Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Difference in Executing a Script Post 302081554 by Shivdatta on Wednesday 26th of July 2006 08:03:26 AM
Old 07-26-2006
CPU & Memory Difference in Executing a Script

Can anyone tell me the difference between the following
execution ways:

1) . ./filename

2) ./filename

Also when to use the either.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between executing a shell using sh and .

Is there any difference in executing the shell using sh and . and ./. I had a shell script and i observed that anyone is ale to execute the script eith sh even without having the execute permission.how is so? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soumyo_das
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script not executing

Hi , Kindly advice whats wrong with this script. It is not executing. ...# #!/bin/ksh find. -name "b.log" if ; then echo "1" fi ...# Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: himvat
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Executing a shell script from windows;script present in unix

I need to execute a shell script kept in unix machine from windows. User id, password area available. For eg. There's a shell script wich moves all the logs kept in my home directory to a directory named LOGS. Now i need to get this done through windows; either using a batch file, or java... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajneesh_kapoor
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the difference executing a script with . in the front versus not putting a "."

Hi All, I know this has been discussed a lot but still I need some more answers. I am running this is ksh on AIX 5.3 I believe putting a "." in front of the script will start a new shell, is that correct?? I have a script which override some PATH variables and it does not do that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables of executed script available in executing script

Hi, I have a script get_DB_var.ksh which do a data base call and get some variables as below: sqlplus -silent $user/$pass@dbname <<END select col1, col2, col3 from table_name where col4=$1; exit; END Now I want to access all these variables i.e.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of ./ in executing a script.

Hi Guys, Hope you are doing well out there. Can you please let me know why do we use "./" to run a shell script? Is it to run the script in the current shell or something else? What if I have already defined a bang in the script say #!/bin/ksh and then running the script as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: singh.chandan18
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference Between executing llike ./myscript.ksh and . ./myscript.ksh

Hi , What is the diffence between executing the script like ./myscript.ksh . ./myscript.ksh I have found 2 difference but could not find the reason 1. If i export a variable in myscript.ksh and execute it like . ./myscript.ksh the i can access the other scripts that are present in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script dosent exits after executing the script

Hi i wrote a script which dosent exists after executing any help #!/bin/bash netstat -ptlen | grep 10000 if ; then echo "Hive Thrift server is running" exit 0 else echo "Hive Thrift server is down Trying to Bring up the service" | mail -s "ALERT" team@domain.com `nohup hive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference in executing the script

Hi Team, a silly question. Let's say i have a script called xyz.ksh what is the difference in executing the script as follows? ./xyz.ksh ksh xyz.ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Oracle script from UNIX Script

Hi, I am new to UNIX and want to execute oracle script from unix script. I have written below script but i am getting below error. #!/bin/bash file="/home/usr/control/control_file1" while read line do #$line=@$line #echo $line sqlplus tiger/scott@DB @$line exit #echo "$line" done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipin kumar rai
3 Replies
RHINO(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RHINO(1)

NAME
rhino - invokes the JavaScript shell for running scripts in batch mode or interactive SYNOPSIS
rhino [options] script_filename_or_url [script_arguments] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the rhino command. rhino is a start script for the rhino JavaScript shell which provides a simple way to run scripts in batch mode or an interactive environ- ment for exploratory programming. OPTIONS
-e script_source Executes script_source as a JavaScript script. -f script_filename_or_url Reads script_filename_or_url content and execute it as a JavaScript script. -opt, -O optLevel Optimizes at level optLevel, which must be an integer between 0 and 9. -version versionNumber Specifies the language version to compile with. The string versionNumber must be one of 100, 110, 120, 130, or 140. See JavaScript Language Versions for more information on language versions. PREDEFINED PROPERTIES
Scripts executing in the shell have access to some additional properties of the top-level object. arguments The arguments object is an array containing the strings of all the arguments given at the command line when the shell was invoked. help() Executing the help function will print usage and help messages. defineClass(className) Define an extension using the Java class named with the string argument className. Uses ScriptableObject.defineClass() to define the extension. deserialize(filename) Restore from the specified file an object previously written by a call to serialize. load([filename,...]) Load JavaScript source files named by string arguments. If multiple arguments are given, each file is read in and executed in turn. loadClass(className) Load and execute the class named by the string argument className. The class must be a class that implements the Script interface, as will any script compiled by jsc. print([expr...]) Evaluate and print expressions. Evaluates each expression, converts the result to a string, and prints it. readFile(path[,characterCoding]) Read given file and convert its bytes to a string using the specified character coding or default character coding if explicit cod- ing argument is not given. readUrl(url[,characterCoding]) Open an input connection to the given string url, read all its bytes and convert them to a string using the specified character cod- ing or default character coding if explicit coding argument is not given. runCommand(commandName,[arg,...][options]) Execute the specified command with the given argument and options as a separate process and return the exit status of the process. For details, see JavaDoc for org.mozilla.javascript.tools.shell.Global#runCommand. serialize(object,filename) Serialize the given object to the specified file. spawn(functionOrScript) Run the given function or script in a different thread. sync(function) creates a synchronized function (in the sense of a Java synchronized method) from an existing function. The new function synchro- nizes on the this object of its invocation. quit() Quit shell. The shell will also quit in interactive mode if an end-of-file character is typed at the prompt. version([number]) Get or set JavaScript version number. If no argument is supplied, the current version number is returned. If an argument is sup- plied, it is expected to be one of 100, 110, 120, 130, or 140 to indicate JavaScript version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 respec- tively. SEE ALSO
The online documentation under http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/shell.html <http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/shell.html> AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Wolfgang Baer <WBaer@gmx.de>. February 12, 2005 RHINO(1)