Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: My device files change!!!!
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat My device files change!!!! Post 302079839 by lenux78 on Thursday 13th of July 2006 08:11:25 AM
Old 07-13-2006
My device files change!!!!

Hi...

this is the situation.

I have a server with redhat Advance Server 3 and the operating system is installed in /dev/sda disk... when i include new Luns dinamically they take the following special files /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc.... ok.. until now is everything ok... but the problem begins when i reboot the system.

I don't know why the system change the order of the device files and now the Operating System change to /dev/sdc and before it was in /dev/sda !!!! and the new Luns take /dev/sda and /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc...

this is a problem because every time that i would like to include a new Lun they gonna change the device files when i reboot the system!!!!!

How can i avoid this happened????

how can i tell to Linux that maintain the original device files and DON'T CHANGE IT ???????

Thanks for all the suggestions that you can give me.

Lenux78

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

%device line change

Hello and thank you in advance for any assistance. Working with SCO 5.0.5 our SCSI tape device is no longer working. Before we replace the unit I want to verify it's not related to a change someone may have made via mkdev tape. For years the boot message would list the tape device as this:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sighbrrguy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIC and Device NO to Change

I am a beginer in unix . I would like to know what is the command in orser to change NIC and Device NO (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ilias Kappatos
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change tape device name.

I disconected external device which was configured as rmt0. When I connect it again and run cfgmgr device name has changed (internal drive which was rmt1 is now rmt0 and external drive was rmt0 and is rmt1) and I dont know how to back it out. The thing is that for all backups I use new modell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fraydey
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Device Files names and location

HI there. I am studying System administration right now and am stuck on a question that I have failed to find the answer for in my book. The question is: Do device files need to be in the /dev directory and to they need to follow a naming convention? My answer (so far) is that since the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carl1976
7 Replies

5. AIX

change the primary dump device of a vio server

Hi how to change the primary dump device in a vio server ? $ ioslevel 2.2.0.11-FP-24 SP-01 $ oem_setup_env # sysdumpdev -l primary /dev/sysdumpnull secondary /dev/hd6 copy directory /var/adm/ras forced copy flag TRUE always allow dump TRUE dump... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

6. Programming

Does PID change from device to other!!!!

we asked to create a sender and receiver for a signals. sender knows his receiver by it's(receiver) PID .... my question is if i go to other computer and run my program will the pid chages than the first pid i got from old computer? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

Auditing device files

I am trying to see what commands are typed in my terminal and serial port. For that I am using auditd daemon which helps me in auditing files. I thought of a creating audit rules on /dev/tty and /dev/ttyAMA0 for seeing whats happening on terminal and serial device respectively. auditctl... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavithra04
0 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Change Name of Bluetooth Device from Command Line in macOS

Mac Version 10.15.2 (macOS Catalina) Does anyone know how to change the name of a connected bluetooth device from the command line on macOS? I am having trouble with various bluetooth devices which I cannot get the "rename" option in the GUI to "save" properly and so I cannot rename a few... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
PARTX(8)						       System Administration							  PARTX(8)

NAME
partx - tell the Linux kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions SYNOPSIS
partx [-a|-d|-s] [-t TYPE] [-n M:N] [-] disk partx [-a|-d|-s] [-t TYPE] partition [disk] DESCRIPTION
Given a device or disk-image, partx tries to parse the partition table and list its contents. It optionally adds or removes partitions. The disk argument is optional when a partition argument is provided. To force scanning a partition as if it were a whole disk (for example to list nested subpartitions), use the argument "-". For example: partx --show - /dev/sda3 This will see sda3 as a whole-disk rather than a partition. This is not an fdisk program -- adding and removing partitions does not change the disk, it just tells the kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. OPTIONS
-a, --add Add the specified partitions, or read the disk and add all partitions. -b, --bytes Print the SIZE column in bytes rather than in human-readable format. -d, --delete Delete the specified partitions or all partitions. -g, --noheadings Do not print a header line. -l, --list List the partitions. Note that all numbers are in 512-byte sectors. This output format is DEPRECATED in favour of --show. Don't use it in newly written scripts. -o, --output list Define the output columns to use for --show and --raw output. If no output arrangement is specified, then a default set is used. Use --help to get list of all supported columns. -r, --raw Use the raw output format. -s, --show List the partitions. All numbers (except SIZE) are in 512-byte sectors. The output columns can be rearranged with the --output option. -t, --type type Specify the partition table type -- aix, bsd, dos, gpt, mac, minix, sgi, solaris_x86, sun, ultrix or unixware. -n, --nr M:N Specify the range of partitions. For backward compatibility also the format <M-N> is supported. The range may contain negative numbers, for example "--nr :-1" means the last partition, and "--nr -2:-1" means the last two partitions. Supported range specifi- cations are: <M> Specifies just one partition (e.g. --nr 3). <M:> Specifies lower limit only (e.g. --nr 2:). <:N> Specifies upper limit only (e.g. --nr :4). <M:N> or <M-N> Specifies lower and upper limits (e.g. --nr 2:4). EXAMPLES
partx --show /dev/sdb3 partx --show --nr 3 /dev/sdb partx --show /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb All three commands list partition 3 of /dev/sdb. partx --show - /dev/sdb3 Lists all subpartitions on /dev/sdb3 (the device is used as whole-disk). partx -o START -g --nr 3 /dev/sdb Prints the start sector of partition 5 on /dev/sda without header. partx -o SECTORS,SIZE /dev/sda5 /dev/sda Lists the length in sectors and human-readable size of partition 5 on /dev/sda. partx --add --nr 3:5 /dev/sdd Adds all available partitions from 3 to 5 (inclusive) on /dev/sdd. partx -d --nr :-1 /dev/sdd Removes the last partition on /dev/sdd. SEE ALSO
addpart(8), delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8) AUTHORS
Davidlohr Bueso <dave@gnu.org> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> The original version was written by Andries E. Brouwer <aeb@cwi.nl>. AVAILABILITY
The partx command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2011 PARTX(8)