Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The Cut command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers The Cut command Post 302082210 by Poison Ivy on Monday 31st of July 2006 07:32:30 PM
Old 07-31-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by shereenmotor
Try this:
Code:
wc -l * | sort -nr | head -2 | tail -1 | sed 's/[0-9]* //'

that seems to give the same answer as
Code:
wc -l * | sort -nr | head -2 | tail -1

without an extra space at the beginning :S

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CUT Command

Hi, Can anyone tell me if I can apply multiple cut on a single variable like below in a sh script: tmp=`cut -c 1-4 $val` tmp1=`cut -c 5-12 $val` tmp2=`cut -c 13-18 $val` If not, what is the other way to do this. Thanks and Best Regards Shoeb (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb_syed
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut Command help

Hi , I am new to Unix.I have a shell script whenere I wnat to find if a particular server is running and kill all the instances of it (running on different ports) script filename to start the srever is say abcd If i do ps -eaf | grep abc I get all the instances of srever running .In the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shradham
1 Replies

3. AIX

Use of Cut Command

Hi All, Can anyone tell me how to use cut command?I have tried but its not working...Please find the details below : $ cat file1 SlNo. E_ID E_Name Age Dept 1 123 A 20 Electrical 2 124 B 20 Electronics 3 125 C 24 Computer 4 126 D 23 Mechanical ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puja Sharma
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut command help

n2=user1 pts/3 2010-06-29 01 Now i want to split this string with space(' ') character. After splitting output would be: use1 pts/3 2010-06-29 01 I did: nn=${n2} | cut -d ' ' -f2 echo ${nn} It prints nothing. I want the output: pts/3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

7. AIX

Need help on cut command

HI, i have data in one variable like out=/usr/sbin/filename and i want output like only out=filename how to do (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command

Hi All, I am a beginner learning shell script, Would it be possible to use -c and -f in cut command together ? Example : /opt/oracle/work/Antony/Shell_Script> cat shortlist 2233|a.k. shukula |g.m. |sales2 |12/12/52 |6000 1006|chanchal singhvi ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
disksort(9F)						   Kernel Functions for Drivers 					      disksort(9F)

NAME
disksort - single direction elevator seek sort for buffers SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/conf.h> #include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> void disksort(struct diskhd *dp, struct buf *bp); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). PARAMETERS
dp A pointer to a diskhd structure. A diskhd structure is essentially identical to head of a buffer structure (see buf(9S)). The only defined items of interest for this structure are the av_forw and av_back structure elements which are used to maintain the front and tail pointers of the forward linked I/O request queue. bp A pointer to a buffer structure. Typically this is the I/O request that the driver receives in its strategy routine (see strat- egy(9E)). The driver is responsible for initializing the b_resid structure element to a meaningful sort key value prior to calling disksort(). DESCRIPTION
The function disksort() sorts a pointer to a buffer into a single forward linked list headed by the av_forw element of the argument *dp. It uses a one-way elevator algorithm that sorts buffers into the queue in ascending order based upon a key value held in the argument buf- fer structure element b_resid. This value can either be the driver calculated cylinder number for the I/O request described by the buffer argument, or simply the absolute logical block for the I/O request, depending on how fine grained the sort is desired to be or how applicable either quantity is to the device in question. The head of the linked list is found by use of the av_forw structure element of the argument *dp. The tail of the linked list is found by use of the av_back structure element of the argument *dp. The av_forw element of the *bp argument is used by disksort() to maintain the forward linkage. The value at the head of the list presumably indicates the currently active disk area. CONTEXT
This function can be called from user or interrupt context. SEE ALSO
strategy(9E), buf(9S) Writing Device Drivers WARNINGS
disksort() does no locking. Therefore, any locking is completely the responsibility of the caller. SunOS 5.10 30 Jul 1993 disksort(9F)