Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assigning a value to variable Post 302080069 by tayyabq8 on Saturday 15th of July 2006 11:29:21 AM
Old 07-15-2006
In ksh:
Code:
var=`awk '{print $1}' yourfile`

{print $1} will print first column not the first record.

Regards,
Tayyab

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Value of variable

Hi In my shell script, I'm trying to find the line count of a file and assign it to a variable. LINE_COUNT=$(wc -l $FILE_NAME) But when i display LINE_COUNT, i'm getting the linecount concatenated with the file name. I want only the number. How can i get the line count alone ? Someone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janemary.a
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning a variable

hi all, in ksh, how do i assign the output of a find command to a variable, e.g am trying something like this : totalNoFiles=$(print find ./ -name "SystemOut*.log"); but when i echo $totalNoFiles it displays find ./ -name "SystemOut*.log" instead of the total number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value to a variable

can we make a global variable and store character values and add other values to that variable ?? for example a="hello, John" and can we add value ". How are you? so a can have "hello, John. How are you?" can someone help me?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonosungho
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any difference between: set variable=39 and variable=39 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing a character from a variable and assigning it to another variable?

Hi folks. I have this variable called FirstIN that contains something like this: 001,002,003,004... I am trying to assign the content of this variable into ModifiedIN but with the following format : 001 002 003 004...(changing the commas for spaces) I thought about using sed but i am not... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning value to variable have value fo other variable

my script is some thing like this i11="{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,}" echo "enter value" read value ..............suppose i11 x="$value" echo "$($value)" .............the echo should be {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,} but its showing "i11" only. plz help me out to get desired... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning file to a variable

Hi, I have a list of files in a directory. Each file has a .txt and a .log extension i.e. file.txt & file.log, file1.txt & file1.log etc. The file with the .log extension may not always exist alongside the file with the .txt extension. I need to copy the .txt file if there is a corresponding... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: brunlea
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a value to a variable

Hi I have a script that accepts an input date in YYYY-MM-DD format. After that, I used sed to delete the hyphen (-) which gives me an output YYYY MM DD. My question is, how can I assign those three numbers to a three different variable. Example: 2013-11-23 will become 2013 11 23... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to get the value to a variable. set -x cd $HOME echo "Enter the server name" read a echo $a i=4 j=1 k = ps -ef | awk '/server1/{ print $4 }' | tail -$i | head -$j` echo $k When I do the same in command line it works, however the same does not work when I provide that in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a variable

I have a date column as 06302015 but I need to have variable which extracts 063015. Am trying something like below but it is not assigning Please let me know if am missing something. Thanks in advance. ################################ #!/usr/bin/ksh DT=06302015 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: weknowd
7 Replies
print(1)							   User Commands							  print(1)

NAME
print - shell built-in function to output characters to the screen or window SYNOPSIS
ksh print [-Rnprsu [n]] [arg]... ksh93 print [-Renprs] [-f format] [-u fd] [string...] DESCRIPTION
ksh The shell output mechanism. When no options are specified, or when an option followed by ' a - is specified, or when just - is specified, the arguments are printed on standard output as described by echo(1). ksh93 By default, print writes each string operand to standard output and appends a NEWLINE character. Unless, the -r, -R, or -f option is speciifed, each character in each string operand is processed specially as follows: a Alert character.  Backspace character. c Terminate output without appending NEWLINE. The remaining string operands are ignored. E Escape character (ASCII octal 033). f FORM FEED character. NEWLINE character. Tab character. v Vertical tab character. \ Backslash character. x The 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2-, or 3-digit octal number x. OPTIONS
ksh The following options are supported by ksh: -n Suppresses new-line from being added to the output. -r-R Raw mode. Ignore the escape conventions of echo. The -R option prints all subsequent arguments and options other than -n. -p Cause the arguments to be written onto the pipe of the process spawned with |& instead of standard output. -s Cause the arguments to be written onto the history file instead of standard output. -u [ n ] Specify a one digit file descriptor unit number n on which the output is placed. The default is 1. ksh93 The following options are supported by ksh93: -e Unless -f is specified, process sequences in each string operand as described above. This is the default behavior. If both -e and -r are specified, the last one specified is the one that is used. -f format Write the string arguments using the format string format and do not append a NEWLINE. See printf(1) for details on how to specify format. When the -f option is specified and there are more string operands than format specifiers, the format string is reprocessed from the beginning. If there are fewer string operands than format specifiers, then outputting ends at the first unneeded for- mat specifier. -n Do not append a NEWLINE character to the output. -p Write to the current co-process instead of standard output. -r Do not process sequences in each string operand as described above. -R If both -e and -r are specified, the last one specified is the one that is used. -s Write the output as an entry in the shell history file instead of standard output. -u fd Write to file descriptor number fd instead of standard output. The default value is 1. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 Output file is not open for writing. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1), ksh(1), ksh93(1), printf(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 27 Mar 2008 print(1)