Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ksh substring commands
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ksh substring commands Post 302081654 by tayyabq8 on Thursday 27th of July 2006 12:38:22 AM
Old 07-27-2006
Maybe you are at ksh88 or HP-UX, because ksh93 supports that kinda substring syntax.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh GUI commands

I have a few scripts that i would like to make into GUI's. Are there scripting commands to make GUI's if so where can i get the list of commands and what they do or if anyone has an example of it. Anything will help, thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daltonkf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commands for Substring : HElp

Hi, To remove the date and time from the below data which is in a file abc.txt 29 Jul 2009 04:36:53,956 ERROR 1 29 Jul 2009 04:36:58,335 ERROR 2 29 Jul 2009 05:37:24,746 ERROR 3 I want the output as ERROR 1 ERROR 2 ERROR 3 As, In the above data time have different... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pank10
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Better KSH commands

Are there any documents available for checking the execution time taken by ksh commands? My requirement is to fine tune a set of shell scripts having lot of "echos" and "date"s. Is there a better replacement for the below code?. echo "ABC process started on `date`" some code.. echo... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineer
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH variable containing piped commands

Hi, I am trying to execute a bunch of piped command which are stored in a variable, but only one command executed at a time, and rest of the pipes, commands and their arguments are considered as argument to the very first command. Can you please help me in this? bash-2.05$ cat test.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prashant.ladha
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stringing Multiple commands together in KSH

I am trying to to this findCDZfile=`ls -at `find /opt/apps/busobj/bobj/bobje/data/ -name CDZ*.tmp`` and it doesn't seem to like me - is there a special escape character I need to use? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpare
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: A PROBLEM awk SUBSTRING

Hi Gurus, I am working with a korn shell script to simplify some operations of creation file of spool for a Bulk-Copy. Thi is my code: In a for cycle: gzcat ${file} |awk '{ print substr($0,1,5)";"substr($0,108,122)";"substr($0,124,131)";"substr($0,139,152)";"substr($0,154,163)";"}' >>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: GERMANICO
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling commands with ksh

Hi, I am not able to run below command on linux, it however works on solaris. If anyone knows the reason and a solution for it can you please let me know ? Linux ----- $> ksh 'echo hi' ksh: echo hi: No such file or directory $> which ksh /usr/bin/ksh Solaris ------ $> ksh 'echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnaux
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh with Oracle commands

works fine. echo "Deleting CHOPOne Coreaccess from LAUA..." $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/password@servername << ! delete from usergrpdtl where username='acker'; commit; ! but not working with "if statement" even $TMPDIR/adlogin.log exists and greater than 0. if then ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substring AIX ksh

I am trying to obtain a substring in AIX, but unable to obtain result ${var:1:3} ksh: ${var:1:3}: bad substitution (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: run commands from pipe

I create commands within a pipe and finally want them to be executed instead of being displayed on the screen. What is the last stage in this pipe? I found by guessing that "ksh" is working, but is this the best to use here? It boils down to this: echo "print Hello World!"| kshWhat is the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cochise
15 Replies
tee(1)								   User Commands							    tee(1)

NAME
tee - replicate the standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/tee /usr/bin/tee [-ai] [file]... ksh93 tee [-ail] [file]... DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/tee /usr/bin/tee copies standard input to standard output, making a copy in zero or more files. tee does not buffer its output. The options determine if the specified files are overwritten or appended to. ksh93 The tee built-in in ksh93 is associated with the /bin and /usr/bin paths. It is invoked when tee is executed without a pathname prefix and the pathname search finds a /bin/tee or /usr/bin/tee executable. tee copies standard input to standard output and to zero or more files. The options determine whether the specified files are overwritten or appended to. The tee utility does not buffer output. If a write to a file fails, tee continues to write to other files although it exits with a non-zero exit status. The number of file operands that can be specified is limited by the underlying operating system. OPTIONS
/usr/bin/tee The following options are supported by /usr/bin/tee: -a Appends the output to the files rather than overwriting them. -i Ignores interrupts. ksh93 The following options are supported by the tee built-in command in ksh93: -a Appends the output to the files rather than overwriting them. --append -i Ignores SIGINT signal. --ignore-interrupts -l Sets the standard output to be line buffered. --line-buffer OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an output file. Processing of at least 13 file operands are supported. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of tee when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tee: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
/usr/bin/tee The following exit values are returned by /usr/bin/tee: 0 The standard input was successfully copied to all output files. >0 The number of files that could not be opened or whose status could not be obtained. ksh93 The following exit values are returned by tee in ksh93: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/tee +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ksh93 +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The ksh93 built-in binding to /bin and /usr/bin is Volatile. The built-in interfaces are Uncommitted. SEE ALSO
cat(1), ksh93(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 tee(1)