Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Change the root directory for apache, sshd and ftpd Post 302078848 by Sergiu-IT on Wednesday 5th of July 2006 04:12:14 AM
Old 07-05-2006
Bug Change the root directory for apache, sshd and ftpd

Helo !
I want to do something and I don't know where to start... I want to make a small web hosting server (just for me and a few friends) and for the sake of learning I'd like to make an account for every user. The thing is that I want everyone to log into the server and to be put in his home directory and that directory to be the root directory for that user.
I want to do this with ftpd, sshd and apache. All services for that user must let him in his home directory and he shouldn't be able to go anywhere else (excepting his subdirectories).

For ftpd it's simple... I use ftpchroot. I know that I can recompile the ftp server with it's built-in ls command, but I don't think it's necesarely.

For sshd, and apache I guess that I should do something with chroot... but I don't know what exactly to do... I mean, the root directory will differ for every user...

So, any ideeas or starting points to "acomplish" this it will be apreciated. Of course, any other point of view is welcomed as well.

The operating system I use is FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE.

Thanks !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTPD, CHROOT, SMF and non-root user

Hello I am trying to configure WU-FTPD on Solaris 10 to do the following: Using the -r parameter to in.ftpd, I am running the FTP demon within a CHROOT jail (/export/ftp). The FTP service is also being controlled by SMF. This seems to work fine. However, one of the requirements I have is to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CowsUdders
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

issues involving sshd, display and apache.

I have a rather peculiar problem in the past 2 weeks. I have a network setup with a linux box acting as a gateway (It is exposed to the internet). Also, there are 2 additional machines that are connected to the gateway (and are not exposed to the outside world). (The gateway has a NAT setup to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ceeeyem
5 Replies

3. Solaris

running sshd server from home directory without root access

Hi, I managed to install openssh from source on my home directory on a server I don't have root access to. I had problems with privilege separation because of permissions initially so I disabled it in sshd_config. But when I run sshd from where I installed it by doing ~/local/sbin/sshd, nothing at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayeo
0 Replies

4. Solaris

sshd (openssh) on SunOS without root privileges

Hi, I've just managed to install openssh in my home directory on a server I have access to by using --prefix=$HOME/local after ./configure. Another thing I was having trouble with without root access was privilege separation, so I disabled that in my sshd_config. However, when I run... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayeo
10 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

how to check if a file ftpd to mainframe was actually ftpd

Hi All, I am ftping a file from unix to mainframe. Now the problem arises that i want to check if the file was ftpd or not. Is there any way i could do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas.rao11
4 Replies

6. Solaris

root can not change the permission of old oracle archive directory in solaris 8

I am using oracle 9i with sun solaris 8 on Sun E 250 server.earlier we are taking backup of oracle archive files on /orabackup directory.in which archive file are stored with ...arc.Z extension. now we have changed the archive backup directory.now when we are trying to delete earlier directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahanalok
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

etc/ftpd/ftpusers & philosophy of disabling root

we don't have root in our /etc/ftpd/ftpusers and we are getting some pushback from the external auditors about this - specifically as a security risk if a "sniffer" were to catch roots password at the ftp. What do most shops do - disable ftp for root? What do you do to get things to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Configuring Apache an php Directory root.

Hi , I have installed apache and configured Document root as /home DocumentRoot "/home" The files under home directory is listed on the web server, i have one text file under "/home/test/1.txt" i can view the file when i set DocumentRoot to /home. But when i change Document root to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Root access that can't change root password?

We are having a little problem on a server. We want that some users should be able to do e.g. sudo and become root, but with the restriction that the user can't change root password. That is, a guarantee that we still can login to that server and become root no matter of what the other users will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 244an
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can a root role change the root password in Solaris 10?

i do not have root on a solairs 10 server , however i do have the root role, i was wondering if I can change the root password as a a role with the passwd command? I have not tried yet. and do i have to use the # chgkey -p afterwards? i need to patch is why i am asking. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
ftpservers(4)							   File Formats 						     ftpservers(4)

NAME
ftpservers - FTP Server virtual hosting configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/ftpd/ftpservers DESCRIPTION
The ftpservers file is used to configure complete virtual hosting. In contrast to limited virtual hosting, complete virtual hosting allows separate configuration files to be specified for each virtual host. The set of configuration files for each virtual host are placed in their own directory. The ftpservers file associates the address of each virtual host with the directory its configuration files are stored in. The virtual host configuration files must be named: ftpaccess Virtual host's access file ftpusers Restricts the accounts that can use the virtual host ftpgroups Virtual hosts enhanced group access file ftphosts Allow or deny usernames access to the virtual host ftpconversions Customize conversions available from the virtual host You do not need to put every file in each virtual host directory. If you want a virtual host to use the master copy of a file, then do not include it in the virtual host directory. If the file is not included, the master copy from the /etc/ftpd directory will be used. The file names must match exactly. If you misspell any of them or name them differently, the server will not find them, and the server will use the master copy instead. The ftpaddhost utility is an administrative tool to configure virtual hosts. See ftpaddhost(1M). File Format There are two fields to each entry in the ftpservers file: address directory-containing-configuration-files For example: 10.196.145.10 /etc/ftpd/virtual-ftpd/10.196.145.10 10.196.145.200 /etc/ftpd//virtual-ftpd/10.196.145.200 some.domain INTERNAL When an FTP client connects to the FTP Server, in.ftpd(1M) tries to match the IP address to which the FTP client connected with one found in the ftpservers file. The address can be an IPv4 or IPv6 address, or a hostname. If a match is found, The FTP server uses any configuration files found in the associated directory. If a match is not found, or an invalid directory path is encountered, the default paths to the configuration files are used. The use of INTERNAL in the example above fails the check for a specific directory, and the master configuration files will be used. Either the actual IP address or a specific hostname can be used to specify the virtual host. It is better to specify the actual IP of the virtual host, as it reduces the need for a domain lookup and eliminates DNS security related naming issues, for example: 10.196.145.20 /etc/ftpd/config/faqs.org/ ftp.some.domain /etc/ftpd/config/faqs.org/ Lines that begin with a # sign are treated as comment lines and are ignored. FILES
/etc/ftpd/ftpservers ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpaddhost(1M), in.ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), ftpconversions(4), ftpgroups(4), ftphosts(4), ftpusers(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 1 May 2003 ftpservers(4)