Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Viewing files of another unix server (in a folder) Post 302080745 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 20th of July 2006 10:09:43 AM
Old 07-20-2006
nfsd is something the guy who owns and runs Comp2 has to do, not you.
The whole NFS thing is a sysadmin job. Without NFS you will not be able to see the remote folder in the "file manager" window.

Actually based on your description, I'd say that without somebody local and knowledgeable who can help, you're going to have to learn a lot before you can implement anything really useful.

remsh is like rlogin, but it accepts just one command. It's possible you have rexec.
Sounds like you have Linux, so try info rexec.

The which command will show you what is on your system - for example suppose you want to see if remsh is available:
Code:
which remsh

If it comes back with a filename maybe like "/usr/bin/remsh" you know it's on your box.
Otherwise it will complain.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i move data files from a server to unix folder

Hi: I am very new in UNIX environment. I need big help. How I can move data files from a server to UNIX folder by script. I don't want to use ws-ftp. The script should check the file on server, if any file found, move it to UNIX folder. I will be very happy, if some one helps me out.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shah2
1 Replies

2. Programming

unix C++: get the files from a folder

Hello everybody! How can I get the list of files from a folder in C++ (unix)? thanks in advance for any help! regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadiamihu
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Copy folder and its contents from HP Unix server to RH Linux

I am trying to copy a folder and all its contents from HP Unix box to RH linux, using the following. rsync -avz -e "ssh" /users/www/webroot/docFiles/Division/Ctry ftpuser@10.4.xxx.yz:/data/webroot/development/contentfiles/webroot/docFiles/Division/Ctry/QAfiles And it throws a consistent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FanTom
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to FTP a file from the local folder to unix server

Hi All, please help me to write a shell that ftp a file which is in the local (C:\) drive to a Unix server. Where as i know the IP for the Unix server. i could do this process by using ftp command. pls help me to write as Shell script. Thanks in advance for all of your answers.:b::b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for to take files from FTP server to UNIX server and Unzipped that files

script for to take files from FTP server to UNIX server and Unzipped that files (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunilamarnadh
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need to copy the latest file from Unix server to Shared folder

Hi All, One job in unix server will generate .csv files daily. I need to copy the latest of these .csv file from the unix server to the shared drive/folder in windows through unix script. My shared folder will look something like W:\some folder(for example). Could any one of you please help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaya@123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and delete files and folders which are n days older from one unix server to another unix server

Hi All, Let me know how can i find and delete files from one unix server to another unix server which are 'N' days older. Please note that I need to delete files on remote unix server.So, probably i will need to use sftp, but question is how can i identify files and folders which are 'N'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinkl
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy folder and files from unix server to linux server

We would be migrating unix solaries to Linux redhat. Basically source is unix and target is linux. i would like to copy entire file system unix/source/* to target linux/souce/* but target linux has only folder setup so what ever files copied need to be placed in the linux server with same... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: balajikalai
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BatchScript/Unix shell Script to check folder in Windows server

Hi, It will be great help if any of them can provide or tell which scripting is possible to write for checking folder exists or not in Windows server from Unix/Windows machine. If folder doesn't exist then need to create the folder through script and copy the files. It is on very... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prakashchakra7
1 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Transfer of zipped folder from windows desktop to UNIX server

Hi all, I'm a newbie to unix. My requirement is to create an automation script which will transfer a zipped folder from my/remote desktop to an unix server. Tools lik WinSCP shouldnt be used. No manual moving. I use putty to connect to server. I couldnt find any help on this topic. Should i use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sherin22
3 Replies
netrc(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  netrc(4)

NAME
netrc: .netrc - login information for ftp, rexec, and rexec() DESCRIPTION
The file contains login and initialization information used by the autologin process, by the library routine, and by the command (see ftp(1), rexec(3N), and remsh(1)), respectively. This file is optional. It exists, if at all, in the user's home directory. If the file contains password or account information for use other than for anonymous its owner must match the effective user ID of the current process. Its read, write, and execute mode bits for group and other must all be zero, and it must be readable by its owner. Oth- erwise, the file is ignored. The file can contain the following tokens, separated by whitespace (spaces, tabs, or newlines) or commas To include a comma as part of a token, enclose that token in quotation marks (). Identify a remote machine name. The autologin process searches the file for a token that matches the remote machine specified on the command line, as an command argument, or as the parameter of Once a match is made, the subsequent tokens are processed, stopping when the end-of-file is reached or another token or a token is encountered. If the remote machine name has an alias host name, and both the official host name and the alias are present in the file, the client gives precedence to the official host name over the alias when searching the file. If an alias is given as an entry to the command, and in the search from the top of the file to the bottom, the client finds the alias host name before it finds the official host name, it will use the alias's entry. However, if it finds the official host name first, it will use the official entry even though the alias host name also exists in the file. So the high precedence given to the official host name requires placing the official host name entry last in the file for when aliases exist. Same as except that matches any name. There can be only one token, and it must be after all tokens. This is normally used for as follows: This provides automatic anonymous login to machines not specified in This can be overridden in by using the flag to disable autologin. Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the or autologin process initiates a login using the specified name. If this token matches the user name used by the command option, or, by default, the local user name, uses the token, if present. Supply a password. If this token is present, the autologin process supplies the specified string, if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the file for any user other than aborts the autologin process if the is readable by anyone other than the owner. Also note that the passwords in are not encrypted. Supply an additional account password for login. If this token is present, the autologin process supplies the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the autologin process initiates an command if it does not. Define an macro. This token is just like the command. A macro is defined with the specified name; its contents begin with the next line and continue until an empty line (consecutive newline characters) is encountered. If a macro named is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the autologin process. EXAMPLES
The following is a valid entry for the host whose account has the password WARNINGS
It is a security risk to have unencrypted passwords in a file. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
ftp(1), remsh(1), rexec(3N). netrc(4)