Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is there a way to make this find job run as one process, more efficiently? Post 302075318 by tphyahoo on Thursday 1st of June 2006 03:29:39 PM
Old 06-01-2006
Is there a way to make this find job run as one process, more efficiently?

Hi, unixers, I'm doing something like

find -type f -name '*.gif' | xargs rm &
find -type f -user root | xargs chown idealo &
wait
#do more stuff

on a very large dir. I'm thinking this would be more efficient if it was running as a single process that did one thing for the first condition, another thing for the other condition. I could do this with perl (File::Find), but I'm wondering if there's an elegant solution with bash.

thanks for any insight!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing unix job after the job process completes

Hi, Thanks in advance. i need to kill a unix background running job after that job process completes. i can kill a job by giving the following unix command kill -9 processid how to kill the job after the current process run gets completed ? Appreciate your valuable help. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dtazv
1 Replies

2. Solaris

killing a unix job after the job process gets completed

Hi, Thanks in advance. i need to kill a unix background running job after that job process completes. i can kill a job by giving the following unix command kill -9 processid how to kill the job after the current process run gets completed ? Appreciate your valuable help. Thanks... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtazv
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

make a foreground running process to run background without hang up

I've tried this a long time ago and was successful but could not remember how i did it. Tried ctrl+Z and then used bg % could not figure what i did after to keep it no hangup - not sure if used nohup -p pid, can u plz help me out if this can be done. Any help will be appreciated. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find pid of process run in specific location

Hello, I have a process a.out that runs from /a and /b How can I get the pid of the one running from /a ps -C /a/a.out does not work Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find the process was run using nohup or ksh.

Hi, I want to write a script which should be run only on foreground. Is there any way that the script can check itself whether it was run using nohup or ksh and if the user runs the script using nohup then it should prompt the user to run it using ksh? If (The user triggers the script using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RRVARMA
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the parent process to wait for the child process

Hi All, I have two ksh script. 1st script calls the 2nd script and the second script calls an 'C' program. I want 1st script to wait until the 'C' program completes. I cant able to get the process id for the 'C' program (child process) to make the 1st script to wait for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sennidurai
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a job between times else run later

Hi guys, I have written a script that waits for a trigger file. Then checks the time of the trigger. if the trigger finished between 8pm and midnight then runs a job. else it waits till 1am then runs a different job. I am still very new to scripting so any suggestions to improve my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: twinion
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies
dpkg-name(1)							  dpkg utilities						      dpkg-name(1)

NAME
dpkg-name - rename Debian packages to full package names SYNOPSIS
dpkg-name [options] [--] files DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the dpkg-name program which provides an easy way to rename Debian packages into their full package names. A full package name consists of <package>_<version>_<architecture>.<package_type> as specified in the control file of the package. The <version> part of the filename consists of the upstream version information optionally followed by a hyphen and the revision information. The <pack- age_type> part comes from that field if present or fallbacks to deb. OPTIONS
-a, --no-architecture The destination filename will not have the architecture information. -k, --symlink Create a symlink, instead of moving. -o, --overwrite Existing files will be overwritten if they have the same name as the destination filename. -s, --subdir [dir] Files will be moved into a subdirectory. If the directory given as argument exists the files will be moved into that directory oth- erwise the name of the target directory is extracted from the section field in the control part of the package. The target directory will be `unstable/binary-<architecture>/<section>'. If the section is not found in the control, then `no-section' is assumed, and in this case, as well as for sections `non-free' and `contrib' the target directory is `<section>/binary-<architecture>'. The section field isn't required so a lot of packages will find their way to the `no-section' area. Use this option with care, it's messy. -c, --create-dir This option can used together with the -s option. If a target directory isn't found it will be created automatically. Use this option with care. -h, --help Show the usage message and exit. -v, --version Show the version and exit. EXAMPLES
dpkg-name bar-foo.deb The file `bar-foo.deb' will be renamed to bar-foo_1.0-2_i386.deb or something similar (depending on whatever information is in the control part of `bar-foo.deb'). find /root/debian/ -name '*.deb' | xargs -n 1 dpkg-name -a All files with the extension `deb' in the directory /root/debian and its subdirectory's will be renamed by dpkg-name if required into names with no architecture information. find -name '*.deb' | xargs -n 1 dpkg-name -a -o -s -c Don't do this. Your archive will be messed up completely because a lot of packages don't come with section information. Don't do this. dpkg --build debian-tmp && dpkg-name -o -s .. debian-tmp.deb This can be used when building new packages. BUGS
Some packages don't follow the name structure <package>_<version>_<architecture>.deb. Packages renamed by dpkg-name will follow this struc- ture. Generally this will have no impact on how packages are installed by dselect(1)/ dpkg(1), but other installation tools might depend on this naming structure. SEE ALSO
deb(5), deb-control(5), dpkg(1), dpkg-deb(1), find(1), xargs(1). AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1995,1996 Erick Branderhorst This is free software; see the GNU General Public Licence version 2 or later for copying conditions. There is NO WARRANTY. Debian Project 2008-08-18 dpkg-name(1)