Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix and Unicode
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Unix and Unicode Post 302078818 by cbkihong on Tuesday 4th of July 2006 09:44:17 PM
Old 07-04-2006
Quite obviously is not creating the file in Unicode. I am not familiar with Samba Unicode handling but from your quoted results it appears that it has converted the filename into ISO-8859-1 instead.

From your "od", é has the (Extended) ASCII charcode of 82 (in hex), which matches the output of "od" that you quoted. Therefore, your "od" has shown an ASCII representation. How did you generate the 'od'? Piping ls output to od? Also in UTF-8, that character should be represented by 2 bytes, not 1.

I also tried on my system (both machines Linux and samba-mountable), and I could touch the groß file and have the name properly shown on both systems. The smb.conf has no special Unicode-related configuration. Is it possible that your Windows side has problems with configuration or support?

If all else fails, you may need to visit Samba-related newsgroups or other user communities for help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting string to unicode

How can I can convert a string in a shell script that looks something like: ]] to unicode equivalent? thanks a lot, webtekie (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: webtekie
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unicode

Hi, I have some software I need to install on HP-UX 11iv1 64bit but it must not be set up in unicode mode. I know unicode/ ASCII etc. I don't know how to get unix to switch between these. Is there an environment setting for that? I use the Korn shell. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to display unicode characters / unicode string

I have a stream of characters like "\u8BBE\u5907\u7BA1" and i want to display it. I tried following things already without any luck. 1) printf("%s",L("\u8BBE\u5907\u7BA1")); 2) printf("%lc",0x8BBE); 3) setlocale followed by fwide followed by wprintf 4) also changed the local manually... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackdorso
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unicode Support in BIND?

Here at the agency I work for, a need has arisen for a subdomain that utilizes some unicode characters. It has something to do with our foreign clients getting "page could not be displayed" errors in their internationalized browsers. I am still investigating the issue, but I've been asked to find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
2 Replies

5. Programming

Concerned about C and UNICODE

Dear experts, While developping a C UNICODE application under AIX 5.3, I encountered the following problem, and after days of investigations I still could not find any solution. Please note that the application is full wchar_t based (not utf8) and that I could compile and run it without any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgilbert
4 Replies

6. Programming

unicode problem

on some distributions UTF-32 is the default and i need to change the size of wchar_t to 2 bytes. i tried to compile it with -fwide-exec-charset=UTF-16 but it didn't help. anyone have any ideas? thanks, Akos (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akimaki
3 Replies

7. Programming

Unicode programing in C

im starting to go a little serious with c, woking in a personal project that will read a xml, which might contain Unicode characters (i know it will on my system, which is set to es_AR.UTF-8) im using mxml, and the documentation says it uses utf8 internally (no worries here). so i need to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
4 Replies

8. Programming

Unicode filenames in C++?

I'm trying to figure out how to support Unicode or atleast an unsigned char in the d_name of struct dirent The problem i'm facing is that I'm checking file names for special characters and obviously the "char d_name" doesn't like it. I'm looping through the directory and getting the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: james2432
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with \u0401 codes ? unicode or something

hello there's some stranges code symbols they looks like this: \u0438 \u0247. unicode i think this code can be viewed by javascript so i need it i need to convert casual characters to this code with perl atm stucked with ord, chr, pack, etc things but they giving other digits (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tip78
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unicode help

is there any way to handle unicode such as ʃʰɐm̆ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreejithalokkan
1 Replies
thai/thwchar.h(3)						      libthai							 thai/thwchar.h(3)

NAME
thai/thwchar.h - Wide char support for Thai. SYNOPSIS
Macros #define THWCHAR_ERR (~(thwchar_t)0) Wide-character value indicating error. Typedefs typedef wchar_t thwchar_t Thai character type for storing Unicode character. Functions thwchar_t th_tis2uni (thchar_t c) Convert character code from TIS-620 to Unicode. int th_tis2uni_line (const thchar_t *s, thwchar_t *result, size_t n) Convert string from TIS-620 to Unicode. thwchar_t th_winthai2uni (thchar_t c) Convert character code from Thai Windows extended code to Unicode. thwchar_t th_macthai2uni (thchar_t c) Convert character code from Mac Thai extended code to Unicode. thchar_t th_uni2tis (thwchar_t wc) Convert character code from Unicode to TIS-620. int th_uni2tis_line (const thwchar_t *s, thchar_t *result, size_t n) Convert string from Unicode to TIS-620. thchar_t th_uni2winthai (thwchar_t wc) Convert character code from Unicode to Thai Windows extended code. thchar_t th_uni2macthai (thwchar_t wc) Convert character code from Unicode to Mac Thai extended code. Detailed Description Wide char support for Thai. Function Documentation thwchar_t th_macthai2uni (thchar_tc) Convert character code from Mac Thai extended code to Unicode. Parameters: c : Mac Thai character/glyph to convert Returns: Corresponding Unicode code thwchar_t th_tis2uni (thchar_tc) Convert character code from TIS-620 to Unicode. Parameters: c : TIS-620 character to convert Returns: Corresponding Unicode code int th_tis2uni_line (const thchar_t *s, thwchar_t *result, size_tn) Convert string from TIS-620 to Unicode. Parameters: s : source TIS-620 string (null-terminated) result : buffer for storing resulting Unicode string n : size of result buffer (as number of elements) Returns: the length of the output Unicode string thchar_t th_uni2macthai (thwchar_twc) Convert character code from Unicode to Mac Thai extended code. Parameters: wc : Unicode code to convert Returns: Corresponding Mac Thai extended code, or TH_ERR if conversion is impossible thchar_t th_uni2tis (thwchar_twc) Convert character code from Unicode to TIS-620. Parameters: wc : Unicode character to convert Returns: Corresponding TIS-620 code, or TH_ERR if conversion is impossible int th_uni2tis_line (const thwchar_t *s, thchar_t *result, size_tn) Convert string from Unicode to TIS-620. Parameters: s : source Unicode string (null-terminated) result : buffer for storing resulting TIS-620 string n : size of result buffer (as number of elements) Returns: the length of the output TIS-620 string Note that, since the conversion is lossy, some characters in the convesion result may be TH_ERR, indicating conversion error. thchar_t th_uni2winthai (thwchar_twc) Convert character code from Unicode to Thai Windows extended code. Parameters: wc : Unicode code to convert Returns: Corresponding Thai Windows extended code, or TH_ERR if conversion is impossible thwchar_t th_winthai2uni (thchar_tc) Convert character code from Thai Windows extended code to Unicode. Parameters: c : Thai Windows character/glyph to convert Returns: Corresponding Unicode code Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for libthai from the source code. Version 0.1.14 Tue Jun 17 2014 thai/thwchar.h(3)