Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Sol10 upgraded from 5.8 - shell issues? Post 302074882 by Perderabo on Friday 26th of May 2006 04:30:42 PM
Old 05-26-2006
You're right about the first issue.
date > /dev/null/
will work on many OS's including Solaris 9 but it will not work on Solaris 10. That is a little interesting... I never tried to write to /dev/null/ before. But that is a very odd thing to do. Just switch to the correct syntax.

I just tried:
echo abc | /usr/bin/tr a b
which worked fine for me. So I can't help you there.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting issues

hi, I am stuck in a shell script where in i need to extract the specific users from \etc\passwd file. Once this is done, i need to assign Roles to these users which are different for different users. What could be the optimum solution. If i hard code the Roles values in a text file, how would i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashutosh101
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script programming issues

I'm having trouble running this script. I'm new to Unix so be kind please. #!/bin/sh # Test to make sure only a single parameter is passed from the # command line. if then echo "Usage: AC.sh <directory>" exit fi # Is the parameter a directory test if then echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FSUdude08
3 Replies

3. Programming

Getting the random failure after upgraded the gcc version 3.1 to 3.4.6

I am getting the a random failure after upgrading the gcc version 3.1 to 3.4.6. My code where it is failing contains some STL and shared memory concepts.It is perfectly working on old version of gcc.I want to know what are possible causes that made this random error after upgrading gcc 3.4.6. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapilkumawat
2 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

upgraded to OSX 10.6.6 - cannot sudo

I've been using "sudo" inside Terminal. I just upgraded to 10.6.6 and now "sudo" gives me incorrect password errors. My user is an admin user, so i can install etc on GUI but unable to do anything in terminal. 1. I did a repair permissions and restarted but cannot sudo. 2. i had an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to install Sol10 on V245, exiting to shell.

Hi there, OK so I am super-green, but I have a problem I am hoping someone can help me with. I have a V245 that I am unable to install Solaris 10 (10/09) onto as during the initial install process, the UI pops up for region selection, but then as I enter my region, identify the system, up comes... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: wallrunn3r
21 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

The ISS has upgraded to Linux

Remember this thread from a few years ago? What a difference just a few years make! Those laptops I mentioned were running Windows. Then one of the Russians got an infected thumb drive. It infected his laptop and spread throughout the ISS. NASA ordered a switch to Linux to ensure that it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Tapatalk Upgraded

Hello, FYI, I upgraded our Tapatalk Version to version 4.8.1 today (from version 4.3.2). All seem to be OK but we never know! Please post in this thread if you see any problems after the upgrade. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Upgraded BIOS - cannot see Solaris partition??

I have recently upgraded my Supermicro X10SAT motherboard. I have also a SSD with a Windows10 partition and a Solaris 11.3 partition. Upon boot I press F11 and choose which partition I want to boot into. But after the bios upgrade, I cannot see the Solaris partition when I press "F11" to choose... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
9 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Cut Over to New Data Center and Upgraded OS Done. :)

Three days ago we received an expected notice from our long time data center that they were going dark on Sept 12th. About one and a half hours ago, after three days of marathon work, I just cut over the unix.com to a new data center with a completely new OS and Ubuntu distribution. (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
22 Replies
pfexec(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         pfexec(1)

NAME
pfexec, pfsh, pfcsh, pfksh - execute a command in a profile SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/pfexec command /usr/bin/pfexec -P privspec command [ arg ...] /usr/bin/pfsh [ options ] [ argument ...] /usr/bin/pfcsh [ options ] [ argument ...] /usr/bin/pfksh [ options ] [ argument ...] DESCRIPTION
The pfexec program is used to execute commands with the attributes specified by the user's profiles in the exec_attr(4) database. It is invoked by the profile shells, pfsh, pfcsh, and pfksh which are linked to the Bourne shell, C shell, and Korn shell, respectively. Profiles are searched in the order specified in the user's entry in the user_attr(4) database. If the same command appears in more than one profile, the profile shell uses the first matching entry. The second form, pfexec -P privspec, allows a user to obtain the additional privileges awarded to the user's profiles in prof_attr(4). The privileges specification on the commands line is parsed using priv_str_to_set(3C). The resulting privileges are intersected with the union of the privileges specified using the "privs" keyword in prof_attr(4) for all the user's profiles and added to the inheritable set before executing the command. USAGE
pfexec is used to execute commands with predefined process attributes, such as specific user or group IDs. Refer to the sh(1), csh(1), and ksh(1) man pages for complete usage descriptions of the profile shells. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Obtaining additional user privileges example% pfexec -P all chown user file This command runs chown user file with all privileges assigned to the current user, not necessarily all privileges. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), profiles(1), sh(1), exec_attr(4), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2003 pfexec(1)