Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete a character at the end of a file. Post 302079140 by rony_daniel on Friday 7th of July 2006 06:54:24 AM
Old 07-07-2006
How to delete a character at the end of a file.

I am having a file which has data like this:-

But I need to remove the last comma from this file. So the data should be like

The command I tried was

temp=`cat ${FileName}.txt`

len=`awk '{print length($0)}' ${FileName}.txt`

len=`expr $len - 1`

temp=`expr substr $temp 1 $len`

The problem here i am facing is if the data inside the file is very huge (say 1,2,3,4......9999,10000,)then it is giving error because the command (len=`awk '{print length($0)}' ${FileName}.txt`) returns two values for the variable like

len=10239

Due to this the subsequent command fails.

Any help in this regard please.

Thanks & Regards,

Rony

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting end of line $ character in file

Hi, I've got a file where in the middle of the record is a $ end of line character, visible only when I open the file in vi and do :set list. How to I get rid of the character in the middle and keep it at the end. The middle $ character always appears after SW, so that can be used to tag it.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwrynz1
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I insert character to end of file?

Hello all How can I insert character to the end of text file without opening it in vi Just simple one liner, can it be done? Tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add new line character at the end of a file

hi all, i have this question: How to add new line character at the end of a file???? i need this because i am loading a file to sybase and i have problems with the last record thanks for your help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

append a character at end of each line of a file

Hi, i want to append a character '|' at end of each line of a file abc.txt. for example if the file abc.txt conatins: a|b|c 1|2|33 w|2|11 i want result file xyz.txt a|b|c| 1|2|33| w|2|11| I know this is simple but sumhow i am not able to reach end of line. its urgent, thanks for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muaz
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

add character to the end of each line in file

hi all i have 32 lines in file. the length of each line is 82 , i want that in the end of each line , means in postion 83-84 to put two characters 0d(=\015), 0a(=\012) i want that the 0d will be in postion 83 and the 0a will be in postion 84 in each line of the file how shall i do it ? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

add character to every end-of line in file

Hi All I have a file which conatins record.the length of every records is 47. problem : in the end of record i don't have a "\015" character. i want to add this "\015" charcter in the end of every record. the file contains something like 700 records. i've tried with sed command - nothing. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove new line character at end of file.

I need to remove new line character from end of file. Suppose here are content. a|b|c|d|r a|b|c|d|r a|b|c|d|r <new line> that means file contains 4 lines but data is there in 3 lines. so I want that only 3 lines should be there in file. Please help (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun940
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add newline character at end of file?

Hi All, I have following piece of code in UNIX C Shell script and I want to add one more command which can add newline at the end of file only if there is no newline character exists. foreach file (`ls $dd_PLAYCARD_EDI_IN`) if ( -f $dd_PLAYCARD_EDI_IN/${file} ) then cat -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending newline character End of File

Hi Gurus, Need help. I'm a beginner in Unix. I have a requirement, need to add or append newline (\n) character in file. Sample Data: 1|Main|Test|~# 2|Main|Hello|~# 3|Main|Unix|~# 4|Main|File|~#Output: 1|Main|Test|~# 2|Main|Hello|~# 3|Main|Unix|~# 4|Main|File|~#\n -- append only... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gouri Solleti
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
case(3) 						     Library Functions Manual							   case(3)

NAME
case - convert ASCII uppercase bytes to lowercase SYNTAX
#include <case.h> void case_lowers(s); void case_lowerb(s,len); int case_diffs(s,t); int case_equals(s,t); int case_starts(s,t); int case_diffb(s,len,t); int case_startb(s,len,t); char *s; char *t; unsigned int len; DESCRIPTION
case_lowers converts each uppercase byte in the string s to lowercase. s must be 0-terminated. case_lowerb converts each uppercase byte in the buffer s, of length len, to lowercase. case_diffs lexicographically compares lowercase versions of the strings s and t. It returns something positive, negative, or zero when the first is larger than, smaller than, or equal to the second. s and t must be 0-terminated. case_equals means !case_diffs. case_starts returns 1 if a lowercase version of s starts with a lowercase version of t. s and t must be 0-terminated. case_diffb lexicographically compares lowercase versions of the buffers s and t, each of length len. It returns something positive, nega- tive, or zero when the first is larger than, smaller than, or equal to the second. case_startb returns 1 if a lowercase version of the buffer s, of length len, starts with a lowercase version of the string t. t must be 0-terminated. The case routines are ASCII-specific. They are suitable for programs that handle case-independent networking protocols. All comparisons are performed on unsigned bytes. SEE ALSO
byte_diff(3), byte_equal(3), str_diff(3), str_equal(3), str_start(3) case(3)