Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris network interface problem solaris 2.5 Post 302074821 by kroegand on Friday 26th of May 2006 01:11:56 AM
Old 05-26-2006
network interface problem solaris 2.5

Hi guys,

Hope somebody can help me on this. I have a Sun Sparc 20 workstation and it has a boot problem. During boot, an error message " ifconfig:socket: Bad File Number" come up and the workstation hang (cannot boot).

I did boot -s and checked using ifconfig -a command but i got the same error. Did checking on /etc/path_to_inst and prtconf and found le0 as my network interface. Anybody knows what cause the problem and how to fix it? I also try booting from CD - boot cdrom -s - and the system can boot properly so I thing this is a software problem not a hardware. Is it driver problem or something else??

Thanks in advance

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

network interface problem

Hi expert, Need some help on network interface issue.. I have added 2 x NIC card onto the Ultra 2 system recently and configured as hme1 and hme2. I have unconfigured the onboard hme0 network interface and it was running fine till few days later, i keep recieving error messages showing hme0... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sc2005
6 Replies

2. AIX

Problem with a Network Interface

Hi every body, I have a Fiber Channel interface (fcs2) in AIX 5.2. This interface was fine & up but for some reason I could not return this interface UP again after I set it DOWN. When I tried to set this interface UP I encountered the following error: Method error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
7 Replies

3. Solaris

Route new network interface Solaris 8

Hi there, I'm trying to configure an additional network interface on Solaris 8 (eri0). The interface has been activated, but all the frames are still routed to the current default interface (ce0) I've tried following command (with various syntaxes...) unsuccessfully so far: # route add... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreiniche
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Getting Network Interface details in solaris

Hi, /sbin/ifconfig -a when i login as guest user , output like below, lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 eri0: flags=1004843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DHCP,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2 inet... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumguest
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Network interface problem

Hi i have replace a NIC card on solaris 10 when i give the following command ifconfig -a it just show the lo0 (only loop back with inet 127.0.0.1) when i give the following command to config the interface, ifconfig elxl0 plumb ifconfig: plumb: elxl0: no such interface please help... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
11 Replies

6. Solaris

Network interface problem

HI, genunix: NOTICE: ce0: xcvr addr:0x01 - link up 100 Mbps half duplex genunix: WARNING: ce0: fault detected external to device; service degraded genunix: WARNING: ce0: xcvr addr:0x01 - link down genunix: NOTICE: ce0: fault cleared external to device; service available genunix: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Configure network interface for Solaris 10

Hi, I have installed Solaris 10 on VMware7, When i used ifconfig -a to check network interface, it has shown lo0 as loopback interface. Please advise how to configure network interfaces using VMware. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajhal04
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Network Interface -- Solaris

Dear All, I have a solaris Server in which I have 4 network interfaces , out of which only one is used . So all the applications are using this interface . The interface speed is 1000Mbps . I find no hardware issue or packets g being dropped. But i find that no of Input and Output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Network interface configuration - Solaris 11

Hi, I am new in Solaris 11. I can't even make the NIC work. Here is the issue: Any help will be greatly appreciated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
6 Replies
NDBOOTD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						NDBOOTD(8)

NAME
ndbootd -- Sun Network Disk (ND) Protocol server SYNOPSIS
ndbootd [-s boot2] [-i interface] [-w windowsize] [-d] boot1 DESCRIPTION
ndbootd is a server which supports the Sun Network Disk (ND) Protocol. This protocol was designed by Sun before they designed NFS. ND sim- ply makes the raw blocks of a disk available to network clients. Contrast this with the true namespace and file abstractions that NFS pro- vides. The only reason you're likely to encounter ND nowadays is if you have an old Sun 2 machine, like the 2/120 or 2/50. The Sun 2 PROMs can only use ND to boot over the network. (Later, the Sun 3 PROMs would use RARP and TFTP to boot over the network.) ndbootd is a very simple ND server that only supports client reads for booting. It exports a disk that the clients consider to be /dev/ndp0 (ND public unit zero). The disk is available only to clients that are listed in /etc/ethers and have valid hostnames. (Sun 2 PROMs don't do RARP, but they do learn their IP address from the first ND response they receive from the server.) boot1 is a file containing the mandatory first-stage network boot program, typically /usr/mdec/bootyy. The layout of the exported disk is: o block 0: normally a Sun disklabel (but ignored by the PROM) o blocks 1-15: the first-stage network boot program With the -s boot2 option, ndbootd will also make a second-stage network boot program available to clients, typically /usr/mdec/netboot. When boot2 is a filename, that file is the single second-stage network boot program to be served to all clients. When boot2 is a directory name, typically /tftpboot, ndbootd finds a client's second-stage network boot program by turning its IP address into a filename in that directory, in the same manner later Sun 3 PROMs do when TFTPing (i.e., if a client has IP address 192.168.1.10, ndbootd expects to find /tftpboot/C0A8010A.SUN2 ). When used in this last manner with an ND-aware first-stage boot program, ndbootd serves the same purpose in the Sun 2 netboot process as tftpd(8) serves in the Sun 3 netboot process. Any second-stage network boot program always begins at block 16 of the exported disk, regardless of the length of the first-stage network boot program. All first- and second-stage network boot programs must have all executable headers stripped off; they must be raw binary programs. The remaining options are: -i interface Only listen for ND clients on interface interface. Normally ndbootd listens for clients on the first non-loopback IP interface that is up and running. -w windowsize This adjusts the window size of the ND protocol. This is the number of 1-kilobyte packets that can be transmitted before waiting for an acknowledgement. Defaults to 6. -d Run in debug mode. Debugging output goes to standard error and the server will not fork. FILES
/etc/ethers /etc/hosts SEE ALSO
tftpd(8) BUGS
Whether or not there is a second-stage network boot program, the exported disk appears to all clients to have infinite length. The content of all blocks not used by the first- or second-stage network boot programs is undefined. All client reads of undefined blocks are silently allowed by the server. BSD
May 9, 2001 BSD