Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to have bootable backup?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to have bootable backup? Post 302078916 by siegfried on Wednesday 5th of July 2006 11:19:03 AM
Old 07-05-2006
rsync creates master boot records?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpf
You wnat a backup ? rsync is fine no need for cp. exspecial not on the disklevel since this is a real problem when the disk are not totaly equal. i would use dd at least.
So if I have a new emtpy disk rsync will correctly create two boot partitions: one for windows and one for Fed Core 4? Wow! I thought I needed cp for that. I presently use it for that.

Quote:
but recreating the filesystem by hand an using rsync afterwards is easy.
Could you elaborate further?

Quote:
What exactly is is a bootable disk for you ? what do you exspect when a disk fails ?
so far i know most systems wait until manual intervention if boot fails. a filesystemcopy
may be good enought i most cases.
cp presently creates a bootable disk for me presently: I can boot windows or fed core 4. Remember I'm doing a "telinit 1" and I'm performing a vertbatim block level copy by specifying /dev/sda. This ignores any filesystems hence it copies the master boot records, all my grub stuff and my windows paritition.

Quote:
Simply prepare a cdrom/floppy/usbstick/... with a bootloder an a menu that is ready to start from the backup disk. (normal pc-bios is very crappy when it comes to such tasks).
I'm already using grub and I assume I can enhance it's boot menu. Is there any reason to move grub from my internal disks to a USB stick or floppy?

Thanks,
Siegfried

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bootable CD

Hi, I need to be able to make a back bootable CD for Solaris 7 + software on the system. As stated the CD needs to be a bootable one, I know it will more then likely have to be more then 1 CD and I don't mind. What would be a good program to do this? Also the best way to go about doing it.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merlin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bootable CD

Hey all, I'm trying to make a backup bootable CD of a solaris 7 machine. I have no idea where to start so I did alot a reading :-) Even though I've done alot of reading I still don't know what is the best way of going about it all. What I am after as a finished result is a bootable CD... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merlin
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Sun bootable tape backup

Hi guys & gals, As a newbie, here's my quest: Build a bootable tape backup for my sunos 5.8 sunfire 480v ultrasparc-III+ AiX has such feature: mksysb; by the way, why can't I change/write to /home Any SUN guru out there ? Any idea will be welcomed :-) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Bootable solaris cd backup

Hi ppl! Does anyone know of how to make a bootable solaris cd backup :confused: i have mkisofs installed and plan to burn the bootable image on pc with cdwriter on it... thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bootable CD

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had made a bootable Linux CD with additional directory inside it. I'm trying to make a bootable CD with additional rpm to install the correct video card in a seaperate directory. I'm able to make a kickstart bootable CD but am unable to read into the new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larryase
2 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Make non-bootable scsi drive, bootable

In our HP/Unix system, our master scsi drive was bootable and our mirrored drive was non-bootable. Are any of these alternatives possible: 1) Make the non-bootable scsi drive bootable? How? 2) Create a bootable scsi drive, then copy the mirrored data to the newly created scsi drive? I seek... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bfisk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

8. AIX

Bootable Encrypted Backup

Is there a utility available to make such a backup? Is this idea even possible? Thanks for the help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwh2011
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 					  System Administration Utilities					   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB to a device SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION] install_device DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. -h, --help print this message and exit -v, --version print the version information and exit --modules=MODULES pre-load specified modules MODULES --boot-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR/grub instead of the /boot/grub directory --grub-setup=FILE use FILE as grub-setup --grub-mkimage=FILE use FILE as grub-mkimage --grub-mkrelpath=FILE use FILE as grub-mkrelpath --grub-mkdevicemap=FILE use FILE as grub-mkdevicemap --grub-probe=FILE use FILE as grub-probe --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --allow-floppy Make the drive also bootable as floppy (default for fdX devices). May break on some BIOSes. --recheck probe a device map even if it already exists --force install even if problems are detected --disk-module=MODULE disk module to use INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into /boot/grub, and uses grub-setup to install grub into the boot sector. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
grub-mkconfig(8), grub-mkimage(1), grub-setup(8), grub-mkrescue(1) The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GRUB) 1.99-12ubuntu5 October 2011 GRUB-INSTALL(8)