Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help to remove file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help to remove file Post 302076842 by vino on Friday 16th of June 2006 03:09:42 AM
Old 06-16-2006
Try
Code:
ls -1Q

That wraps the file name within quotes. For the file of your interest, pick up the name and then do
Code:
rm " " (for a single whitespaced filename)

[Edit.] I think these files come out at the top of the ls -l list. Confirm it by issuing
Code:
ls -1Q | head -1

If it is so, then you could try
Code:
ls -1Q | head -1 | xargs rm

Last edited by vino; 06-16-2006 at 04:19 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch file to remove double quotes from a file

Hi I have to create a windows batch file which will read an input file and remove "double quotes" from each line of the file. For eg.If input file name is abcd.csv and contents is : "asasd,123123,213213,asd" "esfrf,dsfsdf,234324,sdfsdf" Then the batch file should remove "" from the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashtcs
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to copy a file without remove the contents of the target file?

Hello every body, Kindly support me to "copy a file without remove the contents of the target file" Thanks in advance. :) Ahmed Amer Cairo,Egypt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to remove 1st line of a file and save the file with same old name

Hi friends, I have a doubt, I am not sure whether it is possible ah nu. I am having a file(sample.txt) which contain 5 lines. I want to remove 1st line in the file and save the file with same old name (sample.txt). For removing 1st line i am using sed 1d filename But dono how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines from first file comparing second file

Hi, I have two files with below data:: file1:- 123|aaa|ppp 445|fff|yyy 999|ttt|jjj 555|hhh|hhh file2:- 445|fff|yyy 555|hhh|hhh The records present in file1, not present in file 2 should be writtent to the out put file. output:- 123|aaa|ppp 999|ttt|jjj Is there any one line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove blank lines in a file and save the file with same name?

I have a text file which has blank lines. I want them to be removed before upload it to DB using SQL *Loader. Below is the command line, i use to remove blank lines. sed '/^ *$/d' /loc/test.txt If i use the below command to replace the file after removing the blank lines, it replace the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove bad records from file and move them into a file then send those via email

Hi my requirement is that i want pull the bad records from input file and move those records in to a seperate file. that file has to be sent via email.. any suggentions please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sxk4999
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove comments from file with specific file name extensions

Hello Unix board community, I have to program a shell script, but I am a complete noob so I hope I get some help here. The assignment is as follows: The program removes all comments regardless of formatting or language from files with specific file name extensions (php, css, js, ...).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheZeusMan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Loop through file one, remove lines from file two

Good Afternoon, I start with a file named biglist.txt. I have another file smallerlist. txt I want to remove the lines from smallerlist.txt from biglist.txt and leave those lines that do not reside in smallerlist.txt. Thanks !! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk remove/grab lines from file with pattern from other file

Sorry for the weird title but i have the following problem. We have several files which have between 10000 and about 500000 lines in them. From these files we want to remove lines which contain a pattern which is located in another file (around 20000 lines, all EAN codes). We also want to get... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDohmen
28 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove lines from File.A based on criteria in File.B

Hello, I have two files of the following form. I would like to remove from File.A where the first three colum matches values in File.B to give the output in File.C File.A 121 54321 PQR CAT 122 765431 ABC DOG 124 98765 ZXY TIGER 125 86432 GEF LION File.B 122 765431 ABC 125 86432 GEF... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies
GIT-CLEAN(1)                                                        Git Manual                                                        GIT-CLEAN(1)

NAME
git-clean - Remove untracked files from the working tree SYNOPSIS
git clean [-d] [-f] [-i] [-n] [-q] [-e <pattern>] [-x | -X] [--] <path>... DESCRIPTION
Cleans the working tree by recursively removing files that are not under version control, starting from the current directory. Normally, only files unknown to Git are removed, but if the -x option is specified, ignored files are also removed. This can, for example, be useful to remove all build products. If any optional <path>... arguments are given, only those paths are affected. OPTIONS
-d Remove untracked directories in addition to untracked files. If an untracked directory is managed by a different Git repository, it is not removed by default. Use -f option twice if you really want to remove such a directory. -f, --force If the Git configuration variable clean.requireForce is not set to false, git clean will refuse to delete files or directories unless given -f, -n or -i. Git will refuse to delete directories with .git sub directory or file unless a second -f is given. -i, --interactive Show what would be done and clean files interactively. See "Interactive mode" for details. -n, --dry-run Don't actually remove anything, just show what would be done. -q, --quiet Be quiet, only report errors, but not the files that are successfully removed. -e <pattern>, --exclude=<pattern> In addition to those found in .gitignore (per directory) and $GIT_DIR/info/exclude, also consider these patterns to be in the set of the ignore rules in effect. -x Don't use the standard ignore rules read from .gitignore (per directory) and $GIT_DIR/info/exclude, but do still use the ignore rules given with -e options. This allows removing all untracked files, including build products. This can be used (possibly in conjunction with git reset) to create a pristine working directory to test a clean build. -X Remove only files ignored by Git. This may be useful to rebuild everything from scratch, but keep manually created files. INTERACTIVE MODE
When the command enters the interactive mode, it shows the files and directories to be cleaned, and goes into its interactive command loop. The command loop shows the list of subcommands available, and gives a prompt "What now> ". In general, when the prompt ends with a single >, you can pick only one of the choices given and type return, like this: *** Commands *** 1: clean 2: filter by pattern 3: select by numbers 4: ask each 5: quit 6: help What now> 1 You also could say c or clean above as long as the choice is unique. The main command loop has 6 subcommands. clean Start cleaning files and directories, and then quit. filter by pattern This shows the files and directories to be deleted and issues an "Input ignore patterns>>" prompt. You can input space-separated patterns to exclude files and directories from deletion. E.g. "*.c *.h" will excludes files end with ".c" and ".h" from deletion. When you are satisfied with the filtered result, press ENTER (empty) back to the main menu. select by numbers This shows the files and directories to be deleted and issues an "Select items to delete>>" prompt. When the prompt ends with double >> like this, you can make more than one selection, concatenated with whitespace or comma. Also you can say ranges. E.g. "2-5 7,9" to choose 2,3,4,5,7,9 from the list. If the second number in a range is omitted, all remaining items are selected. E.g. "7-" to choose 7,8,9 from the list. You can say * to choose everything. Also when you are satisfied with the filtered result, press ENTER (empty) back to the main menu. ask each This will start to clean, and you must confirm one by one in order to delete items. Please note that this action is not as efficient as the above two actions. quit This lets you quit without do cleaning. help Show brief usage of interactive git-clean. SEE ALSO
gitignore(5) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-CLEAN(1)