Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tricky script question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tricky script question Post 302078396 by LivinFree on Friday 30th of June 2006 03:06:05 AM
Old 06-30-2006
Well, shy of doing the entire project for you, I'm willing to give some bits up here and there...

How do you determine the other directory names? Are they static (non-changing) or dynamic (could possibly be different for each file)?

And importantly, what shell are you using?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Tricky File Permission Question

I'm trying to answer the following question about file permissions in Unix. Consider a file with the following permissions: rwx---r-- I am not the owner of this file, but I am a member of the group of this file. My question is: do I have read access to this file? I thought... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hook
3 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Tricky one...

Here's my problem: I have a laptop running Windows XP Pro with no internal CD or Floppy drives. I want to install Linux on it. I don't care about the Windows XP Pro installation, in fact I would like to install Linux over the entirety of the HD. However I cannot boot from any external CD drive... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saabir
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky Shell script

The Problem is mentioned below (61 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
61 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tricky Quotation Question

Hi, I am at a point in my script where I defined the number of the command line parameter I would like to set a variable equal to: parameter_number=14 I would then like to set a variable equal to the correct parameter: variable=$parameter_number The issue here is that {} is required... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux: Writing a tricky script to check connectivity

So, first and foremost, I'm having issues with my internet connection. Periodically, the connection drops across the network. The fix is simple enough: restart the modem. However, this gets old when the connection dies out every hour. I can hit my surfboard on 192.168.100.1, and navigate to a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungfujoe
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky - Need help on Shell script variables

Hi, I have a requirement in which i have to read a csv file and put data in certain set of variables: File content: VP-DTL-REC-CNT, ,854840,0.00,VP-PAID-AMT, ,0,32280885.17,VP-PAT-PAID-AMT, ,0,9930244.32,VP-PAID-REV-CNT, ,484927,0.00,VP-REJ-CNT, ,369913,0.00, , ,0,0.00, , ,0,0.00, , ,0,0.00, ,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantoshkumar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky sed or awk question

Hello everyone, unfortunately I am no unix nor scripting guru, which is why I am asking for help here. I am trying to reformat a .csv file using sed or awk which has the following format: a,b,C-D-E,f,g h,i,J,k,l m,n,O-P-Q-R-S,t,u v,w,X-Y,z,a It's basically a 5-field text file which has an... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awayand
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another tricky sed or awk question

This post is in reference to https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/137977-tricky-sed-awk-question-post302428154.html#post302428154 I am trying to go the opposite direction now: I have the following file: a,b,C,f,g a,b,D,f,g a,b,E,f,g h,i,J,k,l m,n,O,t,u m,n,P,t,u m,n,Q,t,u... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: awayand
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tricky GREP question..

I have some large login files that I need to extract (user)@(server) from. Where it gets tricky is that there is usually more than one '@' sign on each line(although it does have a leading space if it's not part of the (user)@(server) string), I need only the (user)@(server) section, I need only... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mordaris
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky BASH quoting question

I have some data files that I can identify by a certain pattern in the names using find. Every one of those data files has an XML file associated with it (can be multiple data files per XML file). The XML file is always up one directory from the data file(s) in a folder calledRun##### -... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
12 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)