Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting specified line from a file using awk Post 302080078 by vgersh99 on Saturday 15th of July 2006 12:43:28 PM
Old 07-15-2006
Code:
awk '/^[a-zA-Z0-9]/ && (NR==1) {print $1}' file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Extracting matched line

Hi all, I have one more query related to AWK. I have the following csv data: ,qwertyA, field1, field2, field3, field4, field5, field6 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,100,200 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,300,400 ,qwertyB, field1, field2, field3, field4, field5, field6 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,100,200... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: not4google
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a line in a text file

If my file looks like this…. 10 20 30 and I want to take each line individually and put it in a variable so it can be read later in it's on individual test statement, how can I do that? I guess what I'm asking is how can I extract each line individually. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: terryporter51
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help: Sorting and extracting a line from a file

I was proposed with the following problem: The file 'numbers' contains a list of numbers. Write a command to place the largest one of those numbers in the file 'largest' (there should be nothing else in that file). Do not use the 'head' command in your answer. I think if i used the sort... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stava
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting line from a file

Hi, I would like to extract a certain portion of sentences from a particular sentence i.e. to extract the last section embrace by input output Please advice. Cheers (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwgi32
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a column from a file and merging with other file using awk

Hi All: I have following files: File 1: <header> text... text .. text .. text .. <\header> x y z ... File 2: <header> text... text .. text .. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn006
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting line numbers from a file and redirecting them to another file

i have applied the following command on a file named unix.txt that contains the string "linux from the text" grep -n -i -w "linux from the text" unix.txt and the result is 5:Today's Linux from the text systems are split into various branches, developed over time by AT&T as well as various... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

error while extracting a line from a file based on identifier

here is the content of input file CREATE TABLE `bla bla bla` ( `allianceSiteId` int(11) DEFAULT NULL, `trunkGroupsId` int(11) DEFAULT NULL, `lastModified` timestamp NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP ON UPDATE CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, UNIQUE KEY `allianceSiteId`... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Extracting substr and using it on the same line

Hey, I'm new to the forums. I've searched around and found some great help on how to work with sub-strings but I'm having problems extracting a substr and then using it on the line it was extracted from :wall: I have a text file full of a varying amount of tables (each with the same number of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyro214
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting line1 from a file with certain file pattern in line 7

Hello there, I am new to unix and would like to do the following, hoping someone would give some guide, thanks in advance. Lets say i have a file like this: A w x y w x 0.1 B w x y w x 0.3 C w x y w x 0.7 D w x y w x 0.9 E w x y w x 0.2 So i would like to extract line 1 data where line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seiksoon
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with extracting line in file

My file looks like this and i need to only extract those with PDT_AP21_B and output it to another file. Can anyone help? Thanks. PDT_AP21_R,,, 11 TYS,,,,T17D1207230742TYO***T17DS,,C PDT_AP21_L,,,9631166650001 ,,,,T17D1207230903TYOTYST17DS ,,C... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyssa
3 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)