
#include <GLUT/glut.h> void glutEstablishOverlay(void); DESCRIPTION
glutEstablishOverlay establishes an overlay (if possible) for the current window. The requested display mode for the overlay is determined by the initial display mode. glutLayerGet(GLUT_OVERLAY_POSSIBLE) can be called to determine if an overlay is possible for the current win- dow with the current initial display mode. Do not attempt to establish an overlay when one is not possible; GLUT will terminate the pro- gram. If glutEstablishOverlay is called when an overlay already exists, the existing overlay is first removed, and then a new overlay is estab- lished. The state of the old overlay's OpenGL context is discarded. The initial display state of an overlay is shown, however the overlay is only actually shown if the overlay's window is shown. Implicitly, the window's layer in use changes to the overlay immediately after the overlay is established. EXAMPLE
Establishing an overlay is a bit involved, but easy once you get the hang of it. Here is an example: int overlaySupport; int transparent, red, white; glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_SINGLE | GLUT_INDEX); overlaySupport = glutLayerGet(GLUT_OVERLAY_POSSIBLE); if (overlaySupport) { glutEstablishOverlay(); glutHideOverlay(); transparent = glutLayerGet(GLUT_TRANSPARENT_INDEX); glClearIndex(transparent); red = (transparent + 1) % glutGet(GLUT_WINDOW_COLORMAP_SIZE); white = (transparent + 2) % glutGet(GLUT_WINDOW_COLORMAP_SIZE); glutSetColor(red, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0); /* Red. */ glutSetColor(white, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0); /* White. */ glutOverlayDisplayFunc(redrawOverlay); glutReshapeFunc(reshape); } else { printf("Sorry, no nifty overlay (try an SGI workstation)!0); } If you setup an overlay and you install a reshape callback, you need to update the viewports and possibly projection matrices of both the normal plane and the overlay. For example, your reshape callback might look like this: void reshape(int w, int h) { if (overlaySupport) { glutUseLayer(GLUT_OVERLAY); /* Setup overlay to have X style coordinate system. */ glViewport(0, 0, w, h); glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); glLoadIdentity(); gluOrtho2D(0, w, 0, h); glScalef(1, -1, 1); glTranslatef(0, -h, 0); glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); glutUseLayer(GLUT_NORMAL); } glViewport(0, 0, w, h); } See the glutOverlayDisplayFunc man page for an example showing one way to write your overlay display callback. X IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
GLUT for X uses the SERVER_OVERLAY_VISUALS convention is used to determine if overlay visuals are available. While the convention allows for opaque overlays (no transparency) and overlays with the transparency specified as a bitmask, GLUT overlay management only provides access to transparent pixel overlays. Until RGBA overlays are better understood, GLUT only supports color index overlays. SEE ALSO
glutUseLayer, glutRemoveLayer, glutCreateWindow, glutPostOverlayRedisplay, glutShowOverlay, glutOverlayDisplayFunc AUTHOR
Mark J. Kilgard (mjk@nvidia.com) GLUT
3.7 glutEstablishOverlay(3GLUT)