Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Need Help with Unix/AIX functionality Post 302080540 by keith.m on Wednesday 19th of July 2006 01:13:31 PM
Old 07-19-2006
Don't know if this is simplistic, or I'm missing something, or if you have space restrictions.....

But on the face of it, couldn't you create a tar archive, ftp it to the desired partition, and restore from it?

tar -cvf /tmp/data.tar /data_directory/*

arguments

c - create archive
v - verbose
f - create file named data.tar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date functionality

Hi, Could someone help me to get yesterday's date in MMDDYY format. echo `date '+%m%d%y'` is giving me today's date in the above format. Thanks in advance for your help.. Suresh. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svannala1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed functionality

I have a few xml files and I want to input say 5 parameters within each file. is it possible to do so with sed? <parameter>A</parameter> <parameter>B</parameter> .... .... And so on. These parameters are meant to go in just inside: <?xml... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: collern2
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restartibility Functionality....

Hello, I am trying to write a script that has a option of restarting the script from where it failed. I have to write a script called Batch.sh. This script has to run quite a few sql files as shown below: logcmd.sh -f test1.sql logcmd.sh -f test2.sql logcmd.sh -f test3.sql logcmd.sh -f... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using functionality in another ksh

i have a function defined in one ksh i want to use the same functionality in another ksh i am using . ../<ksh name> but it is not picking that functionality what i have to do for the same (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Functionality of ant build and ant deploy unix commands

I have made some code changes in the corresponding java file for date formatting purpose so that it supports upgraded sybase version from 12.6 to 12.7 and have build the code and deployed using the following UNIX commands. ant build ant deploy. "ant build" executes the build.xml which is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vmpcit
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe Functionality

Hi, I am trying to emulate the '|' functionality through pipe function call. I am passing the o/p of exec in parent as input to the exec in child. The buf is readin the o/p but the exec in child is not working. Can somebody checkout the code and point where am i going wrong or missing something.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amejoish
3 Replies

7. AIX

Get Next month in AIX from curent date in unix AIX

How could we derive teh Next month in MON-RR format from current date ie sysdate in UNI AIX sheel script.I coould get a command but i supports only inLinux susse andnotin AIX. I need for Unix AIX.Pls Help. Regards Shiv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SHIV75
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trigger functionality in Unix

Hi, I want a script , which searches the log for the term/phrase "JFSnapshotService::systemSnapshot: Starting data capture. This may take awhile depending upon system workload." and if there is some logging like this, it has to mail me that this data capture process is happening., Below is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cratercrabs
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Functionality

Hi everyone, today i need that someone help to understand this particular line of command. So you can explain to me step by step, it will be great. ---------- Post updated at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:51 AM ---------- (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newer
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip -r Functionality

Hi , I've written the following code to zip the big file $dir_temp ="/home/etc/hst zip -r $dir_temp/file_nm.zip $dir_temp/file_nm The zip file has been created . When I try to UNZIP the file with the following command unzip file_nm.zip The file got unzipped but created in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
3 Replies
SHAPE_TAR(1)						      General Commands Manual						      SHAPE_TAR(1)

NAME
shape_tar - shapeTools RMS bundle up subsystem in a tar or shar archive SYNOPSIS
shape tar[VERSIONS=<version_selection_rule>] [ARCHIVE=<filename>] shape shar[VERSIONS=<version_selection_rule>] [ARCHIVE=<filename>] DESCRIPTION
Shape tar and shape shar create a tar or a shar archive containing all source components of the current node in the system tree. All source components listed in the COMPONENTS macro in the Makefile and the release identification file (VERSIONFILE) are written to the archive. Components of subsystems are not included in the archive file. The VERSIONS macro may be set to specify a version selection rule to be active during archive file creation. Default is most_recent, selecting the most recent version of each component. See shape_stdrul(7) or the $(SHAPELIBPATH)/stdrules for other possible settings. You may also use self defined version selection rules as VERSIONS. ARCHIVE is the base name of the file where the output shall be written to. Default is $(SUBSYSTEMNAME). The output file gets the filename extension .tar (resp. .shar). When ARCHIVE=- is given, data will be written to standard output. SEE ALSO
shape_RMS(1), shape_stdrul(7) FILES
$(SUBSYSTEMNAME).tar $(SUBSYSTEMNAME).shar 9.9.119 SHAPE_TAR(1)