Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shortcuts
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers shortcuts Post 302082693 by sd12 on Thursday 3rd of August 2006 02:20:18 AM
Old 08-03-2006
shortcuts

yes, but i think that just gives it an assigns it a name. It does not actually execute the command from one directory and take me to that location as specified by the actual path name

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linking Files in UNIX (shortcuts)

Hello, Can anyone tell me how I can make a file link or shortcut in UNIX 4.0, several file links where damaged during an outage examples below. Examples: file -> file libX11.so -> /usr/shlib/libX11.so.pre.O3D All of the file links that were damaged were in /shlib and point to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jays337
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

GVIM keyboard shortcuts

Hi all, I am new to linux, can anybody send any link for "GVIM" keyboard shortcuts. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balaramaiah.t
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change Firefox keyboard shortcuts

Hi board! Can anybody tell me how to configure the Keyboard shortcuts of Firefox? I know that there is an extension called keyconfig and I used it with Firefox 1.0 but I it wasn't updated since 2005 or something. I also had a closer look at about:config but didn't find anything. My Google... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: schallstrom
7 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Problem creating Desktop shortcuts through Debian dpkg installer scripts

Hi, I am creating a debian package (*.deb) for my application using the command I am using debian pre/post installer scripts to do certain tasks before/after installation/uninstallation. One such task is to create a shortcut on the user's desktop to launch my application. I am trying to do this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
0 Replies
chroot(1M)																chroot(1M)

NAME
chroot - change root directory for a command SYNOPSIS
newroot command DESCRIPTION
The command executes command relative to the newroot. The meaning of any initial slashes in path names is changed for command and any of its children to newroot. Furthermore, the initial working directory is newroot. Note that command suffixes that affect input or output for the command use the original root, not the new root. For example, the command: locates file relative to the original root, not the new one. The command variable includes both the command name and any arguments. The new root path name is always relative to the current root. Even if a is currently in effect, the newroot argument is relative to the current root of the running process. This command is restricted to users with appropriate privileges. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multibyte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
command cannot be in a shell script. Exercise extreme caution when referring to special files in the new root file system. does not search the environment variable for the location of command, so the absolute path name of command must be given. When using to establish a new environment, all absolute path name references to the file system are lost, rendering shared libraries inac- cessible. If continued access to shared libraries is needed for correct operation, the shared libraries and the dynamic loader be copied into the new root environment. SEE ALSO
chdir(2), chroot(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
chroot(1M)