Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Capturing some data from a file into a variable Post 302076691 by shiroh_1982 on Thursday 15th of June 2006 07:43:20 AM
Old 06-15-2006
Capturing some data from a file into a variable

I have a file with some values in a tab delimted format

Eg:
'test' contains:

a<tab>b<tab>c<tab>Trk_12345678

now i need to capture this value 'Trk_12345678' into a variable say 'x' and append that value of 12345678 to 12345679 and store is back to a new 'test1' file as :

'test1' contains:

a<tab>b<tab>c<tab>Trk_12345679

Can someone kindly help me on this.I kinda know u have to use commands like sed,cut etc..i jst need some insight of the exact usage.

Thanks.
shiroh_1982

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing value into variable

Hi, I am new to shell scripting, I am trying to write a shell script, which will automate the process of mailing the invoices at the end of the day. For major part I am using Oracle database function. The problem is I want to capture the value returned by the Oracle function into the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasad01
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Unix Traceroute data

Hi guys, I need a way to capture the host on the next-to-last hop in a traceroute output. The last output is the destination but I need to capture the router just before the last hop. I can do this in perl but I'm not so sure about Shell... I'm on AIX 5.3 using ksh any ideas? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TivoliGUY
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing the o/p to a variable

Hi, #Script mentioned below txt=($(echo `./demo1.sh`)) p=0 for p in "$txt" do col=($(./generateTable /import/data01/sri/Developer/SqlReport/Lab/23/${var} "$p")) . . . . done o/p displayed upon executing a script called "demo1.sh" is as below(two seperate lines):... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: villain41
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing a value in to variable.

Hi, I currently have a shell script where it captures in the value in to 'TOTAL' and outputs to a file, i want to capture another value of a query in to another variable and output it. Current script: sqlplus -s $user <<EOD | read TOTAL set heading off set pages 0 set feedback off set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi0435
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Particular Data

Hi everyone! Can any one help me out regarding capturing relevant data from a file. For e.g, if i want to capture the comment written after "Prompt:" for a particular date, like for this case what would be the command to capture the tag written after "Prompt:" for Date: 2009-03-20. A... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: muhmsida
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing a file to store in a variable

I have a file in a windows directory the file is delivery to us like this 07210900.dat where 07210900 is the current date. If I want to store that file in a variable UpLoadFileName and rename, so I can Ftp later to a UNIX directory, I am doing this, is this correct? CDRemoteDir='cd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rechever
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing data between patterns

Hii, Friends, I want your help in one of my problem. My problem is as follows. I have a flat file as follows (Just a sample) MHT011 01(DOT)8750707asdfas8609 03(DOT)ASD3453ASD 09(DOT)876JHT87 11(DOT)sfd324ert TTT077 01(MOB)876786klj897 06(MOB)876JHT87 07(MOB)sfd324ert... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

capturing data of nethogs

I have installed nethogs to see which process is sending load on the network. i would like to know how can i capture its data in a log file. Or is there is a unix command like script or tee which can help me to capture the data using cronjob (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshus1
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing selective data from a vcd file

Hi, This is a vcd file.A vcd file may have 'n' modules. 1) I need to capture the data in bold,i.e. the module names (shown in bold) 2) Also i need to capture the data inside each individual module,say for tst_bench_top ,i need to capture data from line 4 to line 20 ... I just want one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: veerabahu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : not capturing all the data from excel sheet

Hi folks, I am working on assignment that captures all the records(2 columns one column contains names and other contain date of birth) from excel sheet stored in a directory and checks for current date and month. If it matches current date and month then the matched records are printed as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
1 Replies
pfspad(1)						      General Commands Manual							 pfspad(1)

NAME
pfspad - Add borders to a frame in PFS stream SYNOPSIS
pfspad [--left <columns>] [--right <columns>] [--top <rows>] [--bottom <rows>] [--width <new_width>] [--height <new_height>] [--R <val>] [--G <val>] [--B <val>] [--Y <val>] [--help] DESCRIPTION
Add borders to each frame in PFS stream. User specifies size of left, right, top and bottom border or size of an output image. Color of borders can be specified as well. OPTIONS
--left <columns>, -l <columns> Width in pixels of the left border. --right <columns>, -r <columns> Width in pixels of the right border. --top <rows>, -t <rows> Height in pixels of the top border. --bottom <rows>, -b <rows> Height in pixels of the bottom border. --width <new_width>, -W <new_width> Width of an output image. Note that --width can be mixed with either --left or --right option. --height <new_height>, -H <new_height> Height of an output image. Note that --height can be mixed with either --top or --bottom option. --R <val>, -R <val>, --G <val>, -G <val>, --B <val>, -B <val> Color of borders in RGB mode. Default color is black, and if some of the components is not specified, its value is set to 0.0. --Y <val>, -Y <val> Color of borders in luminance mode. --help, -h Print a list of commandline options. EXAMPLES
pfsin image.hdr | pfspad --left 50 --bottom 20 | pfsout out.hdr Add 50 columns to the left and 20 rows to the bottom side of image.hdr. Color of borders is default black. pfsin image.hdr | pfspad --top 20 --height 500 --width 400 --R 1.0 | pfsout out.hdr Add 20 rows to the top side of image.hdr and create output image out.hdr 500 pixels in height and 400 pixels in width. Color of bor- ders is set to red. SEE ALSO
pfsin(1) pfsout(1) BUGS
Please report bugs and comments to Dorota Zdrojewska <dzdrojewska@wi.ps.pl>. pfspad(1)