Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh: /bin/grep: arg list too long Post 302081719 by jerome Sukumar on Thursday 27th of July 2006 08:13:34 AM
Old 07-27-2006
hi blowtorch,

Iam also getting the same problem,can u tell us the limit of ls command.
till how many file will it work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arg list too long

I do ls -l ABC*, I get arg list too long message. This will not happen if ABC* has small no of files I believe 4000 files is limit. Any way of avoiding this. I even tried like this for i in `ls -l ABC*` do echo $i done Same problem. Any solution would be great. I am on HP-UX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vingupta
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zcat --> Arg list too long

Hi all I have more than 1000 files in a folder and when ever i use a "compress" or "zcat" command it give error /bin/zcat: Arg list too long. . any solution for this :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muneebr
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

arg list too long

Does anyone have a solution for arg list too long error. I have got this from the web but I fail to make any sense out of it Thanks enc (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls -t arg list too long

echo dirname/filename* | xargs ls -t As a substitute doesn't give the results desired when I exceed the buffer size. I still want the files listed in chronological order, unfortunately xargs releases the names piecemeal...does anyone have any ideas? :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CSU_Ram
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long

I am using IBM AIX unix version 4.3.3.0. In a directory there are many files with different patterns. When I am trying to execute the command, ls -l with the file pattern, which have fewer files it gives the desired result. However when I am trying to execute the same command for file pattern,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitindrabappa
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

arg list too long

Hi, Help. I have a file that contains a list of users in a file. I want to cat the content of the file and feed it into sed to a preformated report. The error I got is "ksh: /usr/bin/sed: arg list too long" My method below. A=`cat FILE1.txt` B=`echo $A` sed "s#USERLIST#$B#" FILE2 >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zenwork
2 Replies

7. AIX

gmake[1]: execvp: /bin/sh: Arg list too long

I am having a code which will create archive after build. Ibuild code on IBM AIX 5.3. It supposed to create 2 archive after build. I am getting 1st archive successfully but when build starts for second archive after some processing it throws an following error message- ar cq... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milindb
4 Replies

8. AIX

aix:ksh: /usr/bin/rm: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long.

Hi, I am getting the below error message When i am trying to delete the files from the directory.Could you please guide me? rm *.aud ksh: /usr/bin/rm: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long. and find /oracle/admin/testP/adump/*.aud -mtime +5 -exec rm {} \; ksh: /usr/bin/find:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokiae63
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script throwing arg list too long for mv cp wc - everything

i have a ksh script which internally calls another ksh script. this inner script has simple commands like shown in the code window. In the script im trying to do a mv - it fails with arg list too long. then i try to perform cp and cat - and both are failing with similar error. :wall: How is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nyc68
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arg list too long

Hello All, I am trying to find a file name with .sh exention from a list of .dat files inside a directory. find /app/folder1/* -name '*.dat'| xargs grep '.sh' ksh: /usr/local/bin/find: arg list too long Please help me finding the command. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkhan9
3 Replies
Tcl_SetRecursionLimit(3)				      Tcl Library Procedures					  Tcl_SetRecursionLimit(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_SetRecursionLimit - set maximum allowable nesting depth in interpreter SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> int Tcl_SetRecursionLimit(interp, depth) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter whose recursion limit is to be set. Must be greater than zero. int depth (in) New limit for nested calls to Tcl_Eval for interp. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
At any given time Tcl enforces a limit on the number of recursive calls that may be active for Tcl_Eval and related procedures such as Tcl_GlobalEval. Any call to Tcl_Eval that exceeds this depth is aborted with an error. By default the recursion limit is 1000. Tcl_SetRecursionLimit may be used to change the maximum allowable nesting depth for an interpreter. The depth argument specifies a new limit for interp, and Tcl_SetRecursionLimit returns the old limit. To read out the old limit without modifying it, invoke Tcl_SetRecur- sionLimit with depth equal to 0. The Tcl_SetRecursionLimit only sets the size of the Tcl call stack: it cannot by itself prevent stack overflows on the C stack being used by the application. If your machine has a limit on the size of the C stack, you may get stack overflows before reaching the limit set by Tcl_SetRecursionLimit. If this happens, see if there is a mechanism in your system for increasing the maximum size of the C stack. KEYWORDS
nesting depth, recursion Tcl 7.0 Tcl_SetRecursionLimit(3)