Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find file on server, searching thru many folders Post 302079073 by Snakehead on Thursday 6th of July 2006 05:35:54 PM
Old 07-06-2006
Hush,

The code you posted doesn't seem to work with what I'm doing.

I'm trying to go through the terminal on an OSX operating system to search on a server. Spotlight is too slow so I'm trying to find other methods of searching.

Also something I forgot to mention. I would only have the beginning portion of the files' name.

Thanks for your help!!

Snakehead

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching a file in a unix server

Please let me know which command and its format to use to search for a file. Windows provides a find option but i would like to know the equivalent in UNIX. for example i need to search for a file called uv.config and where exactly it is located in a unix server. TIA. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhmr7
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for SETUID and SETGID using PERL file find with lstat

About System and Perl: Sun Solaris 5.9 sparc, Perl 5.6.1 I've decided to use the perl file::find module to look for all the SETUID and SETGID files on my unix boxes. I wrote something like this: (I've shorted it a little to make it simple) #!/opt/perl/bin/perl use File::Find; find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: x96riley3
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for folders which are over 5 hours old.

I want to create a script which will delete all folders which are over 5 hours old in HP-UX 11.11. I tried to use the "find" command but it didn't have an option for searching files/folder by hours. Could some one tell me how to achieve this in HP-UX with only using the standard OS commands and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
4 Replies

4. Web Development

server folders..

Hi, I've uploaded a test.html document in the folder "www" but I always receive the same error message: "It works!" instead of see the page. Should I change the apache root directory in the config file ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find folders that do NOT contain a certain file

I'm no linux guru so any help would be greatly appreciated! I need to output all folders that do not contain a file of a certain extension. Currently I have the following find / ! -name '*.txt' -printf %h\\n This doesn't work because although it finds folders that do not contain *.txt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hodnov
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for folders/parent folders not files.

Hello again, A little while back I got help with creating a command to search all directories and sub directories for files from daystart of day x. I'm wondering if there is a command that I've overlooked that may be able to search for / write folder names to an output file which ideally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and delete files and folders which are n days older from one unix server to another unix server

Hi All, Let me know how can i find and delete files from one unix server to another unix server which are 'N' days older. Please note that I need to delete files on remote unix server.So, probably i will need to use sftp, but question is how can i identify files and folders which are 'N'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinkl
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch the different data by searching with a same variable from a file in AIX server

Hi, I am trying to fetch the different values in an xml file by searching with the same variable in AIX Server. <name>SharedResources/Shared/JNDI/Username</name> <value>admin</value> <name>SharedResources/Shared/JNDI/Username</name> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tejastrikez
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to move specific files from folders in find file

I have a directory /home/cmccabe/nfs/exportedReports that contains multiple folders in it. The find writes the name of each folder to out.txt. A new directory is then created in a new location /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API, named with the date. What I am trying to do, unsuccessfully at the moment,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
ttysrch(4)							   File Formats 							ttysrch(4)

NAME
ttysrch - directory search list for ttyname DESCRIPTION
ttysrch is an optional file that is used by the ttyname library routine. This file contains the names of directories in /dev that contain terminal and terminal-related device files. The purpose of this file is to improve the performance of ttyname by indicating which subdirec- tories in /dev contain terminal-related device files and should be searched first. These subdirectory names must appear on separate lines and must begin with /dev. Those path names that do not begin with /dev will be ignored and a warning will be sent to the console. Blank lines (lines containing only white space) and lines beginning with the comment character "#" will be ignored. For each file listed (except for the special entry /dev), ttyname will recursively search through subdirectories looking for a match. If /dev appears in the ttysrch file, the /dev directory itself will be searched but there will not be a recursive search through its subdirectories. When ttyname searches through the device files, it tries to find a file whose major/minor device number, file system identifier, and inode number match that of the file descriptor it was given as an argument. If a match is not found, it will settle for a match of just major/minor device and file system identifier, if one can be found. However, if the file descriptor is associated with a cloned device, this algorithm does not work efficiently because the inode number of the device file associated with a clonable device will never match the inode number of the file descriptor that was returned by the open of that clonable device. To help with these situations, entries can be put into the /etc/ttysrch file to improve performance when cloned devices are used as terminals on a system (for example, for remote login). However, this is only useful if the minor devices related to a cloned device are put into a subdirectory. (It is important to note that device files need not exist for cloned devices and if that is the case, ttyname will eventually fail.) An optional second field is used in the /etc/ttysrch file to indicate the matching criteria. This field is separated by white space (any combination of blanks or tabs). The letter M means major/minor device number, F means file system identifier, and I means inode number. If this field is not speci- fied for an entry, the default is MFI which means try to match on all three. For cloned devices the field should be MF, which indicates that it is not necessary to match on the inode number. Without the /etc/ttysrch file, ttyname will search the /dev directory by first looking in the directories /dev/term, /dev/pts, and /dev/xt. If a system has terminal devices installed in directories other than these, it may help performance if the ttysrch file is created and con- tains that list of directories. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample display of /etc/ttysrch command. A sample /etc/ttysrch file follows: /dev/term MFI /dev/pts MFI /dev/xt MFI /dev/slan MF This file tells ttyname that it should first search through those directories listed and that when searching through the /dev/slan direc- tory, if a file is encountered whose major/minor devices and file system identifier match that of the file descriptor argument to ttyname, this device name should be considered a match. FILES
/etc/ttysrch SEE ALSO
ttyname(3C) SunOS 5.10 23 Feb 1994 ttysrch(4)