Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Ran out of space on /dev/root partition Post 302079049 by Hitori on Thursday 6th of July 2006 02:03:29 PM
Old 07-06-2006
You can use soft links, e.g. mkdir usr on /dev/u, move content of /usr to the created directory then ls -s path_to_dev_u_usr /usr

NO GUARANTEE, just idea
This User Gave Thanks to Hitori For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space for root partition

Hello, I am trying to monitor disk space for each node on the machine. I am able to get all individual nodes but for the '/' node. For example: df -k: bash-2.05b# df -k Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/xxx 4127108 2415340 1502120 62% / /dev/yyy ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove /dev/sdb partition using fdisk - BY ACCIDENT!

Hello everyone - Please forgive me if I violate the forum's etiquette as this is my very first post. I'm posting this on both the dummies and the advance section with the hope for any responses. I stumbled on this forum while frantically looking for an answer to a dumb, ignorant thing I did... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevindoman
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove /dev/sdb partition using fdisk - BY ACCIDENT!

Hello everyone - Please forgive me if I violate the forum's etiquette as this is my very first post. I'm posting this on both the dummies and the advance section with the hope for any responses. I stumbled on this forum while frantically looking for an answer to a dumb, ignorant thing I did... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevindoman
5 Replies

4. Linux

shrinking root partition and using free space to create a block device

We are intending to protect a set of user specified files using LVM mirroring where the protected space on which the user files are stored is mirrored on an LV on a different disk. Our problem is that for a user with a custom layout has installed linux with 2 partitons for swap and / and there is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kickdgrass
0 Replies

5. Linux

How to increase root space from another partition?

Hi OS Experts I would like to increase root partition from another partition so that I can save more documents in Home and Desktop. whether it is possible without formating root partition if so please explain here is o/p of df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda9... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add nodev for /dev/shm partition in Linux using shell script?

Hi, Please guide me how to add nodev option for /dev/shm partition. I am new to scripting and looking to do via command line. Thanks Litu (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Litu1988
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

Hello, I have rebooted the RHEL VM but after rebooting the vm it not showing all the partition mounted on OS level, if i'll execute the fdisk -l command, then i'm able to see the same disk. below is the fdisk output : # fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 107.6 GB, 107639996416 bytes 255 heads, 63... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: purushottamaher
1 Replies

8. AIX

Kill multiple processes ran by root

Hi all, I have about 5-6 daemons specific to my application running in the background. I am trying to write a script to stop them. Usually, I run them as a non-root ID, which is fine. But for some reason the client insists on using root. I do have sudo. I just tried something like this ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Listing files/space used on root partition

For instance, root partition is full so I don't need to know about /ABC/XYZ when /ABC/XYZ is a separate mount point. (But /ABC isnt). Can I run a du command or similar and just look at contents effecting the space on that mount point (/)? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

CentOS 6 ran out of space, need to reclaim it

Hello everyone, I am having an issue here with CentOS release 6.6 (Final) that shows all of the space used up, but I can't tell where the space went. Seemingly I am using up 100%, according to df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: DannyBoyCentOS
27 Replies
dtc_kill_vps_disk(8)					      System Manager's Manual					      dtc_kill_vps_disk(8)

NAME
dtc_kill_vps_disk - destroy LVM disks for freeing space SYNOPSIS
dtc_kill_vps_disk VPS_NUMBER [ lvm|loopback ] DESCRIPTION
dtc_kill_vps_disk This shell script is a part of the dtc-xen package that is to be used by the dtc panel to manage a Xen VPS server. This script is used to delete a partitions that was used by a VPS. It will delete the normal partition that was used as a root disk, and the swap partition. dtc_kill_vps_disk is to be used by the dtc-xen SOAP server, but can also be used as a standalone userland tool. OPTIONS
VPS_NUMBER has to be a number between 01 and 19. Let's say the number is 16, and that dtc-xen is configured to use the volume group called lvm1, then this script will create /dev/lvm1/xen16 and /dev/lvm1/xen16swap. IMAGE_TYPE This parameter can have 2 values: either lvm or loopback. If ommited, then lvm is used. If lvm is used, then this script will create a partition using lvmcreate, otherwise it will create an image file. Both will later be used for the VPS. EXAMPLE
dtc_setup_vps_disk 04 lvm This will delete the 2 LVM partitions that were used by the VPS named xen04, the first one being the root partition, and the second one being the swap partition. VERSION
This documentation describes dtc_kill_vps_disk See http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc-xen.html for updates. SEE ALSO
dtc_reinstall_os(8), dtc_setup_vps_disk(8) dtc_kill_vps_disk(8)