Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Report file extraction based on Date range Post 302079864 by ganapati on Thursday 13th of July 2006 09:54:15 AM
Old 07-13-2006
Java Report file extraction based on Date range

Hi all,

Iam writing a script, which will extract all the files from Start_Date to End_Date. Files are date stamped as YYYYMMDD. For ex:

Start_Date='20051001'
End_Date='20060331'

extract files such as........

ramp_20050810.rpt
ramp_20050915.rpt
ramp_20051001.rpt
ramp_20051010.rpt
ramp_20051114.rpt
ramp_20051218.rpt
ramp_20060112.rpt
ramp_20060310.rpt

ramp_20060417.rpt
ramp_20050530.rpt

I've tried with so many options, and struggled with date increments and comparisions. I dont have much experience in shell scripting but I love it.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks and Regards,
Ganapati Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

date-extraction from a file in KSH

Hi, everyone, Now I have a ".csv" file and I want to extract a string-like date value from the file, say, it is in the 2nd row of the file and it is in the fixed context like: " This is the file title, //Row 1 The lastest update happened on: 10-Mar-2006 //Row2 ....//other irrelavent rows "... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: homer_hn
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get Message from file within date range

Hi All, I am a java devloper putting my hands on shell scripts. Honestly it sounds coool and interesting Presently I got stuck with the following requirement. Get the messages from file. The messages in the file are as follows: date|message1 date|message2 . . . date is of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambharish
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

display the file with in the date range

Hi All, I want a shell script which can display the file with in the date range. For Example I have 15 files with the following format abc_01-01-2009.txt to abc_15-01-2009.txt. Now I want to have the files between 4th of jan to 12th files. How can I acheive this. Advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fareed_do
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to select multiple files from archive directory based on the date range

hi all, here is the description to my problem. input parameters: $date1 & $date2 based on the range i need to select the archived files from the archived directory and moved them in to working directory. can u please help me in writing the code to select the multiple files based on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbc17484
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date and time range extraction via Awk or analysis script?

Hello does anyone know of an awk that will extract log file entries between a specific date and time range, eg: awk '/15\/Dec\/2010:16:10:00/, /15\/Dec\/2010:16:15:00/' access_log but one that works? Or a free command line log file analysis tool/script? I'd like to be able to view... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: competitions
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a specific data in a file based on a date range

Hi, Currently I am working on a script to automate the process of converting the log file from binary into text format. To achieve this, partly I am depending on my application’s utility for this conversion and the rest I am relying on shell commands to search for directory, locate the file and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy range of lines in a file based on keywords from another file

Hi Guys, I have the following problem. I have original file (org.txt) that looks like this module v_1(.....) //arbitrary number of text lines endmodule module v_2(....) //arbitrary number of text lines endmodule module v_3(...) //arbitrary number of text lines endmodule module... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search on date range of file based on user input

Hello I would like to ask for help with a script to search a directory that contains many log files and based on a users input after being prompted, they enter a date range down to the hour which searches the files that contain that range. I dont know how to go about this. I am hoping that the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find the count of files by last created date based on the given date range

My unix version is IBM AIX Version 6.1 I tried google my requirement and found the below answer, find . -newermt “2012-06-15 08:13" ! -newermt “2012-06-15 18:20" But newer command is not working in AIX version 6.1 unix I have given my requirement below: Input: atr files: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yuvaa27
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tag value extraction from xml file based on a matching condition

Hi , I have a situation where I need to search an xml file for the presence of a tag <FollowOnFrom> and also , presence of partial part of the following tag <ContractRequest _LoadId and if these 2 exist ,then extract the value from the following tag <_LocalId> which is "CW2094139". There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul1234
2 Replies
SHAR(1net)							  Wang Institute							SHAR(1net)

NAME
shar - create file storage archive for extraction by /bin/sh SYNOPSIS
shar [-abcmsuv] [-p prefix] [-d delim] files > archive DESCRIPTION
shar prints its input files with special command lines around them to be used by the shell, /bin/sh , to extract the files later. The out- put can be filtered through the shell to recreate copies of the original files. shar allows directories to be named, and shar prints the necessary commands (mkdir & cd) to create new directories and fill them. shar will not allow existing files to be over-written; such files must be removed by the user extracting the files. OPTIONS
-a All the options. The options: -v -c -b -p <tab>X are implied. -b Extract files into basenames so that files with absolute path names are put into the current directory. This option has strange effects when directories are archived. -c Check file size on extraction by counting characters. An error message is reported to the person doing the extraction if the sizes don't match. One reason why the sizes may not match is that shar will append a newline to complete incomplete last lines; shar prints a message that mentions added newlines. Another reason why the sizes may not match is that some network mail programs remove non-whitespace control characters. shar prints a message that mentions control characters to the extractor. -d Use this as the ``end of file'' delimiter instead of the default. The only reason to change it is if you suspect a file contains the default delimiter: SHAR_EOF. -m Reset the exact protection modes of files when they are extracted (using the chmod program). By default, the extractor's default file modes are used, and executable files (e.g., shell scripts) are made executable. -p Use this as the prefix to each line of the archived files. This is to make sure that special characters at the start of lines are not eaten up by programs like mailers. If this option is used, the files will be extracted with the stream editor sed rather than cat so it is more efficient and portable to avoid setting the prefix, though perhaps less safe if you don't know what is in the files. -s Silent running. All checking and extra output is inhibited. -u Archive the input files with the uuencode format for later extraction with uudecode. This will allow you to send files with control characters in them, but will slow down the extracting. You must be sure that the receiving party has access to uudecode. -v Print verbose feedback messages about what shar is doing to be printed during extraction. Sizes of plain files are echoed to allow a simple validity check. SEE ALSO
sh(1), tar(1), cpio(1), tp(1), uuencode(1), uudecode(1) fpack(1) is a plain-file packer useful for UNIX and MSDOS AUTHOR
Gary Perlman (based on a shell version by James Gosling, with additions motivated by many people on the UNIX network: Derek Zahn, Michael Thompson, H. Morrow Long, Fred Avolio, Gran Uddeborg, Chuck Wegrzyn, nucleus!randy@TORONTO, & Bill McKeeman) LIMITATIONS
shar does not know anything about links between files. UNIX User's Manual March 4, 1986 SHAR(1net)