Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to count the record count in an EBCDIC file. Post 302081636 by oracle8 on Wednesday 26th of July 2006 06:57:44 PM
Old 07-26-2006
How to count the record count in an EBCDIC file.

How do I get the record count in an EBCDIC file on a Linux Box. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

record count

i have a file named file_names.dat where there are several files along with their path. exp: /data1/dir1/CTA_ACD_20071208.dat /data1/dir1/CTA_DFG_20071208.dat i want to write a script which will create a csv file with the name of the file and record count of that file the output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get a file name & record count of csv file

HI , I am new to shell scripting , I have a requirement that I send a file for data quality ( original.csv) & i will be getting 4 files daily into a particular directory in return with cleansed data . the files may be clean.csv, unclean.csv , ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirik
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Record count of a csv file

Hello Gurus, We have a requirement to count the valid number of records in a comma delimited file with double quotes. The catch here is..few records have a new line carriage within the double quotes,,say for ex:we have a file called accounts the record count is 4827..but the actual valid count... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykk
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replaying a record count with another record count

i use unix command to take the record count for a file1 awk 'END{print NR}' filename i already have a file2 which conatin the count like ... .. rec_cnt=100 .. .. I want to replace the record in the file2 using the record i take from file1. suggest me some simple ways of doing it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_zeeshan05
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting Sum, Count and Distinct Count of a file

Hi all this is a UNIX question. I have a large flat file with millions of records. col1|col2|col3 1|a|b 2|c|d 3|e|f 3|g|h footer**** I am supposed to calculate the sum of col1 1+2+3+3=9, count of col1 1,2,3,3=4, and distinct count of col1 1,2,3=c3 I would like it if you avoid... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: singhabhijit
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validate record count

Hi all How to verify the number of records in case of delimited file, If the file has records. And then if it is not equal to mentioned no. of records, email is triggered and file is moved to bad directory path. Example ----- input file = a.txt bad directory path : /usr/bin/bad (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji23_d
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character count per record

I have a flat file. How can i retrive the character count per record in whole file. Can anybody assist me on this Cheers (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrat
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print record count of a file using shell script

HI, I need to print the record count of a file using shell script. If the record count of a file excluding header and trailer record if greater than zero then print 'Record count of a file is xxxx records'. If the record count is zero print 'zero records' Thanks Mahendra (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmeda
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Getting distinct record count from a .dat file using UNIX command

Hi, I have a .dat file with contents like the below: Input file ============SEQ NO-1: COLUMN1========== 9835619 7152815 ============SEQ NO-2: COLUMN2 ========== 7615348 7015548 9373086 ============SEQ NO-3: COLUMN3=========== 9373086 Expected Output: (I just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MS06
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total record count of all the file present in a directory

Hi All , We need one help on the below requirement.We have multiple pipe delimited .txt file(around 100 .txt files) present on one directory.We need the total record count of all the files present in that directory without header.File format as below : ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
8 Replies
DD(1)							      General Commands Manual							     DD(1)

NAME
dd - convert and copy a file SYNOPSIS
dd [option=value] ... DESCRIPTION
Dd copies the specified input file to the specified output with possible conversions. The standard input and output are used by default. The input and output block size may be specified to take advantage of raw physical I/O. option values if= input file name; standard input is default of= output file name; standard output is default ibs=n input block size n bytes (default 512) obs=n output block size (default 512) bs=n set both input and output block size, superseding ibs and obs; also, if no conversion is specified, it is particularly effi- cient since no copy need be done cbs=n conversion buffer size skip=n skip n input records before starting copy files=n copy n input files before terminating (makes sense only where input is a magtape or similar device). seek=n seek n records from beginning of output file before copying count=n copy only n input records conv=ascii convert EBCDIC to ASCII ebcdic convert ASCII to EBCDIC ibm slightly different map of ASCII to EBCDIC block convert variable length records to fixed length unblock convert fixed length records to variable length lcase map alphabetics to lower case ucase map alphabetics to upper case swab swap every pair of bytes noerror do not stop processing on an error sync pad every input record to ibs ... , ... several comma-separated conversions Where sizes are specified, a number of bytes is expected. A number may end with k, b or w to specify multiplication by 1024, 512, or 2 respectively; a pair of numbers may be separated by x to indicate a product. Cbs is used only if ascii, unblock, ebcdic, ibm, or block conversion is specified. In the first two cases, cbs characters are placed into the conversion buffer, any specified character mapping is done, trailing blanks trimmed and new-line added before sending the line to the output. In the latter three cases, characters are read into the conversion buffer, and blanks added to make up an output record of size cbs. After completion, dd reports the number of whole and partial input and output blocks. For example, to read an EBCDIC tape blocked ten 80-byte EBCDIC card images per record into the ASCII file x: dd if=/dev/rmt0 of=x ibs=800 cbs=80 conv=ascii,lcase Note the use of raw magtape. Dd is especially suited to I/O on the raw physical devices because it allows reading and writing in arbitrary record sizes. SEE ALSO
cp(1), tr(1) DIAGNOSTICS
f+p records in(out): numbers of full and partial records read(written) BUGS
The ASCII/EBCDIC conversion tables are taken from the 256 character standard in the CACM Nov, 1968. The `ibm' conversion, while less blessed as a standard, corresponds better to certain IBM print train conventions. There is no universal solution. One must specify ``conv=noerror,sync'' when copying raw disks with bad sectors to insure dd stays synchronized. Certain combinations of arguments to conv= are permitted. However, the block or unblock option cannot be combined with ascii, ebcdic or ibm. Invalid combinations silently ignore all but the last mutually-exclusive keyword. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 DD(1)