Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting *.pm globs without quoting, *.pl doesn't. Post 302075400 by tphyahoo on Friday 2nd of June 2006 11:17:09 AM
Old 06-02-2006
*.pm globs without quoting, *.pl doesn't.

Can someone explain the following? I can use find on *.pm without quotes, but find on *.pl makes on error, I need quotes for the second version. What's up with that?

Code:
$find -name *.pm
./tieProxyStatus/Status.pm
$find -name *.pl
find: paths must precede expression
Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [path...] [expression]
$find -name '*.pl'
./persistence/dbm/persistenceFileRead.pl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards and quoting

Hi All In a script, I want a user to enter 4 characters, these can be a mix of letters (uppercase and lowercase) and numbers. In this example $var represents what the user has entered. eg $var can be A9xZ, 3DDL, bbHp .........etc I need to check that the user has only entered characters... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quoting of special characters

Hello, I am getting very confused as to where should i quote special/metacharacters in shell. Sometimes i write * directly and it works, othertimes i have to do "*". Same is the case with other special characters like /,\,.,$,etc. Can somebody give me link to somewhere where i can found... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

quoting in conditional statement

can somebody help, what quote i should use in below statement or what wrong of it ? the 1st (*) is a char, the 2nd and 3rd (*) is a wildcard if ] && ] && ] ................^ .............^ then echo "ok" fi thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3Gmobile
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

quoting question

hi guys, i have a question related to quoting but i am not sure how to formulate it... lets say we want to simulate the following shell actions cd ~/project-dir ctags /home/work/folder1/*.sh /home/work/folder2/*.sh /home/work/folder3/*.sh so i make the following script buidtags.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aegis
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk quoting problem

I think this has to do with the quoting, I just feel I've been looking at it too long. Thanks ~T prompt> cat my.awk BEGIN{"date +%d%b%Y.%H%M%S" | getline sDate} { if (substr($0,151,1) ~ /6/ ) print >> sDate".NEW_ORDER.dat" # print >> sDate # note this works to output the contents to sDate,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcstuff
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quoting Characters

I have this data how do i add ' ' to them like '-AAL00L' , '-BBE4577' , 'ABC' -AAL00L -BBE4577 ABC (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

quoting just selected words

Hi all, i have a file that looks like: one:two:three:four:five six:seven:eight:nine:ten and i'd like to quote the fourth column, getting: one:two:three:"four":five six:seven:eight:"nine":ten i was thinking something like: awk 'BEGIN{FS=":"}{print $1 FS $2 FS $3 FS \"$4\" FS $5}'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Osascript quoting issue

I am at a loss on this one. I am trying to run this command on a bunch of (OS 10.7.4) macs:osascript -e "tell application \"System Events\" to return name of every process whose frontmost is true" On some, it works fine. On others, I get this error: I have also tried (note the single quotes):... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash quoting

I am trying to write a BASH script that will prompt a user to enter a number of days, then calculate the date. My problem is the date command uses single or double quotes. For Example.. date -d "7 days" Here is an example of some same code I am trying to work through. echo "when do you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: javajockey
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to extract paragraph with globs in it

Hi, Its been a long time since I have used Bash to write a script so am really struggling here. Need the gurus to help me out. uname -a Linux lxserv01 2.6.18-417.el5 i have a text file with blocks of code written in a similar manner ******* BEGIN MESSAGE ******* Station /... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
12 Replies
File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			 File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3pm)

NAME
File::Find::Rule::Procedural - File::Find::Rule's procedural interface SYNOPSIS
use File::Find::Rule; # find all .pm files, procedurally my @files = find(file => name => '*.pm', in => @INC); DESCRIPTION
In addition to the regular object-oriented interface, File::Find::Rule provides two subroutines for you to use. "find( @clauses )" "rule( @clauses )" "find" and "rule" can be used to invoke any methods available to the OO version. "rule" is a synonym for "find" Passing more than one value to a clause is done with an anonymous array: my $finder = find( name => [ '*.mp3', '*.ogg' ] ); "find" and "rule" both return a File::Find::Rule instance, unless one of the arguments is "in", in which case it returns a list of things that match the rule. my @files = find( name => [ '*.mp3', '*.ogg' ], in => $ENV{HOME} ); Please note that "in" will be the last clause evaluated, and so this code will search for mp3s regardless of size. my @files = find( name => '*.mp3', in => $ENV{HOME}, size => '<2k' ); ^ | Clause processing stopped here ------/ It is also possible to invert a single rule by prefixing it with "!" like so: # large files that aren't videos my @files = find( file => '!name' => [ '*.avi', '*.mov' ], size => '>20M', in => $ENV{HOME} ); AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Find::Rule perl v5.12.4 2011-09-19 File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3pm)