Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Master's degree proposal, Router software Post 302081975 by supasamurai on Saturday 29th of July 2006 03:15:44 PM
Old 07-29-2006
Is this like...

openwrt, by any chance?

openwrt.org

That would be the open source linux for linksys (and well, all the rest too), wireless routers. It's basically just open source replacement software for your router, but you can also solder a serial port to the machine and get a console interface. You can also do some other crazy stuff with it like attach a phone interface cable to the serial port and make the router act like a gateway through the cell phone. You can make it serve files and stuff like that too. Maybe put a card reader on it? Or are you just basically going to do the exact same thing (as openwrt), but on a whole computer? Would you be rewriting all the software that does this already or maybe looking into the hardware aspect like attaching lots and lots of nics in order to get multiple ports? Maybe you want to just show how to implement the pre-existing software? "What's your focus," I guess, is what I'm trying to ask.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Software Router for Unix

Dear Users: I'm trying to find a software based Unix Router. I only want to bridge two subnets, and I'm not trying to share an internet connection. Ultimately, I'm looking for the sourcecode so that I can compile it for Mac OS X, which is the machine that the we want the router to run on. I'd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emulator
4 Replies

2. SCO

Software router on SCO Unixware 2.X

Hi, I am trying to setup an old SCO Unix 2.x box to act as a router. I have got 2 network cards in the box. As far as I know, I need to setup "ip forwarding" and "routes". Can anyone tell me how to setup "ip forwarding" on SCO Unixware 2.X? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenir
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote Unix printing to my WinXP works with no router. How can I make it work through my router?

I set up remote printing on a clients Unix server to my Windows XP USB printer. My USB printer is connected directly to my PC (no print server and no network input on printer). With my Win XP PC connected to my cable modem (without the router), i can do lp -dhp842c /etc/hosts and it prints. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmhohne
7 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How can I replicate master master and master master MySQL databse replication and HA?

I have an application desigend in PHP and MySQl running on apache web server that I is running on a Amazon EC2 server Centos. I want to implement the master-master and master slave replication and high availability disaster recovery on this application database. For this I have created two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Palak Sharma
0 Replies
CZ(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     CZ(4)

NAME
cz -- Cyclades-Z series multi-port serial adapter device driver SYNOPSIS
cz* at pci? dev ? function ? DESCRIPTION
The cz device driver supports the Cyclades-Z series of multi-port serial adapters. The Cyclades-Z is an intelligent serial controller com- prising: o PLX9060ES PCI bus interface o Xilinx XC5204 FPGA o IDT R3052 MIPS CPU The MIPS CPU runs firmware provided by the device driver. Communication with the MIPS is performed by modifying data structures located in board local RAM or host RAM. The Cyclades-Z comes in three basic flavors: o Cyclades-8Zo rev. 1 -- This is an older 8-port board with no FPGA. The serial ports are provided by an octopus cable. o Cyclades-8Zo rev. 2 -- This is the newer 8-port board. The serial ports are provided by an octopus cable. o Cyclades-Ze -- This is the expandable version of the Cyclades-Z. It uses an HD-50 SCSI cable to connect the board to a 1U rack mountable serial expansion box. Each box has 16 RJ45 serial ports, and up to 4 boxes may be chained together, for a total of 64 ports. Boxes 3 and 4 require their own external power supply, otherwise the firmware will refuse to start (as it cannot communi- cate with the UARTs in those boxes). The Cyclades-Z has several features to improve performance under high serial I/O load: o The board may operate in interrupt-driven mode or polled mode to reduce interrupt load. o Each channel has a large input and output buffer. o Each channel may be programmed to generate an interrupt based on reception of a specific character, e.g. a PPP End-Of-Frame charac- ter. o The MIPS CPU on the board performs all flow-control handling. FILES
/dev/ttyCZnnnn -- dial-in (normal) TTY device /dev/dtyCZnnnn -- dial-out TTY device SEE ALSO
pci(4), termios(4), tty(4) HISTORY
The cz driver first appeared in NetBSD 1.5. AUTHORS
The cz driver was written by Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com> and Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com> of Zembu Labs, Inc. BUGS
The cz driver does not currently implement communication via host RAM. While this may improve performance by reducing the number of PCI mem- ory space read/write cycles, it is not straightforward to implement with the current bus_dma(9) API. Interrupt mode has not been tested. There is no support for reading or writing the EEPROM connected to the PLX PCI bus controller. BSD
May 17, 2000 BSD