Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users mysql would not start: missing mysql.sock Post 302074739 by xnightcrawl on Thursday 25th of May 2006 01:59:41 PM
Old 05-25-2006
mysql would not start: missing mysql.sock

I recently installed mysql-standard-5.0.21-solaris9-sparc-64bit.pkg on a Solaris 9 machine (SunOS 5.9 Generic_118558-19 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250). The package installation went very smooth, however, starting mysql is a different story. I get the message below everytime I try to start mysql:

# mysql start
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

According to pkginfo -l, the installation was successful:

# uname -a
SunOS <hostname> 5.9 Generic_118558-19 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
# pkginfo -l mysql
PKGINST: mysql
NAME: MySQL Community Edition - Standard (GPL)
CATEGORY: application
ARCH: sun4u
VERSION: 5.0.21
BASEDIR: /opt/mysql
VENDOR: MySQL AB
PSTAMP: MySQL AB Build Engineers
INSTDATE: May 25 2006 10:40
EMAIL: build@mysql.com
FILES: 1668 installed pathnames
54 directories
99 executables
163084 blocks used (approx)

I also did a find on mysql.sock, and I came up with nothing. Any ideas? I would really appreciate any help or advise Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MySQL problem >> missing mysql.sock

MySQL on my server is down.... I figured out that the mysqld process isn't running. When I try to run it, it says it can't find mysql.sock Any suggestions? Here's what I can't do: can't be root don't have physical access (do stuff via SSH) reinstall MySQL (need to keep the current MySQL... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: _hp_
8 Replies

2. Programming

MySQL service start error

Hi, I have installed MySql version 5.0.67 in RedHat LINUX version 5. The installation completed successfully. When I am trying to start the service an error occured the error shown below ".......Manager of pid-file quit without updating file" Can anyone help me to fix the problem.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanakumar
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

Missing dependencies updating unixODBC / MySQL Connector

I have installed mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.5-0.i386.rpm and libtools on my Fedora12 system. Updating with yum says that there is nothing to update. Updating with rpm -Uvh mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.7-0.i386.rpm fails with the same missing dependencies as for the 64-bit version. Should I force... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bengbers
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] mysql.sock is missing..

mysql.sock file is missing in /opt/lampp/etc/ is there any backup file available in unix... since without that file .. project is not opening.. reply me as soon as possible ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
19 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

MySQL missing my.cnf

Hi, SLES11 : I've installed the following MySQL Package: MySQL-client-community-5.1.54-1.sles11.x86_64 MySQL-devel-community-5.1.54-1.sles11.x86_64 MySQL-server-community-5.1.54-1.sles11.x86_64 MySQL-shared-community-5.1.54-1.sles11.x86_64Problem: I don't see any my.cnf file (find / -name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiddenshadow
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

MySQL (mysqld) fails to start!

Hello, I have recently installed MySql and I encourage an error. I am using Fedora 15 and when I am trying to start mysqld service i am getting the following error message: Starting mysqld (via systemctl): Job failed. See system logs and 'systemctl status' for details. If I try to start it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dot_pro
4 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

MySQL Daemon failed to start - no mysql.sock file

After doing a yum install mysql mysql-server on Fedora 14 I wasn't able to fully install the packages correctly. It installed MySQL 5.1. I was getting the following error when running the: mysql ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
3 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Mysql missing mysqld.sock (Linux)

I am trying to start a server for a class I am in but... mysql won't start with this error ( ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) ) ---------- Post updated at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:50 PM ---------- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slayer939
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MySQL Database Missing on UNIX server. Possible to recover?

My dedicated server is VERY old (running Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) PHP/4.4.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510). We have a script that runs and manages our customer database. Early in the morning last Friday, it was working fine and processed data as usual. Later in the day, we got this error: Cannot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SurfMe69
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress.

hi i started in the apache userdirectory and virtual host now iwant installtion wordpress in home one of the useres But this error is Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress. And the configuration files and other items I was enter... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnnn
0 Replies
platform(4)							   File Formats 						       platform(4)

