Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting 10 digit number from txt files Post 302083645 by tayyabq8 on Monday 7th of August 2006 11:01:55 AM
Old 08-07-2006
What you have attempted so far? It sounds like homework.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding a 6 digit number retaining 0s on the left

i am new to shell scripting. i want to keep on increamenting a 6 digit number. For eg. 000000 + 1 = 000001 But instead of 000001 i get only 1. How do i do this ? Pls help. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanchan_cp
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of *.txt files which have over n lines?

Can you help me please? I know that wc -l *.txt gives you the number of lines in each file. But how can i count the files that have over n lines? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dark_knight
4 Replies

3. Programming

generating 16 digit random number in C

Hi, How can we generate 16 digit random nos in C. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
10 Replies

4. Programming

Find out 2^n+1 , where n is a 3 digit number

I have to write a c program which takes a 3 digit number n and calculates the value of (2^n)+1 and then determines the number is prime or not. I have tried to first calculate the value of 2^n and then adding one to it and then apply the logic of prime number. but the ultimate problem is that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: agrawal.prachi
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list all files containing 4 digit number using grep

how can i list all files in my home directory that have a 4 digit id number, the line number where the id is located and the id itself not printing the entire line? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hobiwhenuknowme
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a number up to last significant digit after decimal point

I want to write/print a number through a shell script up to its last significant digit (LSD) after the decimal point. Say, x=10.00056000000000000 I want to print x as x=10.00056. Note that x can be any thing so I cannot know the position of the LSD always. Thanks. (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression for 6 digit number present in a line

Hello Team, i have a file test1.txt, in which i have to grep only the 6 digit number from it, Could you pls help in this. $cat test1.txt <description>R_XYZ_1.6 r370956</description> $ grep "\{6\}" test1.txt <description>R_XYZ_1.6 r370956</description> i need output as 370956. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandana hs
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare specific digit in number?

Dear All, Lets say I have a number with following format: ####.12e-## now I want to compare place holder in position 1 and 2. How can I do that? Note: My number is stored in a variable say var. example: var=9999.12e-05 Thanks & Regards, linuxUser_ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Process only 4 digit odd number starting with zero

I am trying to process only IonCode_odd #'s (always 4 digits starting with zero), but the below isn't working as expected. Is there a better way? Thank you :). IonCode_0401_xxxx_xxxx_xxxx.bam IonCode_0401_xxxx_xxxx_xxxx.bam.bai IonCode_0401_xxxx_xxxx_xxxx.fastq... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

I need to find in a file a list of number where last two digit end in a range

I all I am tryng to find a way to sort a list of number in a file by the value of last two digit. i have a list like this 313202320388 333202171199 373202164587 393202143736 323202132208 353201918107 343201887399 363201810249 333201805043 353201791691 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rattoeur
7 Replies
regex(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  regex(3)

Name
       re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler

Syntax
       char *re_comp(s)
       char *s;

re_exec(s)
       char *s;

Description
       The  subroutine	compiles  a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching.  The subroutine checks the argument string against
       the last string passed to

The subroutine returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an  error  message  is  returned.  If	is
       passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression.

The  subroutine returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled
       regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error).

The strings passed to both and may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by	nulls.	 The  regular  expressions
       recognized are described in the manual entry for given the above difference.

Diagnostics
       The subroutine returns -1 for an internal error.

The subroutine returns one of the following strings if an error occurs:

No previous regular expression
       Regular expression too long
       unmatched (
       missing ]
       too many () pairs
       unmatched )

See Also
       ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1)

regex(3)