Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running SQL Scripts from Shell script - Need insight! Post 302078436 by tmarikle on Friday 30th of June 2006 11:50:38 AM
Old 06-30-2006
That is what you are doing with here document enclosed by <<EOF1 and EOF1. The back ticks return the output of the sqlplus command and then, in your case, attempts to execute it.

If you want to capture the output of sqlplus in a variable or an array, then use the back ticks.
Code:
set -A RESULTS_ARRAY `sqlplus -s "user/pwd@service_name" <<EOF1
@xyz.sql
@pqr.sql
@abc.sql
EOF1`

for i in ${RESULTS_ARRAY[@]}
do
    echo $i
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQL scripts not running, possible timeout issue?

I am a novice Unix scripter and need a little advice/help on a script I've written that's causing some problems. We are using Solaris 9 on a Sun box and the script is invoked with the korn shell. I have a two-part question: I wrote a shell script that calls and executes 3 separate sql scripts,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: E2004
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running remote shell script containing sql statements

I have a shell script which resides on three SCO machines containing some simple sqlplus statments. I need to run these scripts remotely. Currently, I am trying to use rsh to do so: rsh hostname myscript args The problem is that the arguments to the sqlplus statements in the remote shell... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madbreaks
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling SQL scripts through Shell Script

Oracle and Scripting gurus, I need some help with this script... I am trying to add the query SELECT * FROM ALL_SYNONYMS WHERE SYNONYM_NAME = 'METADATA' in the current script.... Read the result set and look for the TABLE_NAME field. If the field is pointing to one table eg.... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling SQL LDR and SQL plus scripts in a shell script

Hi- I am trying to achieve the following in a script so I can schedule it on a cron job. I am fairly new to the unix environment... I have written a shell script that reads a flat file and loads the data into an Oracle table (Table1) via SQLLDR. This Works fine. Then, I run a nested insert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajagavini
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Sql scripts accross db2

Hi, I would be really thankful, if anyone could help me out with this,since i am very new to this shell scripting. I have 6 sql scripts that i am trying to run in unix across db2. i want the scripts to be executed as follows, script_1 should be executed first. Then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnimz
4 Replies

6. Programming

running PLSQL scripts through shell script

I am running the following ealth checks on my server there are two databases in my server . MODEL1 and MODEL2 i connect with the first database as sqlplus model1/password Then i exceute a query select x from table (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to execute many SQL scripts within a shell script

I am using HP-UX: I have written a ksh script where I need to connect to sqlplus and execute few sql scripts. Part of this code is - sqlplus user/temp1234 <<! set serverout on set feedback off set pages 1000 set colsep , set echo off spool /home/supp1/pks/output.csv... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Call parallel sql scripts from shell and return status when both sql are done

Hi Experts: I have a shell script that's kicked off by cron. Inside this shell script, I need to kick off two or more oracle sql scripts to process different groups of tables. And when both sql scripts are done, I will continue in the shell script to do other things like checking processing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: huasheng8
3 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

how to execute multiple .sql scripts from within a shell script using sqlplus

using sqlplus I want to execute a .sql script that has dbms_output statments in rhe script. I want to write the dbms_output statements from .sql file to a log file. is this possible. thanks any help would be appreciated :wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRS80
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Oracle SQL from shell script

Hi, can anyone help me with this script please. I need the oracle command to go into the unix batch file. #!/bin/sh # A menu driven Shell script which has following options # for acmtoron@> # # # Exit # As per option do the job #---- while : do clear echo " A C M LOG MONITORING... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinaaguilera
0 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)