Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in executing a comand liying inside a variable Post 302084172 by tmarikle on Wednesday 9th of August 2006 12:57:14 PM
Old 08-09-2006
If you really want to do it this way, you need to eval the command.
Code:
var="eval ps -axu | grep root"
echo `$var`

but really, what are you trying to accomplish?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with Variable inside SSH

Hi Friends, i have small issue,... here is my problem............:) i am using two unix box A and B ..using my script i am able to connect from A to B without password(using ssh option like below). A:-> ssh user@B-2.10.32.23 but i declared one variable in A which is something... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing 2 or more files inside another file parallely

hi All, i have 3 files file1 file2 file3 these 3 files are shell (KSH) scripts. i want to place all these 3 shell scripts in another file file99 and execute these files simultaneoulsy inside the file99 these 3 files should be present and executed simultaneously when i excute file99 (nohup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dareman123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside variable inside loop headache

Hi Gurus I have a file called /tmp/CMDB which looks like this serial: 0623AN1208 hostname: server1 model: x4100 assetID: 1234 I am writing a for loop that will go through this file line by line creating a variable of itself. Using the first iteration of the loop (i.e. the first line) as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with executing command inside a cron job

Hi All, I have scheduled a script in cron which writes output to the below file. ....>> /data/Target/wrapper_invoke_ds_job_`date '+%Y%m%d'`.ksh_out 2>&1 But the date command is not getting resolved in the format specified. It just resolves to the following. wrapper_invoke_MQ_ds_job_Tue... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkm_oec
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing 'find' with variable as pattern problem

Hello everybody! Here is my problem: I try to write a script that searches for files with several extensions using the find utility. The file extensions are defined in a list so I build a string (variable) of the pattern arguments with these extensions but can't get find working. Here is a code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ro_land
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning substr to a variable inside awk

Hi All, I have a fixed-width datafile from which i need to extract value/string starting from some position to the specified length in each of the lines. awk '{print substr($0,x,y)}' datafile --- is working fine but awk 'BEGIN{a=0}{a=substr($0,x,y);print $a}' datafile ---is giving... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: loggedin.ksh
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve extented ascii character when run echo comand inside bash script

Hi everyone, I'm echo some text with extended ascii characters as below: echo -e "Pr\xE9sentation du spectacle" > output or echo -e "Présentation du spectacle" > outputIf I open the file created I see this text Présentation du spectacleThe text is shown correctly in this created file when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable as an input file to AWK comand

Hi, I would like to compare 2 files using awk, which I can do by using: awk 'NR==FNR{a;next} (NR > 32 && $2 in a) {print $0}' File1 and File2. If the name of the File1 is in another file (for example, column 4 in File 3) then how can I pass this column 4 to the awk command. Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezhil01
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using variable inside awk

HI, This is the code I am using: awk -v aaa="connect" 'BEGIN {IGNORECASE} /aaa/,/!/ {print NR}' bb This does not throw any error but it does not work. Pls help Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Executing statements inside forloop parallely

Hi All, I have made a forloop as given below. if ]; then echo -e "serv_AAA_DS.ldif file created and will be splitted into 8 smaller files for ldapadd \n" sh ./file_splitter.sh for (( w=1; w <= 8; ++w )) do nohup ldapadd -x -c -h PL0 -p 389 -D "$LDAP_USER" -w... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamesh G
8 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)