Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk help Post 302076554 by sandeep_hi on Wednesday 14th of June 2006 06:51:27 AM
Old 06-14-2006
awk help

Can any one tell me why isn't this code working??

echo "Enter string1 and string2"
read str1
read str2
awk 'BEGIN{}
{
for (i=1; i<=23; i++)
{
if(substr(str1,"$i",1) != substr(str2,"$i",1))
{
printf "%s", "$i"
}
}
}
END{}'

String1 11111111111111111111111
String2 11111111111111111111110
Expected output is 23.

Please help in this regard

-Sandeep

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk problem: How to express the single quote(') by using awk print function

Actually I got a list of file end with *.txt I want to use the same command apply to all the *.txt Thus I try to find out the fastest way to write those same command in a script and then want to let them run automatics. For example: I got the file below: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting/awk help : awk sum output is not comming in regular format. Pls advise.

Hi Experts, I am adding a column of numbers with awk , however not getting correct output: # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15291e+06 How can I getthe output like : 2152910 Thank you.. # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15079e+06 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: assign variable with -v didn't work in awk filter

I want to filter 2nd column = 2 using awk $ cat t 1 2 2 4 $ VAR=2 #variable worked in print $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR ' { print ID}' 2 2 # but variable didn't work in awk filter $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR '$2~/ID/ { print $0}' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk awk: program limit exceeded: sprintf buffer size=1020

Hi I have many problems with a script. I have a script that formats a text file but always prints the same error when i try to execute it The code is that: { if (NF==17){ print $0 }else{ fields=NF; all=$0; while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fate
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to compare a file with set of files in a directory using 'awk'

Hi, I have a situation to compare one file, say file1.txt with a set of files in directory.The directory contains more than 100 files. To be more precise, the requirement is to compare the first field of file1.txt with the first field in all the files in the directory.The files in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandek
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass awk field to a command line executed within awk

Hi, I am trying to pass awk field to a command line executed within awk (need to convert a timestamp into formatted date). All my attempts failed this far. Here's an example. It works fine with timestamp hard-codded into the command echo "1381653229 something" |awk 'BEGIN{cmd="date -d... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxer
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output yields error: awk:can't open job_name (Autosys)

Good evening, Im newbie at unix specially with awk From an scheduler program called Autosys i want to extract some data reading an inputfile that comprises jobs names, then formating the output to columns for example 1. This is the inputfile: $ more MapaRep.txt ds_extra_nikira_usuarios... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
18 Replies
PROP_STRING(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					    PROP_STRING(3)

NAME
prop_string, prop_string_create, prop_string_create_cstring, prop_string_create_cstring_nocopy, prop_string_copy, prop_string_copy_mutable, prop_string_size, prop_string_mutable, prop_string_cstring, prop_string_cstring_nocopy, prop_string_append, prop_string_append_cstring, prop_string_equals, prop_string_equals_cstring -- string value property object LIBRARY
Property Container Object Library (libprop, -lprop) SYNOPSIS
#include <prop/proplib.h> prop_string_t prop_string_create(void); prop_string_t prop_string_create_cstring(const char *cstring); prop_string_t prop_string_create_cstring_nocopy(const char *cstring); prop_string_t prop_string_copy(prop_string_t string); prop_string_t prop_string_copy_mutable(prop_string_t string); size_t prop_string_size(prop_string_t string); bool prop_string_mutable(prop_string_t string); char * prop_string_cstring(prop_string_t string); const char * prop_string_cstring_nocopy(prop_string_t string); bool prop_string_append(prop_string_t str1, prop_string_t str2); bool prop_string_append_cstring(prop_string_t string, const char *cstring); bool prop_string_equals(prop_string_t str1, prop_string_t str2); bool prop_string_equals_cstring(prop_string_t string, const char *cstring); DESCRIPTION
The prop_string family of functions operate on a string value property object type. prop_string_create(void) Create an empty mutable string. Returns NULL on failure. prop_string_create_cstring(const char *cstring) Create a mutable string that contains a copy of cstring. Returns NULL on failure. prop_string_create_cstring_nocopy(const char *cstring) Create an immutable string that contains a reference to cstring. Returns NULL on failure. prop_string_copy(prop_string_t string) Copy a string. If the string being copied is an immutable external C string reference, then the copy is also immutable and references the same external C string. Returns NULL on failure. prop_string_copy_mutable(prop_string_t string) Copy a string, always creating a mutable copy. Returns NULL on failure. prop_string_size(prop_string_t string) Returns the size of the string, not including the terminating NUL. If the supplied object isn't a string, zero is returned. prop_string_mutable(prop_string_t string) Returns true if the string is mutable. If the supplied object isn't a string, false is returned. prop_string_cstring(prop_string_t string) Returns a copy of the string's contents as a C string. The caller is responsible for freeing the returned buffer. In user space, the buffer is allocated using malloc(3). In the kernel, the buffer is allocated using malloc(9) using the malloc type M_TEMP. Returns NULL on failure. prop_string_cstring_nocopy(prop_string_t string) Returns an immutable reference to the contents of the string as a C string. If the supplied object isn't a string, NULL is returned. prop_string_append(prop_string_t str1, prop_string_t str2) Append the contents of str2 to str1, which must be mutable. Returns true upon success and false otherwise. prop_string_append_cstring(prop_string_t string, const char *cstring) Append the C string cstring to string, which must be mutable. Returns true upon success and false otherwise. prop_string_equals(prop_string_t str1, prop_string_t str2) Returns true if the two string objects are equivalent. prop_string_equals_cstring(prop_string_t string, const char *cstring) Returns true if the string's value is equivalent to cstring. SEE ALSO
prop_array(3), prop_bool(3), prop_data(3), prop_dictionary(3), prop_number(3), prop_object(3), proplib(3) HISTORY
The proplib property container object library first appeared in NetBSD 4.0. BSD
January 21, 2008 BSD