Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users replacing first line or lines in a file Post 302077262 by Terrible on Wednesday 21st of June 2006 01:53:15 AM
Old 06-21-2006
replacing first line or lines in a file

hey guys, how do i replace only a line within a file without messing up the rest of the contents of the file?

see, if possible can you guys give me a straight forward way to do this. i dont want a complex command. what i mean is i know i can accomplish this by using sed, well, i think i can, but i keep circling around and dont know the exact command.

what i'm trying to do is run a script remotely that checks diskspace on a server. if diskspac is above a certain percentage this script will look at the file i'm trying to edit and delete files on the disk based on the threshold, number of days, given in the file.

this may be confusing but really all i need is the one liner that will just replace a line for me if the script fails to free up enough space. thanks guys.
Terrible

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing specific lines in a file

Hi there I have a file which has the lines # Serial number for hostid EXP_SERIAL_="" These lines could be anywhere in the file as far as line numbers go, I would like replace these two lines with # Serial number for hostid $var1 EXP_SERIAL_$var1="$var2" Is there a quick and simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing multiple lines with single line

Can any one give me the idea on replacing multiple blank lines with a single blank line? Please conside it for a file having more than 100 number of characters. Regards, Siba (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Block of lines in a text file

Dear All, Regards of the Day. I have a text file with some functions: Function1 { parameter 1 parameter 2 parameter 3 } end Function2 { parameter 1 parameter 2 parameter 3 } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashisharora
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing line 'i' of file1 with line 'j' of file 2

Hi All, As mentioned in the title I have two text files and I would like to replace line number 5 of file #1 with line number 4 of file #2 e.g. file 1 wqwert 4.4464002 3 319 286 369 46.320002 56.150002 45.100002 1 1 1 0.723 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing multi lines with 1 line

I have an xml file that is stripped down to output that looks bacically like; <!-- TABLEA header --> <tablea> some fields </tablea> <!-- TABLEB header --> <!-- TABLEC header --> <tablec> some fields </tablec> I want to remove the header... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Griffs_Revenge
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing 2 lines by single line

Hi I have a file with below content : a b S I need to replace the lines which have a and b continuously by d. d S I have used the below code tr '\n' '#'<file|sed. 's/a#b/d/g's?|tr '#' '\n' where # is not occurring anywhere in the file.. Is there any other efficient way to do this? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a single line with multiple lines in a file

Hi Am confused with the usage of "sed" command I want to replace a single line with multiple lines of a file.. eg., A file has Hi, How are you? I need to replace as Am fine What are You doing? I used the script as string1="Hi, How are you?" echo "$string1 is the value"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and Replacing file lines starting with $

Here is the task that I was presented with: I am dealing with about a 10,000 line input deck file for an analysis. About 10 separate blocks of around 25 lines of code each need to be updated in the input deck. The input deck (deckToChange in the code below) comes with 2 separate files. File 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiktak292
5 Replies
PASTE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  PASTE(1)

NAME
paste -- merge corresponding or subsequent lines of files SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file ... DESCRIPTION
The paste utility concatenates the corresponding lines of the given input files, replacing all but the last file's newline characters with a single tab character, and writes the resulting lines to standard output. If end-of-file is reached on an input file while other input files still contain data, the file is treated as if it were an endless source of empty lines. The options are as follows: -d list Use one or more of the provided characters to replace the newline characters instead of the default tab. The characters in list are used circularly, i.e., when list is exhausted the first character from list is reused. This continues until a line from the last input file (in default operation) or the last line in each file (using the -s option) is displayed, at which time paste begins selecting characters from the beginning of list again. The following special characters can also be used in list: newline character tab character \ backslash character Empty string (not a null character). Any other character preceded by a backslash is equivalent to the character itself. -s Concatenate all of the lines of each separate input file in command line order. The newline character of every line except the last line in each input file is replaced with the tab character, unless otherwise specified by the -d option. If '-' is specified for one or more of the input files, the standard input is used; standard input is read one line at a time, circularly, for each instance of '-'. EXIT STATUS
The paste utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
List the files in the current directory in three columns: ls | paste - - - Combine pairs of lines from a file into single lines: paste -s -d ' ' myfile Number the lines in a file, similar to nl(1): sed = myfile | paste -s -d ' ' - - Create a colon-separated list of directories named bin, suitable for use in the PATH environment variable: find / -name bin -type d | paste -s -d : - SEE ALSO
cut(1), lam(1) STANDARDS
The paste utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A paste command appeared in Version 32V AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 25, 2004 BSD