Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Number of records in a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Number of records in a file Post 302078468 by tmarikle on Friday 30th of June 2006 03:28:02 PM
Old 06-30-2006
FYI. If you happen to have a file with out an EOL (newline) as the last line of the file, it is not included as part of the count. The awk command will include the last line regardless of terminator.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Number of records

Hi, Is it possible to find the total number of records processed by awk at begining. NR gives the value at the end. Is there any variable available to find the value at the begining? Thanks ---------- Suman (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suman_jakkula
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of records in a file of a particular directory

Hi All, I want to find the number of records in a file of a particular directory I have a file as abcd.txt in the path var/hr/payments/ I want to find number of records in abcd.txt file in a single command. I tried the following cd /var/hr/payments/wc -l abcd.txt I got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarkona
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

query display number lines or records present in file only numeric value -without filename

Hi all Thanks in advance........... Please help me for this issue............ I have a file it has 11 records . I used the command like .... >$ wc -l file 11 file I'm getting output like 11 file (no.of records along with filename) here my requirement is, I want to display only... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksrivani
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print records which do not have expected number of fields in a comma delimited file

Hi, I have a comma (,) delimited file, in which few fields are enclosed with in double quotes " ". I have to print the records in the file which donot have expected number of field with the line number. File1 ==== name,desgnation,doj,project #header#... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK print number of records, divide this number

I would like to print the number of records of 2 files, and divide the two numbers awk '{print NR}' file1 > output1 awk '{print NR}' file2 > output2 paste output1 output2 > output awl '{print $1/$2}' output > output_2 is there a faster way? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: programmerc
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding line number to *end* of records in file

Given a file like this: abc def ghi I need to get to somestandardtext abc1 morestandardtext somestandardtext def2 morestandardtext somestandardtext ghi3 morestandardtext Notice that in addition to the standard text there is the line number added in as well. What I conceived is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files with different number of records and output only the Extra records from file1

Hi Freinds , I have 2 files . File 1 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |pra|bhe|3|hyd |omu|hei|4|bnsj |uer|oeri|5|uery File 2 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |uer|oi|3|uery output : (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
9 Replies
mt(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mt(1)

NAME
mt - magnetic tape manipulating program SYNOPSIS
tapename] command [count] Obsolescent tapename] command [count] DESCRIPTION
is used to give commands to the tape drive. If tapename is not specified, the environment variable is used; if is not defined, the default drive is used. winds the tape in the requested direction (forward or backward), stopping after the specified count EOF marks or records are passed. If count is not specified, one is assumed. Each EOF mark counts as one record. When winding backwards, the tape always stops at the BOT marker, regardless of the number remaining in count. accepts the following commands: Write count EOF marks. Forward space count files. Forward space count records. Backward space count files. Backward space count records. Rewind tape. Rewind tape and go offline. Seek to end of data (DDS and QIC drives only). Write count setmarks (DDS drives only). Forward space count setmarks (DDS drives only). Backward space count setmarks (DDS drives only). Print status information about the tape drive. Reserve tape drive for sole use by the host issuing the command (stape or estape driver only). Release tape drive from sole use by the host issuing the command (stape or estape driver only). Spacing operations (back or forward space file or record) leave the tape positioned past the object being spaced to in the direction of motion. That is, backspacing a file leaves the the tape positioned before the file mark, forward spacing a file leaves the tape positioned after the file mark. This is consistent with all classical usage on tapes. WARNINGS
Only raw, no-rewind Berkeley-type devices should be specified. This type of device will not reposition the tape upon close. An example of such a device is or See mt(7) for more details. It is possible to wind the tape beyond the EOT marker and off the end of the reel. A reservation may only be cleared with a release by the host that issued the original reserve. In the event that the host that holds the reservation is no longer available, the command may be used to reclaim the device by issuing a bus device reset. See st(1M) for more details. The reserve/release functionality can only be issued to drives using the or driver. EXAMPLES
Rewind the tape associated with the device file or (if legacy DSF is disabled): FILES
Raw magnetic tape interface (stape) Raw magnetic tape interface (estape) Default tape interface. If legacy DSF is disabled, the default value is AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
dd(1), st(1M), intro(7), mt(7). mt(1)