Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ps uax comand on AIX box
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ps uax comand on AIX box Post 302074432 by asutoshch on Tuesday 23rd of May 2006 10:01:19 AM
Old 05-23-2006
ps uax comand on AIX box

I am trying to find the total CPU usage on an IBM AIX machine that could have several processors. I am using
ps uax | awk {'print $3'} to find the CPU usage columns for the processes and then adding them up to find the total CPU usage. It was doing fine. However to my surprise, I find that the %CPU usage column shows a much higher value (38601304.034456). I must tell that interestingly only the first 3 processes (java ant command, some dba command and the other one admin command from root) are showing these values and rest are cool. I was of the opinion that the %CPU usage would never cross 100. I am working for a load manager and need to find the total %CPU usage on several boxes and selects the most lightly loaded one for a request to be redirected.

Is there anything seriously wrong in my approach? Can someone throw some light?

Thanks

Asutoshc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a disk to an AIX box

I have been asked to look at an AIX box that the owner (not a technical person) installed a new SCSI disk into, but cannot figure out how to build volumes or file systems on. It has been years since I messed with AIX, and I remember enough to know that it isn't like Solaris. To make things... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

mail host name on AIX box.

Hi, I was wondering if any body out there can tell me how can I find out what is the name of the mail host on the AIX box that I am working on? Is there any command to bring up the configuration for the mail server or mail host? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaz
4 Replies

3. AIX

moving AIX ver 4.2.1 to another AIX box

i want to move my AIX os ver 4.2.1 to a new version IBM system. how can i acheive this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gmonix
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between AIX box and Sun Solaris box

Hi, I need a clarification. Is there any difference between AIX box and Sun Solaris box? The bzip command with -c option works in AIX box and the same does not work in Sun Solaris box. Can anyone please explain if there is an implementation difference in both these boxes for the shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nisha4680
1 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 5.1 Box not booting

Quick backgound. We just moved the Datacenter. I attempted to boot one of our older AIX machines backup and it stops at a 518 Error code. Which is fine I need to run fsck on the volumes. The issue is I can't find the original media with the appropriate Date that was originally installed(previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcompguru
1 Replies

6. AIX

cfgmgr in my aix box

Hi When I run cfgmgr -v in my aix box I get the below error : cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are required for device support but are not currently installed. devices.loopback My oslevel is 6100-06-02-1044 Please assist. Please use and tags when... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
3 Replies

7. AIX

How to check the LPAR in a AIX box ?

I have login into a server, and when i launch this command uname -L. I can see there is a LPAR. But is there anymore commands i can use to get more information on the LPAR ? like it is VIO ? wat the IP address ? etc, etc. please help. Thank you. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wingcross
7 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

securing AIX box

Guys, i want to securing AIX after install by scrath. Is anybody can inform about the standard port which used by AIX? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: michlix
0 Replies

9. AIX

Setting AIX box at home.

Hi guys... I have got a old Aix box i.e. 7043 - 150 for home experimenting purposes. I am having some issues to setup the tcpip on it correctly, so that i can access it within the network and also from outside i.e. work. My setup looks like this: Modem ----> Apple airport wireless router... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uzair_rock
2 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Where to get AIX box/servers for practice?

where I'm working does not have any AIX box/servers for testing eventhough we're not heavily invested on UNIX. It is just sometimes there are a few client's servers that need AIX related stuff to be done. last time I checked, I could find old AIX tower on ebay but there's no more. p/s: on job... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malayo
4 Replies
pbs_resources_aix4(7B)							PBS						    pbs_resources_aix4(7B)

