Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting very unusual question about while Post 302085214 by Terrible on Wednesday 16th of August 2006 02:21:40 AM
Old 08-16-2006
usleep doesn't appear to be a command. its for c, c++ and perl and i dont know that.

and i tried jims method too but it doesn't seem to be working my system. when u minus 1 from a value that isn't greater than 1 my system makes the result 0 instead of the .3333333 or whatever the remainder is.
Terrible

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unusual function refrences

I'm wrting a program which needs to get the following information of a sever by calling some lib fuctions or system calls, so can anybody help to tell me those function names or where I can find the description of them ? CPU usage Memory usage Load procs per min Swap usage Page I/O Net I/O... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xbjxbj
1 Replies

2. Programming

unusual function refrences

I'm wrting a program which needs to get the following information of a sever by calling some lib fuctions or system calls, so can anybody help to tell me those function names or where I can find the description of them ? CPU usage Memory usage Load procs per min Swap usage Page I/O ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: xbjxbj
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unusual Problem

what is wrong with the below script: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/bash echo "Setting JrePath..." grep -w "export JrePath" /etc/profile Export_Status=$? if echo "JrePath declared" elif echo "JrePath not declared" echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Unusual Behavior?

Our comp-operator has come across a peculiar ‘feature'. We have this directory where we save all the reports that were generated for a particular department for only one calendar year. Currently there are 45,869 files. When the operator tried to backup that drive it started to print a flie-listing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vslewis
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Awk specify Unusual Delimiter

# echo "size(JFJF" | awk -F"size(" '{print $1}' awk: fatal: Unmatched ( or \(: /size(/ the delimiter is "size(" but i'm not sure if awk is the best tool to use to specify it. i have tried: # echo "size(JFJF" | awk -F"size\(" '{print $1}' awk: warning: escape sequence `\(' treated as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unusual problem with cp command

I have made a simple script to zip a file then first copy it to a specific directory using cp command then move it to another directory. Files are getting generated at regular intervals in the dir. /one/two/three/four/. I have entry of my script in cron to run after every 2 min. #!/bin/sh... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
9 Replies

7. Solaris

Unusual system bog down

Solaris 10 10/09 s10s_u8wos_08a SPARC 16cpus 128MB, uptime 150+ days, 2 db zones (Oracle 9 & 10), 3 application zones. This is from a system that was literally crawling, 60 seconds to execute a single command. I had to reboot to clear it. Data is from runs of prstat and top, and iostat. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jim mcnamara
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unusual output of sed

i have a sed command that is looking for the workds OK, WARNING and CRITICAL and add html color to those words. e.g: echo $CONSUMABLE |$SED s/OK./\<span\ style\=\"background-color\:green\;font-weight\:bold\;\"\>OK\<\\\/span\>/g the output breaks every so often and changes my output as... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: adispi
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Script unusual behavior

Hello, I have noticed some unusual behavior while running the script. when i use below script it gives output 355.23 #!/bin/bash ONEDAY=`date +%Y%m%d --date="1 days ago"` cat /opt/occ/var/performance/counters_`date -d "1 day ago" +%Y%m%d`*|grep "Gy,Gy-Gy-CCR"|awk -F"," '{print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
5 Replies
timed(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  timed(8)

NAME
timed - The network time daemon SYNOPSIS
timed [-tME] [-n | -i network] FLAGS
Specifies the names of the networks (as defined in the /etc/networks file) to be excluded from clock synchronization. Each network name that is an argument to the -i flag is added to the list of networks that the timed daemon will ignore. If the -i flag is used, timed accesses all networks to which the host is connected except for the specified networks. If neither the -i flag nor the -n flag is used, timed tries to access all the network devices connected to the local host. Do not use the -i and -n flags together. Specifies that a machine can become the time server if the master time server becomes inoperative. See the Restrictions section for more information. Overrides the input of slaves. Use the -E flag in conjunction with the -M flag. It specifies that a master timed system will not average the times of the slaves to calculate the network time. Instead, it distributes the time of its local host as the network time. This flag allows a master timed system to distribute time to a network while the network time is controlled by an outside agent (such as the Network Time Protocol (NTP)). Specifies the names of the networks (as defined in the /etc/networks file) to be included in clock synchronization. When timed is started, it gathers information about all the network devices connected to the local host. The network argument to the -n flag is the name of the network that timed should access. If the -n flag is used, only the specified networks are accessed. If neither the -n flag nor the -i flag is used, timed tries to access all the network devices connected to the local host. Do not use the -n and -i flags together. Enables tracing of messages received in /usr/adm/timed.log. DESCRIPTION
The timed daemon is not invoked at boot time by default. You can use /usr/sbin/timedsetup to configure the timed daemon. The timed daemon synchronizes the host's clock with those of other machines on the local area network that are also running the timed dae- mon. The timed daemon slows the clocks of some machines and speeds up the clocks on other machines to create an average network time. The average network time is computed from measurements of clock differences using the Internet Control Message Protocol ICMP timestamp request message. The service provided by timed is based on a master/slave (client/server) scheme. When timed is started on a machine, it asks the master timed daemon for the network time and sets the host's clock to that time. After that, the host accepts synchronization messages periodi- cally sent by the master and calls the adjtime system call to perform the needed corrections on the host's clock. The timed daemon also communicates with the date command to set the date globally, and with timedc, the timed control program. If the machine running the master ceases to function, a machine that is running the timed daemon with the -M flag becomes the new master timed daemon. Note The timed daemon is provided for compatibility. Tru64 UNIX also provides support for the Network Time Protocol through the xntpd daemon. You should use NTP for time synchronization. If you need to run both NTP and the timed daemon, you must run the timed daemon with the -E flag. If you plan to run both the timed daemon and NTP, you should also configure NTP first. RESTRICTIONS
In configurations with two or more hosts each connected to the same two or more subnetworks, only one of the host can run the timed with the -M option. FILES
Specifies the command path Contains messages traced for the timed command Contains information about the known networks RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: date(1), timedc(8), timedsetup(8) Daemons: xntpd(8) Functions: adjtime(2), gettimeofday(2) delim off timed(8)