NAME
platform - directory of files specifying supported platforms SYNOPSIS
.platform DESCRIPTION
The Solaris operating environment release includes the .platform directory, a new directory on the Solaris CD image. This directory con- tains files (created by Sun and Solaris OEMs) that define platform support. These files are generically referred to as platform definition files. They provide a means to map different platform types into a platform group. Platform definition files in the .platform directory are used by the installation software to ensure that software appropriate for the architecture of the system will be installed. Sun provides a platform definition file named .platform/Solaris . This file is the only one that can define platform groups to which other platform definition files can refer. For example, an OEM platform definition file can refer to any platform group specified in the Solaris platform definition file. Other platform definition files are delivered by OEMs. To avoid name conflicts, OEMs will name their platform definition file with an OEM- unique string. OEMs should use whatever string they use to make their package names unique. This unique string is often the OEM's stock symbol. Comments are allowed in a platform definition file. A "#" begins a comment and can be placed anywhere on a line. Platform definition files are composed of keyword-value pairs, and there are two kinds of stanzas in the file: platform group definitions and platform identifications. o Platform group definitions: The keywords in a platform group definition stanza are: PLATFORM_GROUP The PLATFORM_GROUP keyword must be the first keyword in the platform group definition stanza. The value assigned to this keyword is the name of the platform group, for example: PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4c The PLATFORM_GROUP name is an arbitrary name assigned to a group of platforms. However, PLATFORM_GROUP typically equals the output of the uname -m command. PLATFORM_GROUP value cannot have white space and is limited to 256 ASCII characters. INST_ARCH The instruction set architecture of all platforms in the platform group, for example: INST_ARCH=sparc The INST_ARCH keyword value must be the value returned by the uname -p command on all platforms in the platform group. o Platform identifications: The keywords in a platform identification stanza are: PLATFORM_NAME The PLATFORM_NAME keyword must be the first keyword in the platform identification stanza. The PLATFORM_NAME is the name assigned to the platform, for example: PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,SPARCstation-5 Typically, this name is the same as the value returned by the uname -icommand on the machine, but it need not be the same. The PLATFORM_NAME value cannot have white space and is limited to 256 ASCII characters. If it contains paren- theses, it must contain only balanced parentheses. For example. the string "foo(bar)foo" is a valid value for this keyword, but "foo(bar" is not. The other keywords in the platform identification stanza can be in any order, as long as the PLATFORM_NAME keyword is first. PLATFORM_ID The value returned by the uname -i command on the machine, for example: PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,SPARCstation-5 MACHINE_TYPE The value returned by the uname -m command on the machine, for example: MACHINE_TYPE=sun4c IN_PLATFORM_GROUP The platform group of which the platform is a member, for example: IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4c The platform group name must be specified in the same file as the platform identification stanza or in the platform definition file with the name .platform/Solaris . The IN_PLATFORM_GROUP keyword is optional. A platform doesn't have to belong to a platform group. If a plat- form is not explicitly assigned to a platform group, it essentially forms its own platform group, where the platform group name is the PLATFORM_NAME value. The IN_PLATFORM_GROUP value typically equals the output of the uname -m command. IN_PLATFORM_GROUP value cannot have white space and is limited to 256 ASCII characters. INST_ARCH The instruction set architecture of the platform, for example: INST_ARCH=sparc This field is only required if the platform does not belong to a platform group. The INST_ARCH keyword value must be the value returned by the uname -i command on all platforms in the platform group. COMPATIBILITY
The installation program will remain compatible with the old Solaris CD format. If a Solaris CD image does not contain any platform defini- tion files, the installation and upgrade programs will select the packages to be installed based on machine type, that is, the value returned by the uname -p command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Platform Group Definitions The following example shows platform group definitions from the .platform/Solaris platform definition file. # PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u INST_ARCH=sparc Example 2: Platform Identification Stanzas The following example shows platform identification stanzas, which define systems that belong in a platform group, from the .plat- form/Solaris platform definition file. # PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,SunFire PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,SunFire IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,Ultra-80 PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,Ultra-80 IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u # PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,SunFire PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,SunFire IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u # PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,Ultra-80 PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,Ultra-80 IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u FILES
The .platform directory must reside as /cd_image/Solaris_vers/.platform, where cd_image Is the path to the mounted Solaris CD (/cdrom/cdrom0/s0 by default) or the path to a copy of the Solaris CD on a disk. Solaris_vers Is the version of Solaris, for example, Solaris_2.9. NOTES
Typically, a platform identification stanza contains either a PLATFORM_ID or a MACHINE_TYPE stanza, but not both. If both are specified, both must match for a platform to be identified as this platform type. Each platform identification stanza must con- tain either a PLATFORM_ID value or a MACHINE_TYPE value. If a platform matches two different platform identification stanzas--one which matched on the value of PLATFORM_ID and one which matched on the value of MACHINE_TYPE , the one that matched on PLATFORM_ID will take precedence. The .platform directory is part of the Solaris CD image, whether that be the Solaris CD or a copy of the Solaris CD on a system's hard disk. SunOS 5.10 19 Nov 2002 platform(4)