Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: MAX SIZE ARRAY Can Hold it
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users MAX SIZE ARRAY Can Hold it Post 302075731 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 6th of June 2006 12:48:04 PM
Old 06-06-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by epall
Hi,

Do anyone know what's the max size of array (in awk)
can be store before hit any memory issue.

Regards
no limit - as much as you have available memory.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Max size of variable

What is the maximum amount of characters that you can have in a varible name in the ksh shell? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Max I/O Size

My HP-UX 11.0 system is supporting an Oracle database. I have found a number of references on the Net to the "Max I/O size" in relation to setting Oracle parameters. How can I tell what my max i/o size is? I originally made the assumption that it was referring to my stripe size but now I think... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keelba
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to hold string array in shell scripts

Gents, Below is the Shell script which I am trying to hold a string of array that is passed from a java file. But it is not working . Can any one please help me to by fixing it. #!/bin/csh/ set copy = ($argv) echo $copy >> /home/users/bavananr/rrr.log echo $copy >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brajesh
3 Replies

4. Solaris

max. size of file

I wants to ask that what is the max size of file that we can create in the unix file system. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameerghogre
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Max. file size

i want to know what is the maximum file size supported by linux with ext3 file system. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

6. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the max integer a variable can hold?

I would like to know the maximum integer that a variable can hold. Actually one of my variable holds value 2231599773 and hence the script fails to process it.Do we have any other data type or options available to handle this long integers? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding max size

Hi I have a list of 2000 records with multiple entries and I want to get the max size for each entry ABC 1 ABC 2 ABC 3 ABC 4 DEF 1 DEF 2 DEF 2 DEF 2 DEF 2 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Max size directory

Hi I know that a perticular direxctory is cosuming max space . Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on nfsfi02:/vol/fivol2/Dir2/dir 104857600 92671400 12186200 89% /fs/dir I want to know which sub directory is consuming max... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
4 Replies

10. Programming

Php number array from max, min, step size mysql data

I want to create a form with data values in a dropdown list. The values in the dropdown list need to be generated on the fly from max, min and increment values contained in a mysql database. Hopefully this makes sense, I really have no idea where to start :confused: Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
6 Replies
shmget(2)							   System Calls 							 shmget(2)

NAME
shmget - get shared memory segment identifier SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ipc.h> #include <sys/shm.h> int shmget(key_t key, size_t size, int shmflg); DESCRIPTION
The shmget() function returns the shared memory identifier associated with key. A shared memory identifier and associated data structure and shared memory segment of at least size bytes (see intro(2)) are created for key if one of the following are true: o The key argument is equal to IPC_PRIVATE. o The key argument does not already have a shared memory identifier associated with it, and (shmflg&IPC_CREAT) is true. Upon creation, the data structure associated with the new shared memory identifier is initialized as follows: o The values of shm_perm.cuid, shm_perm.uid, shm_perm.cgid, and shm_perm.gid are set equal to the effective user ID and effective group ID, respectively, of the calling process. o The access permission bits of shm_perm.mode are set equal to the access permission bits of shmflg. shm_segsz is set equal to the value of size. o The values of shm_lpid, shm_nattch shm_atime, and shm_dtime are set equal to 0. o The shm_ctime is set equal to the current time. Shared memory segments must be explicitly removed after the last reference to them has been removed. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a non-negative integer representing a shared memory identifier is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The shmget() function will fail if: EACCES A shared memory identifier exists for key but operation permission (see intro(2)) as specified by the low-order 9 bits of shmflg would not be granted. EEXIST A shared memory identifier exists for key but both (shmflg&IPC_CREAT) and (shmflg&IPC_EXCL) are true. EINVAL The size argument is less than the system-imposed minimum or greater than the system-imposed maximum. See NOTES. A shared memory identifier exists for key but the size of the segment associated with it is less than size and size is not equal to 0. ENOENT A shared memory identifier does not exist for key and (shmflg&IPC_CREAT) is false. ENOMEM A shared memory identifier and associated shared memory segment are to be created but the amount of available memory is not sufficient to fill the request. ENOSPC A shared memory identifier is to be created but the system-imposed limit on the maximum number of allowed shared memory identifiers system-wide would be exceeded. See NOTES. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
rctladm(1M), intro(2), setrctl(2), shmctl(2), shmop(2), ftok(3C), getpagesize(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) NOTES
The project.max-shm-memory resource control restricts the total amount of shared memory a project can allocate. The system-imposed maximum on the size of a shared memory segment is therefore a function of the sizes of any other shared memory segments the calling project might have allocated that are still in use. For accounting purposes, segment sizes are rounded up to the nearest multiple of the system page size. See getpagesize(3C). The system-imposed limit on the number of shared memory identifiers is maintained on a per-project basis using the project.max-shm-ids resource control. See rctladm(1M) and setrctl(2) for information about using resource controls. SunOS 5.10 4 Sep 2003 shmget(2)