Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users career as a unix admin and new graduate Post 302080837 by stride6 on Thursday 20th of July 2006 06:00:30 PM
Old 07-20-2006
All i see - bar one or two- are job ads for mid-senior unix adminstrators. how does someone with no experience in the field gets into it when everyone is looking for guys with 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 years of working knowledge . I would like it for some of you to share you story so that i may draw from it. if its not too much to ask.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Unix career?

I am going on 16 and im wondering if a Unix career would be suitable for me when im 18, or if it will even be possible for me to get a job working as some sort of a junior sys admin at that age. I am just starting to get into all this Unix stuff and I see the vision. So, is it really possible... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gavan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to use career in unix

Hi, I want to start my career in Unix. I would like to know what is the job profile that I have to refer to and what is the basic knowledge that is required......I am a B.sc graduate and currently working in a BPO from past 1 year....... Thanking you in advance... Ram Suresh.L (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramsuresh
5 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Admin, need a bit of career advise

I posted a request for suggestions on my career, but there was no response. Can anyone please guide me if it was posted in the right forum or thread? Hi Dear, I am in my early thirties and going through a phase of career confusion. Since I am HPUX, Tru64 administrator I need some councelling... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukherj
4 Replies

4. Programming

Unix Career path

Hi, I am having experience on Perl and C# and worked as Windows Sytem Admin and now iam planning to become a UNIX developer. I am having knowledge on basic UNIX.. can any one suggest me any good material for c/c++ UNIX programming. on what all things a UNIX Programmer needs to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrareddy1
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration?

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

i want to enjoy and rock my career as linux admin

hello i want to build my career as linux admin.I have completed my Engineering and had one month training on LINUX ADMIN course.I am doing well now in basics.Kindly provide suggetions or advice or books etc etc so that it will enhance my knowledge in linux Redhat. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dillipkmrpadhy
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Career in Unix

I need some advice regarding my career. I have been working for a major it company in a unix based support project. I have not learnt much in the 2 years except for basics in unix. I am really worried about my career thinking about what would happen next. I always wanted to be a developer but i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2say
10 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX career path for Admin

Hello, Just wanted to have a suggestion on UNIX carrier path and I couldn't found any proper forum/blog where I can put this question better than this one. I have been working on Solaris from past 13 years and some years on Linux. It was completely on Admin side and never on development or... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
12 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need advice for my career growth being solaris/linux admin

Hi All, I am having 5+ years total unix admin exp in india (5years solarisadminand 2+ years on linuxadmin).Please advice me which technology I need to learn for my career growth and salary growth. Is it good to go for EMC SAN storage or vmware for higher packages. Please advice me or I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolarisLinux123
4 Replies
PSERVER(1)							      pserver								PSERVER(1)

NAME
pserver - NetWare print server SYNOPSIS
pserver [ -S server ] [ -h ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] [ -q queue name ] [ -c command ] [ -j job type ] [ -t timeout ] [ -d ] DESCRIPTION
pserver is a program that connects to print queues on NetWare servers and feeds incoming print jobs to the Linux printing system. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the print server name at the server. -P password password is the password to use for the print server at the server. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, pserver prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if the print server does not require a password. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. -q queue name queue name is the name of the print queue you want to service. -c command When a job is received from the print queue, pserver forks off a new process, and feeds the job file to stdin. command is the printing command that is executed for each job. The default command is 'lpr'. You can insert several flags into the command, preceded by %. These are replaced with values retrieved from the queue structure for the print job. %u: This field will be replaced by the name of the user who posted this print job. %d: This field will be replaced by the job description field of this print job. -j job type Each job in a NetWare print queue has a job type. For print jobs, this corresponds to the number of the form the job should be printed on. You can tell pserver that it should only receive jobs for one specific form from the queue. The default is -1, which means that everything is received. -t timeout Pserver is not informed by NetWare servers when new jobs arrive. So a polling scheme has to be used. When there are no jobs to service, timeout tells pserver how long to wait between two requests. The default is 30 seconds. When a job is finished, pserver asks the NetWare server immediately for a new job, and does not wait timeout seconds. -d Normally, pserver daemonizes itself. -d tells it not to do so. This is useful if you want to see the diagnostic messages that are printed when a error occurs. SEE ALSO
nwclient(5), slist(1), pqlist(1), ncpmount(8), ncpumount(8) CREDITS
pserver was written by Volker Lendecke (lendecke@math.uni-goettingen.de) pserver 10/22/1996 PSERVER(1)