Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Auto Locking user accounts
Operating Systems Solaris Auto Locking user accounts Post 302075465 by RTM on Saturday 3rd of June 2006 10:23:15 AM
Old 06-03-2006
The /etc/default/login environment variables.

RETRIES=5. This variable controls how many attempts before the tty line is disconnected. Keep in mind that this does not disable the account. The user can always reconnect and make another 5 attempts.

SYSLOG_FAILED_LOGINS=5. This sets the number of failed attempts before logging via the auth.notice facility in syslog is done.

And since you are using Solaris 9:

Quote:
From Sunsolve:
Question: Does Solaris have a feature that will lock a user account after 3
or more failed login attempts?
Document Body: Top

Solaris[TM] 9 and older versions do not have a "built in" feature that allows you to lock or disable an account after a number of failed logins. However, they do have the capability to accept a pluggable authentication module. Granting the flexibility for such capabilities to be customized into older versions of Solaris via PAM.

One reason why this was not initially included was because it opens the possibility for "denial of service" attacks for users like root, staff and other. It is supported and included in Trusted Solaris because the root user is not a regular UNIX user, rather it is a role and cannot be logged into directly.

Systems using LDAP as their naming service are able to achieve this functionality in conjunction with the latest LDAP client patches and Sun[TM] ONE Directory Server 5.1 or newer.

Starting with Solaris[TM] 10, the option to configure this is available. This is done using the /etc/user_attr database and/or /etc/security/policy.conf to set lock_after_retries. The account will be locked after the number of retries is met as defined by RETRIES, located in the /etc/default/login file.

If there is still an interest in setting this up for older versions of Solaris, it is considered customization. You can either pay to have the customization, write it yourself, or search the internet for free PAM modules. All three are not supported by Sun Support. However, you can contact Sun Professional Services for information on what kind of service and fee they provide for this.

Here is Sun's link for PAM information:
http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/pam/

Reference:
RFE 4524783 enhance PAM authentication to allow account locking.
This feature is integrated in Solaris 10.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locking in user to $HOME

Is there a very easy and configurable method to lock a user into their home directory? I've checked on chroot() methodology.....but i'm not to excited about copying around ( or symlinking) libraries..binaries....etc. Thought about altering the groups via chgrp...to only allow read access to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thomas.jones
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Accounts

I have found a script to create user accounts. But there are a few lines i dont understand. Can someone help me with this? Here's the code: ###################################### while ; do ACCT=${USER_ACCT}${START} START=`expr $START + 1` START=`echo ${START} | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sensor
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with user accounts

I have a root access to a UNIX system. I want to create another account with administrative permissions (create users, delete them, manage print and system configuration), how do I do that? I have a Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9) installed. Please help. :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Accounts

Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to display a list of all existing user accounts on the system, not neccesarily looged in. Thanks in advance Stephen (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sroberts82
3 Replies

5. Solaris

solari s 10 auto account locking

does anyone know in solaris 10, can you lock an account if the user does not change their password within a certain amount of time? What i want to do is, if a user doesnt change their password within 90 days, i want the account locked. This is similar to the redhat linux passwd -i command. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Help with user accounts

Hi All, How to know all the shells a user has access. Thank you . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash for multiple accounts with auto-gen passwords

Hello, I am studying few things on unux and scripting. I need a script to create bulk users in unux. I need some assistance from you for creating 100 or more User IDs using a bash script: Here's my requirements: 1. I need to create 100 or even more user ids of different naming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shelldorado
1 Replies
pam_unix_auth(5)                                        Standards, Environments, and Macros                                       pam_unix_auth(5)

NAME
pam_unix_auth - PAM authentication module for UNIX SYNOPSIS
pam_unix_auth.so.1 DESCRIPTION
The pam_unix_auth module implements pam_sm_authenticate(), which provides functionality to the PAM authentication stack. It provides func- tions to verify that the password contained in the PAM item PAM_AUTHTOK is the correct password for the user specified in the item PAM_USER. If PAM_REPOSITORY is specified, then user's passwd is fetched from that repository. Otherwise, the default nsswitch.conf(4) repository is searched for that user. For accounts in the name services which support automatic account locking, the account may be config- ured to be automatically locked (see user_attr(4) and policy.conf(4)) after multiple failed login attempts. If the number of successive failures equals or exceeds RETRIES, the account is locked and PAM_MAXTRIES is returned. Currently, only the "files" repository (see passwd(4) and shadow(4)) supports automatic account locking. A successful authentication by this module clears the failed login counter and reports the number of failed attempts since the last successful authentication. Authentication service modules must implement both pam_sm_authenticate() and pam_sm_setcred(). To allow replacability of the authentication portion of UNIX authentication, pam_sm_setcred() in this module always returns PAM_IGNORE. This module should be stacked with pam_unix_cred(5) to ensure a successful return from pam_setcred(3PAM). The following options can be passed to the module: nowarn Turn off warning messages. server_policy If the account authority for the user, as specified by PAM_USER, is a server, do not apply the Unix policy from the passwd entry in the name service switch. nolock Regardless of the automatic account locking setting for the account, do not lock the account, increment or clear the failed login count. The nolock option allows for exempting account locking on a per service basis. ERRORS
The following error codes are returned from pam_sm_authenticate(): PAM_AUTH_ERR Authentication failure. PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_IGNORE Ignores module, not participating in result. PAM_MAXTRIES Maximum number of retries exceeded. PAM_PERM_DENIED Permission denied. PAM_SUCCESS Successfully obtains authentication token. PAM_SYSTEM_ERR System error. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN No account present for user. The following error codes are returned from pam_sm_setcred(): PAM_IGNORE Ignores this module regardless of the control flag. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT Level |MT-Safe with exceptions | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
login(1), passwd(1), useradd(1M), usermod(1M), roleadd(1M), rolemod(1M), libpam(3LIB), pam(3PAM), pam_authenticate(3PAM), pam_set- cred(3PAM), syslog(3C), pam.conf(4), passwd(4), policy.conf(4), nsswitch.conf(4), shadow(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5), pam_auth- tok_check(5), pam_authtok_get(5), pam_authtok_store(5), pam_dhkeys(5), pam_passwd_auth(5), pam_unix_account(5), pam_unix_session(5) NOTES
The interfaces in libpam(3LIB) are MT-Safe only if each thread within the multi-threaded application uses its own PAM handle. The pam_unix(5) module is no longer supported. Similar functionality is provided by pam_authtok_check(5), pam_authtok_get(5), pam_auth- tok_store(5), pam_dhkeys(5), pam_passwd_auth(5),pam_setcred(3PAM), pam_unix_account(5), pam_unix_cred(5), pam_unix_session(5). If the PAM_REPOSITORY item_type is set and a service module does not recognize the type, the service module does not process any informa- tion, and returns PAM_IGNORE. If the PAM_REPOSITORY item_type is not set, a service module performs its default action. SunOS 5.10 2 Aug 2004 pam_unix_auth(5)