Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting very unusual question about while Post 302085117 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 15th of August 2006 09:41:38 AM
Old 08-15-2006
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
timed=60
while [ $timed -lt 60 ]
do
   command &
   timed=$timed-1
done
wait

This may exceed the maximum number of allowed processes - so you may want to set 60 down to something like 15 or 20

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unusual function refrences

I'm wrting a program which needs to get the following information of a sever by calling some lib fuctions or system calls, so can anybody help to tell me those function names or where I can find the description of them ? CPU usage Memory usage Load procs per min Swap usage Page I/O Net I/O... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xbjxbj
1 Replies

2. Programming

unusual function refrences

I'm wrting a program which needs to get the following information of a sever by calling some lib fuctions or system calls, so can anybody help to tell me those function names or where I can find the description of them ? CPU usage Memory usage Load procs per min Swap usage Page I/O ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: xbjxbj
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unusual Problem

what is wrong with the below script: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/bash echo "Setting JrePath..." grep -w "export JrePath" /etc/profile Export_Status=$? if echo "JrePath declared" elif echo "JrePath not declared" echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Unusual Behavior?

Our comp-operator has come across a peculiar ‘feature'. We have this directory where we save all the reports that were generated for a particular department for only one calendar year. Currently there are 45,869 files. When the operator tried to backup that drive it started to print a flie-listing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vslewis
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Awk specify Unusual Delimiter

# echo "size(JFJF" | awk -F"size(" '{print $1}' awk: fatal: Unmatched ( or \(: /size(/ the delimiter is "size(" but i'm not sure if awk is the best tool to use to specify it. i have tried: # echo "size(JFJF" | awk -F"size\(" '{print $1}' awk: warning: escape sequence `\(' treated as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unusual problem with cp command

I have made a simple script to zip a file then first copy it to a specific directory using cp command then move it to another directory. Files are getting generated at regular intervals in the dir. /one/two/three/four/. I have entry of my script in cron to run after every 2 min. #!/bin/sh... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
9 Replies

7. Solaris

Unusual system bog down

Solaris 10 10/09 s10s_u8wos_08a SPARC 16cpus 128MB, uptime 150+ days, 2 db zones (Oracle 9 & 10), 3 application zones. This is from a system that was literally crawling, 60 seconds to execute a single command. I had to reboot to clear it. Data is from runs of prstat and top, and iostat. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jim mcnamara
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unusual output of sed

i have a sed command that is looking for the workds OK, WARNING and CRITICAL and add html color to those words. e.g: echo $CONSUMABLE |$SED s/OK./\<span\ style\=\"background-color\:green\;font-weight\:bold\;\"\>OK\<\\\/span\>/g the output breaks every so often and changes my output as... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: adispi
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Script unusual behavior

Hello, I have noticed some unusual behavior while running the script. when i use below script it gives output 355.23 #!/bin/bash ONEDAY=`date +%Y%m%d --date="1 days ago"` cat /opt/occ/var/performance/counters_`date -d "1 day ago" +%Y%m%d`*|grep "Gy,Gy-Gy-CCR"|awk -F"," '{print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
5 Replies
TIMEDC(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 TIMEDC(8)

NAME
timedc - timed control program SYNOPSIS
timedc [ command [ argument ... ] ] DESCRIPTION
Timedc is used to control the operation of the timed program. It may be used to: o measure the differences between machines' clocks, o find the location where the master time server is running, o enable or disable tracing of messages received by timed, and o perform various debugging actions. Without any arguments, timedc will prompt for commands from the standard input. If arguments are supplied, timedc interprets the first argument as a command and the remaining arguments as parameters to the command. The standard input may be redirected causing timedc to read commands from a file. Commands may be abbreviated; recognized commands are: ? [ command ... ] help [ command ... ] Print a short description of each command specified in the argument list, or, if no arguments are given, a list of the recognized commands. clockdiff host ... Compute the differences between the clock of the host machine and the clocks of the machines given as arguments. trace { on | off } Enable or disable the tracing of incoming messages to timed in the file /usr/adm/timed.log. quit Exit from timedc. Other commands may be included for use in testing and debugging timed; the help command and the program source may be consulted for details. FILES
/usr/adm/timed.log tracing file for timed /usr/adm/timed.masterlog log file for master timed SEE ALSO
date(1), adjtime(2), icmp(4P), timed(8), TSP: The Time Synchronization Protocol for UNIX 4.3BSD, R. Gusella and S. Zatti DIAGNOSTICS
?Ambiguous command abbreviation matches more than one command ?Invalid command no match found ?Privileged command command can be executed by root only 4.3 Berkeley Distribution November 17, 1996 TIMEDC(8)