NAME
pbs_resources_aix4 - pbs Resources on IBM AIX 4 DESCRIPTION
This page summarizes the resources supported by PBS for IBM systems running AIX version 4. These resources are specified for jobs by including them in the -l option argument on the qsub or qalter command or in the PBS job script. RESOURCES
cput Maximum amount of CPU time used by all processes in the job. Units: time. file The largest size of any single file that may be created by the job. Units: size. mem Maximum amount of physical memory (workingset) used by the job. Units: size. vmem Maximum amount of virtual memory used by all concurrent processes in the job. Units: size. nice The nice value under which the job is to be run. Units: unitary. pcput Maximum amount of CPU time used by any single process in the job. Units: time. pmem Maximum amount of physical memory (workingset) used by any single process of the job. Units: size. pvmem Maximum amount of virtual memory used by any single process in the job. Units: size. walltime Maximum amount of real time during which the job can be in the running state. Units: time. arch Specifies the administrator defined system architecture requried. This defaults to whatever the PBS_MACH string is set to in "local.mk". Units: string. host Name of host on which job should be run. This resource is provided for use by the site's scheduling policy. The allowable val- ues and effect on job placement is site dependent. Units: string. nodes Number and/or type of nodes to be reserved for exclusive use by the job. The value is one or more node_specs joined with the '+' character, "node_spec[+node_spec...]. Each node_spec is an number of nodes required of the type declared in the node_spec and a name or one or more properity or properities desired for the nodes. The number, the name, and each properity in the node_spec are separated by a colon ':'. If no number is specified, one(1) is assumed. Units: string. The name of a node is its hostname. The properities of nodes are: . ppn=# specifying the number of processors per node requested. Defaults to 1. . arbitrary string assigned by the system administrator, please check with your administrator as to the node names and properi- ties available to you. Examples: . To ask for 12 nodes of any type: -l nodes=12 . To ask for 2 "server" nodes and 14 other nodes (a total of 16): -l nodes=2:server+14 The above consist of two node_specs "2:server" and "14". . To ask for (a) 1 node that is a "server" and has a "hippi" interface, (b) 10 nodes that are not servers, and (c) 3 nodes that have a large amount of memory an have hippi: -l nodes=server:hippi+10:noserver+3:bigmem:hippi . To ask for three nodes by name: -l nodes=b2005+b1803+b1813 . To ask for 2 processors on each of four nodes: -l nodes=4:ppn=2 . To ask for 4 processors on one node: -l nodes=1:ppn=4 . To ask for 2 processors on each of two blue nodes and three processors on one red node: -l nodes=2:blue:ppn=2+red:ppn=3 host Allows a user to specify the desired execution location. This resource is provided for use by the site's scheduling policy. The allowable values and effect on job placement is site dependent. Units: string. other Allows a user to specify site specific information. This resource is provided for use by the site's scheduling policy. The allowable values and effect on job placement is site dependent. Units: string. software Allows a user to specify software required by the job. This is useful if certain software packages are only available on cer- tain systems in the site. This resource is provided for use by the site's scheduling policy. The allowable values and effect on job placement is site dependent. Units: string. EXAMPLES
qsub -l nodes=15,walltime=2:00:00 script or in a qsub script as a directive: #PBS -l nodes=15,walltime=2:00:00 qsub -l cput=1:00:00,walltime=2:00:00,file=50gb,mem=15mb script qalter -lcput=30:00,pmem=8mb 123.jobid or in a qsub script as a directive: #PBS -l cput=1:00:00,walltime=2:00:00,file=50gb,mem=15mb RESOURCE UNITS
The resource values take the following units: time specifies a maximum time period the resource can be used. Time is expressed in seconds as an integer, or in the form: [[hours:]minutes:]seconds[.milliseconds] size specifies the maximum amount in terms of bytes or words. It is expressed in the form integer[suffix] The suffix is a multiplier defined in the following table, The size of a word is the word size on the execution host. b or w bytes or words. kb or kw Kilo(1024) bytes or words. mb or mw Mega (1,048,576) bytes or words. gb or gw Giga (1,073,741,824) bytes or words. unitary The maximum amount of a resource which is expressed as a simple integer. SEE ALSO
the PBS ERS, qsub(1B), qalter(1B), pbs_submit(3B), pbs_alterjob(3B), pbs_statjob(3b) pbs_resources_irix5(7B), pbs_resources_sp2(7B), pbs_resources_sunos4(7B), pbs_resources_unicos8(7B) Local pbs_resources_aix4(7B)